OK Let the fight begin

LDF

a contract is a contract. do you see a player when he has 2 bad yrs giving any money back or asking to take a pay cut b/c of it?

MB doesn't have a contract now, does he? he's not asking for anything to be renegotiated - all we are talking about is a new contract for this year.

I for one do not ever offer to give money back when I have a bad spell at work!

I think players do take lesser amounts after bad years, just usually not with the same team. Hence, JB signes with KC for less than he had from Seattle or less than he had with us and LA. Royce (eveyone's favorite) took a pay cut going to Milwaukee. Players do take less, just not normally with the same team.

ok how bout those who are in a middle of the contract?

mb is in the middle of his contract. what are you talking about?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is bound to the Sox under the labor agreement for a few more years but I don't think he is under a contract right now. The Sox can pay him whatever they will. Is it next year he is eligible for arbitration? That I am not sure of. But as far as I understand it, he is bound to the Sox by the labor agreement but is not under a contract.

he is bound to the Sox under the labor agreement for a few more years but I don't think he is under a contract right now.  The Sox can pay him whatever they will.  Is it next year he is eligible for arbitration?  That I am not sure of.  But as far as I understand it, he is bound to the Sox by the labor agreement but is not under a contract.

same thing in my books. you owe loyalty to the team that got you there.

he is bound to the Sox under the labor agreement for a few more years but I don't think he is under a contract right now.  The Sox can pay him whatever they will.  Is it next year he is eligible for arbitration?  That I am not sure of.  But as far as I understand it, he is bound to the Sox by the labor agreement but is not under a contract.

as a matter of law, and of business, not the same thing at all.

I think if you were in MB's situation you'd feel differently.

Loyalty goes both ways. KW could show some.

he is bound to the Sox under the labor agreement for a few more years but I don't think he is under a contract right now.  The Sox can pay him whatever they will.  Is it next year he is eligible for arbitration?  That I am not sure of.  But as far as I understand it, he is bound to the Sox by the labor agreement but is not under a contract.

ref to the law, he is sox property for 3 or 4 more yrs. ole well that is the breaks.

i am different in my way of thinking on a lot of issues. first i am a mark b fan and wish him well. but when you start saying what he has, then i get a little put off. next i started this post to get the conversation goiing for the soxfest and to take up some lag time.

but most importantly if i can change something in baseball, it would be the contract. lets have it as a performance laden contract where how you do determines your money. you do good then the money is good, if not then you don't get the money.

saying what he said about going to stl is not b/c of the money, its b/c he wants to be there and as a fan, i say then if he doesn't want to be part of the team. trade him and lets get the best we can, and lets do this after this season.

but most importantly if i can change something in baseball, it would be the contract. lets have it as a performance laden contract where how you do determines your money. you do good then the money is good, if not then you don't get the money.

You thing Durham swings for the fences now, try to give him more money to hit. I would make the official scorers job something, on every play he's costing either the batter or the pitcher money.

ref to the law, he is sox property for 3 or 4 more yrs. ole well that is the breaks.

i am different in my way of thinking on a lot of issues. first i am a mark b fan and wish him well. but when you start saying what he has, then i get a little put off. next i started this post to get the conversation goiing for the soxfest and to take up some lag time.

saying what he said about going to stl is not b/c of the money, its b/c he wants to be there and as a fan, i say then if he doesn't want to be part of the team. trade him and lets get the best we can, and lets do this after this season.

There is no way in hell I can fault Mark Buerhle for this.

There is no way in hell I can fault Mark Buerhle for this.

how many players have favorite teams or a home town team. yet when they are drafted by another team, you hardly hear them say some of the things that mark has in 2 banquets. esp asking at one to bring him home. that is not classy.

how many players have favorite teams or a home town team. yet when they are drafted by another team, you hardly hear them say some of the things that mark has in 2 banquets. esp asking at one to bring him home. that is not classy.

What KW did to MB last season, salarywise, was "not classy" either.

he is the property of the sox and if kw played within the rules that has been establish then why is it a problem. again i make the comparision of another player and this time someone who is a fringe player, would you or anyone be as upset as you are now?

baseball has some uncertian rules that you are not to step on. what mark did was trample on them.

First of all, I'm not upset. I just find it very easy to put myself in MB's shoes here. What KW did was petty, whether it was within the rules or not. Mark knows that Cardinals treat their players with class and diginity. Scott Rolen got a taste of it and signed without ever going on the free agent market. Big Mac did the same thing a few years ago, after being traded there in mid-season. The Sox make it a habit of disrespecting their players, unless they are one of JR's favorites.

he is the property of the sox and if kw played within the rules that has been establish then why is it a problem. again i make the comparision of another player and this time someone who is a fringe player, would you or anyone be as upset as you are now?

baseball has some uncertian rules that you are not to step on. what mark did was trample on them.

And when they report to spring training.. he'll be reminded just what those rules are, and taught a better way to follow them.

i don't see why i am the only one who see this comment by mark as a slap on the face toward the fans, teammates and the sox org.

LDF.. you're not. Which is why I said he'll get reminded when he get's down to AZ. Right or wrong on the principal... it was just the same as Paul speaking out about Frank... What did it take him.. 6 hours to apologize?

i don't see why i am the only one who see this comment by mark as a slap on the face toward the fans, teammates and the sox org.

LDF.. you're not. Which is why I said he'll get reminded when he get's down to AZ. Right or wrong on the principal... it was just the same as Paul speaking out about Frank... What did it take him.. 6 hours to apologize?

I kinda see this as a slap in the face. Ill bet Kenny Williams does too. And since KWs the guy in charge, hes gonna win.

I wonder if KW could get so pissed that he actually demoted MB for a season or something. Youd have to be truly insane but ya never know. Some people myself included are just quick to anger...

I kinda see this as a slap in the face. Ill bet Kenny Williams does too. And since KWs the guy in charge, hes gonna win.

I wonder if KW could get so pissed that he actually demoted MB for a season or something. Youd have to be truly insane but ya never know. Some people myself included are just quick to anger...

KW may be the GM.. but don't be fooled, JR is the man in charge. Just like with Frank.. Kenny will never win that battle either.

kw is an idiot but he is not that much of an idiot,

i thought so, sorry. but i was still seeing red.

If anyone will be ticked at Buerhle, I have to believe it is JR. He's the one paying the contracts and throwing the money out and when he heres things like that I'm sure he gets upset.

KW has to know that this is a business and players will say what they will. Still, I think Mark should stay quiet on this issue because he's stuck in Chicago for a while. I think he is happy here though and for all we know its a ploy to get a better contract.

Who knows, but I'm not going to worry about any of it because we have him for a while and a lot can happen in the next couple years.

If anyone will be ticked at Buerhle, I have to believe it is JR.  He's the one paying the contracts and throwing the money out and when he heres things like that I'm sure he gets upset.

KW has to know that this is a business and players will say what they will.  Still, I think Mark should stay quiet on this issue because he's stuck in Chicago for a while.  I think he is happy here though and for all we know its a ploy to get a better contract.

Who knows, but I'm not going to worry about any of it because we have him for a while and a lot can happen in the next couple years.

I think Mark would be a lot smarter if he would be quiet, but I can't blame him for feeling the way he does. Since he's stuck here for a few years, it would be best for him if he would keep his feelings to himself. It could really be a rough few years if he alienates the fans. Just ask Clayton!