Schoenny agrees to terms

LostInBoston

Not sure if this was posted before...

The Chicago White Sox avoided salary arbitration with left-hander Scott Schoeneweis, who agreed Monday to a one-year contract worth $1,725,000.

Schoeneweis went 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 20 games after being traded to Chicago from the Anaheim Angels on July 29. He had a 1.17 ERA in his final nine appearances.

The former starter was used solely as a reliever last season, making a career-high 59 appearances out of the bullpen. He was 3-2 with a 4.18 ERA and 56 strikeouts.

Schoeneweis has a 30-32 career record with a 5.08 ERA in 203 games, including 74 starts. He was Anaheim's opening-day starter in 2001 and finished that season with career highs in wins (10), starts (32), innings (205 1-3) and strikeouts (104).

He can earn an additional $275,000 in bonuses based on starts: $25,000 for 10 starts and $50,000 each for 15, 18, 22, 24 and 26

Seems we may have overpaid a bit...

The question that needs to be answered is will he actually start or be a long reliever? If he can win 10-12 games as the 4th or 5th starter than maybe the 1.75M isn't to bad of an investment. I really see some of the younger pitchers making a push for the 4th and 5th roles in the rotation. Schoenenweis might not have what it takes.

The question that needs to be answered is will he actually start or be a long reliever? If he can win 10-12 games as the 4th or 5th starter than maybe the 1.75M isn't to bad of an investment. I really see some of the younger pitchers making a push for the 4th and 5th roles in the rotation. Schoenenweis might not have what it takes.

I'm willing to bet everything i own that he'll be in the rotation at the start of the season. The way i see it KW has already promised Scho a spot.

Call me crazy, but I think Shoenweis will do good starting.  Hw'll be I think like an Esteban Loiaza.  Granted not Loiaza's numbers from last year, but to the tune of 15-10 with a 4.15 era.  I think he could do real well starting.

I can't believe you said that. I am a Schowenweis fan, but I do not see 15-10 with a 4.10 era as realistic expectations. He will be our fourth starter (unless we bring someone else in) and will probably be 10-10 with a 5.20 era. If we can get DW back to where he was two years ago, Schowenweis could end up being the number 5 guy...I don't see Loz and Scho as comparable.

If I recall correctly, Shoeney's career high was 10 wins.  It's hard to say you could count on 15 from him in 2004.

I'd be very happy if we got 10 wins out of Shoe in 2004. That's da best u r gonna hope for I think.