Moneyball strikes again

Cerbaho-WG

What's with this fascination of these Dodger prospects?

Who the hell cares?

Cheer for who you've got and put this Dodger BS to rest, all these deals have been speculated for months and not a thing has happened yet, nor will any deal involving Honel. Mark my words on that and take it to the bank.

Honel never was about velocity.  That Knuckle-Curve was supposed to be his pitch..

I know that, but most of his success came when he was throwin' 92-94.

It's not easy getting away with a 89-90mph heater, knuckle-curve or not.

I meantioned Honel because I like Cotts and Reed more. And without giving up a top prospect, swinging both Jackson and Miller, even for Thomas, is all but impossible.

Hopefully Honel has a really big year down at Birmingham like Cotts did, although we shouldn't expect him in Chicago by late 2005 at the earliest. He didn't really dominate down at Winston - Salem goin 9-7, but I really liked his 42BB / 122 SO ratio. If he can start throwin back in da 90's, he can easily be one of our top 2 or 3 starters in da future.

If he is a stat freak it will be interesting to see what his take on Maddux is....

I know Maddux stats last year weren't overwhelming and he's only about a 6 inning pitcher...

However I imagine this is why Maddux said he won't be signing to Feb. 17th the earliest... I'm bet the Dodgers told  Boras their GM situation would be straight by this weekend so they can make an actual offer

Where does this 6 inning pitcher stuff come from? Maddux had 15 starts of more than 6 innings last yr which is damm good for the NL, Buehrle had 17.

Where does this 6 inning pitcher stuff come from? Maddux had 15 starts of more than 6 innings last yr which is damm good for the NL, Buehrle had 17.

There seems to be a lot of people on this board that think Maddux is washed up, but I just don't see it. He had a horrendous April 2003, but after that, he was still Greg Maddux.

There seems to be a lot of people on this board that think Maddux is washed up, but I just don't see it.  He had a horrendous April 2003, but after that, he was still Greg Maddux.

Hopefully he won't sign with a team based on money e.g Tom Glavine and Ivan Rodriguez. I agree YASNY, he's still a crafty veteran who can easily win 15 games in a season in the rite environment.

Cheer for who you've got and put this Dodger BS to rest, all these deals have been speculated for months and not a thing has happened yet, nor will any deal involving Honel.  Mark my words on that and take it to the bank.

hey, that sounds eerily similar to what kenny said at soxfest.

does he teach a media relations/public speaking class or something? :bang

hey, that sounds eerily similar to what kenny said at soxfest.

does he teach a media relations/public speaking class or something?

:bang

Funny, funny.

Nonetheless, it's okay to complain for a while, but after a while it gets rather old...

There seems to be a lot of people on this board that think Maddux is washed up, but I just don't see it.  He had a horrendous April 2003, but after that, he was still Greg Maddux.

I do not think he is washed up, not by a long shot. Still will take him over Ponson and probably over Colon too given his huge contract.

But at the same time, 20 Mill over 2 years for a a 38-year-old?

No way.

I do not think he is washed up, not by a long shot.  Still will take him over Ponson and probably over Colon too given his huge contract.

But at the same time, 20 Mill over 2 years for a a 38-year-old?

No way.

I agree Brando. But, if was going to pay any 38 year old pitcher that, Maddux would be one I'd consider.

The only one I can think of is Mike Mussina, who has won 199 games in his career. Other than that, I draw a blank.

And who knows if Honel will ever come close to sniffing the success of Mussina.

The only one I can think of is Mike Mussina, who has won 199 games in his career.  Other than that, I draw a blank. 

And who knows if Honel will ever come close to sniffing the success of Mussina.

Mussina has a mid 90's fastball.

Honestly I don't understand it, he had difficulty getting that patented late movement of his on his fastball early in the yr and balls that were normally popups and flyouts were leaving the yard, he was able to get it back though and finished strong. If he had ended the season with no movement on his fastball then yea there'd be reason for concern.

Buehrle likewise had problems getting his slider to slide early in the season but he also was able to turn it around.

Maddux will sign with the Giants, win 16-18 games, and help them get to the WS.

The Sox on the otherhand will at best be a 3 and done playoff team or more likely a trade deadline seller, but hey at least we didn't sign some 38 yr old washed up 6 inning pitcher.