Millwood Eyes both Sox's

maggsmaggs

MLB

On this MLB site, go to thew Millwood info, and it says a return to Philly isn't likely and he is eyeing the White Sox and Red Sox. Since, the Red Sox are about to get Schilling and his hefty salary, this means that the White Sox might get Millwood, maybe as a backup if the recent news about Bartolo coming back doesn't happen. :bringit

If the Sox are still interested with Bartolo for 12 mil, why not Millwood for 10?

I think a lot of people are iffy on Millwood being a 10 mill a year pitcher. He has good stuff, but for some reason he is incredibly streaky. Not that Bartolo was great last season, but he can just completely shut an opponent down. At the same time so can Millwood.

If Millwood's price dropped another mill or two, then I could see the Sox get interested, but I got a feeling Colon's price is gonna be around 11-12 mill and I think the Sox may just go for him at that.

My first post on these boards was how I thought the White Sox should try and trade for Milwood last year because the Braves were going to dump him for anything they could get.

I still think Milwood is a good investment because he is only 29, and eventhough his Era went up his k/bb was still pretty close.

That indicates to me that it was not that he lost his stuff, just that more hits were getting through, maybe an off year.

The only stats that changed between 2002 and 2003, was hits run, and earned runs.

In reality Milwood only gave up 30 more hits than 2002, an avg of 1 hit per start. The only real glaring stat is 20 more earned runs in 2002, but if you take away a 7 run start and an 8 run start, he pitched pretty well in 2003.

i really think Milwood could do well in Chicago, and if his price is lower than Colon he may be a better fit.

SB

If you look at Colon's statistics you will notice that he actually pitches better in the A.L. then the N.L.

2002 Cle 16 16 4 2 116.1 104 37 33 11 31 75 10 4 0 0 -- 2.55

2002 Mon 17 17 4 1 117.0 115 48 43 9 39 74 10 4 0 0 -- 3.31

Then look at Milwood in 2002

2002 Atl 35 34 1 1 217.0 186 83 78 16 65 178 18 8 0 0 -- 3.24

Milwood has good stuff, he can pitch in the A.L, if anything he is only going to get better in time, he has a few good pitches, and can be dominant at times.

If he can string the dominance together like 2002, your looking at 20 wins, but on average Milwood will get you 14-16 a year.

SB

But you know what would happen...

We'd be the front runner for him and then Boras would play the same bait and switch game and we'd end up "pounding sand" again...

Forkit!

Exactly. After getting boned by the ARod sweepstakes, and not to mention Weaver and Hill, this team won't deal with Borass.

I think I'd personally rather have Colon.  Though I'd definitely be quite happy w/ either or.  I just hope we end up w/ at least one of these ace pitchers and hopefully sign them to pitch in Chicago for multiple years.

Could you imagine if the Sox just said screw it...bring in two aces, get a few stud relievers and then deal the bats for productive cheaper players, no superstar, just a lot of solid players that all around are good.

Considering Colon's weight and his "ugly" elbow tendon, getting Millwood with a 3 year/$30Million contract would be a much safer gamble that Colon for the same 3 years at $36Million.

I don't know if Millwood can be dominant as often as Colon can, but he is a very good pitcher.