Espn article

Jordan4life_2007

It is interesting that they call Frank a borderline HOFer.  I would think if he hits to 500 HRs he is a first ballot guy.  What does everyone else think.

Frank had one of the most productive decades for a hitter ever. He still has a great career batting average. I think he should make the Hall regardless if he hits 500 HR or not. But judging by how unpopular he is as a player, he'll need to hit 500 because the hall is not only about stats, its also about popularity.

It is interesting that they call Frank a borderline HOFer.  I would think if he hits to 500 HRs he is a first ballot guy.  What does everyone else think.

Career DH, love affair with the media, championships, All-Star appearances. Sorry not a first ballot. I find the whole first ballot thing weird. Like the guy improves in a year of not playing. Frank is going to need another strong season or two.

I believe for a couple year span he was the best batter in baseball. I was going to say hitter but his eye was awesome. I can remember bars falling silent when Frank came to bat. The confidence he showed at the plate is world class.

The career batting average over .300, the batting title, the 2 MVPs to Bagwell's 1, some pretty sick OPS numbers and the final HR and RBI titles will make Frank Thomas a first ballot HOFer.  Championships or no championships.  (Hopefully championships).  ;)

Exactly...and Thomas has that mark of being the only player in the history of the game to hit .300 w/ 20+ HRs, 100 RBIs, 100 Runs, and 100 BBs in 7 straight seasons.

Exactly...and Thomas has that mark of being the only player in the history of the game to hit .300 w/ 20+ HRs, 100 RBIs, 100 Runs, and 100 BBs in 7 straight seasons.

Also has the 3rd best active career OPS(only Bonds and Helton are above him), which also means he has the best active career OPS for right-handed hitters. I believe he is just under 1.000 for his career, but I know it is borderline 1.000.

Frank hasn't hit since 2000 (batted .257 since)... He better get his average back to respectable numbers, otherwise the last few years will weigh heavily on the voters minds. If he doesn't get back to around three hundred his career number will really take a hit too. He's at .310 right now, not all that impressive for a guy who is pretty much career DH.

HIs first 10 years, frank batted .320, since .257. A difference of more than sixty points. And almost 100 points lower than his best for a single year.

QUOTE (southsider2k4 @ Feb 4 2004, 07:00 PM)

It is interesting that they call Frank a borderline HOFer. I would think if he hits to 500 HRs he is a first ballot guy. What does everyone else think.

if (when) frank gets his 500th i think that will insure his 1st ballot win

i think if injury ended his career right now he'd get in on the 3rd or 4th try

i also think frank will play another 5 years

Definately.  If Don Mattingly can get the kind of HOF support he does, Frank Thomas would be Barry Bonds in stature, if he played in NYC.

I know you agreed with me, but to reinforce my point, take a look at and compare stats for Whitey Ford vs. Billy Pierce. Keep in mind that they were both lefty starters playing at relatively the same era.

if frank had reversed his career..started off slow and then that 7 year stretch was towards the end of his career he would for sure be a first ballot hall of famer...look at soso..he stunk the first half of his career but has a dfew career years(about3) at the right time and he probably goes in first ballot..its all about what have you done for me lately...

i just had a sick thought...what happens if thomas and soso go in the hall the same year??...that would suck

if frank had reversed his career..started off slow and then that 7 year stretch was towards the end of his career he would for sure be a first ballot hall of famer...look at soso..he stunk the first half of his career but has a dfew career years(about3) at the right time and he probably goes in first ballot..its all about what have you done for me lately...

i just had a sick thought...what happens if thomas and soso go in the hall the same year??...that would suck

I think Sammy will be one of those guys who doesn't know when to quit, because he needs the attention. I don't think Frank will play for more than 3 or 4 years. Nothing to base that on, just a feeling.