Torii Hunter re-signs with Twins

CSF

Honestly, I don't think so. I have this feeling, he, along with many of his teammates had career years. Taking nothing away from his defensive skills (in 2001, of those losses to the Twins, he was responsible for more than half of them), but he faded down the stretch offensively. Now, of course, I could be wrong, but I just don't see him duplicating those numbers again.

Just to clarify this....

Without their incredibly good defense, Minnesota is a 75 win team, at best...Mientkiewicz makes more plays than you see....that's why their infield looks like they have 4 gold glove candiates....only Koskie and Mientkiewicz should ever be considered. Their outfield has so much range it's uncanny....you can't put it into words. They are a fun team to watch...and would be even more fun if they weren't competing against us.

Hunter will up a season comparable to his 2001 season....hit about .260 or so with 25 homers and 75 RBIs with 25 SBs and f***ing awesome defense. His defense saves about 10 homers a year or so along with several runs as well...probably around 3-5 runs a week. Their pitching staff can also thank their defense....no starter on their team would have had an ERA under 4.00 last year. As it was, only Reed did, and Santana was a swingman that got several starts and several bullpen appearances. They would have lost the division without their defense....meaning we could have won it with about 80 wins. We probably would have won around 85 or so if the Twins defense sucked, but still.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Honestly, I don't think so.  I have this feeling, he, along with many of his teammates had career years.  Taking nothing away from his defensive skills (in 2001, of those losses to the Twins, he was responsible for more than half of them), but he faded down the stretch offensively.  Now, of course, I could be wrong, but I just don't see him duplicating those numbers again.

its been a long off season.. im sure he rested up a bit and wont fade down the stretch .............lol..... i am not counting anyone out of this ...if we lose this division its because we honestly suck and nothing else... the twins have just as much chance as we do and their defense is pretty good... you have to admit that....... we cant win in the baggie dome to save our asses.. untill we can figure that much out were screwed if we visit minnysoda more than they visit us here...........

Cerb...I agree. He plays incredible defense, and is close to a 5-tool player....but he's not worth $8 mill a year. The Twins are going to be beating themselves soon enough....they overpaid for Radke when they signed him and have just now overpaid big time for Hunter.

Then again....we gave Paully just under $8 mill a year as well....and I think Hunter is worth more than Paully....so maybe we overpaid greatly as well.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Cerb...I agree.  He plays incredible defense, and is close to a 5-tool player....but he's not worth $8 mill a year.  The Twins are going to be beating themselves soon enough....they overpaid for Radke when they signed him and have just now overpaid big time for Hunter. 

Then again....we gave Paully just under $8 mill a year as well....and I think Hunter is worth more than Paully....so maybe we overpaid greatly as well.

dont we always over pay though.........im getting used to it now........ :ph34r:

Very few people have ever totally stumped me, you are now one of them.

I took my grandson to see the movie Kangaroo Jack tonight. That is like the worst movie I have seen seen. Pondering this question will keep me from thinking about that movie. :)

Very few people have ever totally stumped me, you are now one of them.

I took my grandson to see the movie Kangaroo Jack tonight.  That is like the worst movie I have seen seen.  Pondering this question will keep me from thinking about that movie.    :)

i thought that movie had potential to be a funny one. too bad.

Cerb...I agree.  He plays incredible defense, and is close to a 5-tool player....but he's not worth $8 mill a year.  The Twins are going to be beating themselves soon enough....they overpaid for Radke when they signed him and have just now overpaid big time for Hunter. 

I also agree. As I told some dumb troll on our mlb.com board, we got Maggs for 9 million next year and they got Hunter for 8. Maggs hit .031 more than Hunter with 9 more bombs and 41 RBIs. Im fine with this. They can have Tori, I wouldnt pay 8 million for him when I can get much better stats for only an extra million.

Torii Hunter may have a lot of talent now, but wait a few years until he fully develops as the AL answer to sam-me sosa.

Just with the ability to play defense.

I don't really know what you're talking about. That guy plays unbelievable D, and he's probably one of the top 5 defensive outfielders in the game right now at centerfield, one of the most demanding positions there is. There's a lot more to baseball than offense alone. All things considered (age, position, defense, offense, etc.), if I had to choose between Magglio and Torii, I think I'd take Torii.

There's a lot more to baseball than offense alone.  All things considered (age, position, defense, offense, etc.), if I had to choose between Magglio and Torii, I think I'd take Torii.

Are you kidding me? I'd take Maggs in a heartbeat.

Torii Hunter's average season up to this point in his career is .271 21 homers 81 RBI 14 SB 81 runs with a .317 OBP and 117 k's a year.

Magglio Ordonez's average season up to this point in his career is .305 31 homers 116 RBI 15 SB 102 runs with an OBP of .362 and 69 k's.

Torii will turn 28 in July....Maggs will be 29. I'd say Maggs has got a huge advantage offensively. And what you are not considering is that you have Joe Borchard, probably the best power hitting outfield prospect in the entire minor leagues, in your minor league system. Not only that, but you have a possible up and coming star in Anthony Webster. Hunter is better defensively than either Borchard or Maggs....hell, I don't think anyone is better than Hunter defensively. But if you choose Hunter over Maggs....I think you're crazy. I'd take Maggs any day of the week, unless I was very, very weak for possible CFers....we are not.

Torii Hunter is good. Damn good. I do not expect his numbers to drop at all. If he was in silver & black I'd be reading that he will "continue to improve". And that is what I expect with him wearing Twinkie blue. As for Maggs vs. Hunter... either one is capable of being the AL MVP this year. And though there might be a slight bit of bias here, I'd stick with Maggs.

Torii Hunter may have a lot of talent now, but wait a few years until he fully develops as the AL answer to sam-me sosa.

Just with the ability to play defense.

I don't really know what you're talking about. That guy plays unbelievable D, and he's probably one of the top 5 defensive outfielders in the game right now at centerfield, one of the most demanding positions there is. There's a lot more to baseball than offense alone. All things considered (age, position, defense, offense, etc.), if I had to choose between Magglio and Torii, I think I'd take Torii.

Thats insane. I respect you doub, but there is no reason to take Hunter over Maggs. He does play good defense altho Maggs does well at his position and you cant fault him for that. We also have Rowand in center and his defense isnt too shabby. Then Hunter and Maggs are about the same age, about the same price and Maggs offense is drastically better. Toris also got this big bad wannabe tough guy attitude that I hate. Id be fine with him on the Sox but not if it meant getting rid of Maggs, who could possibly be the second best rightfielder, if not outfielder, in the game, behind Vladdy...

Torii over Mags??? Not likely, dude. Magglio is by far the most underrated player in the game today. The media can continue their lovefest with Slammin' Sammy across town. The rest of us, though, know who the best RF in the game is.