rolling stones top 100 guitarists

baggio202

hope this wasnt already posted..i couldnt find a thread on it..sorry if it was...

100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag

98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer

97 Robert Randolph

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine

94 Bert Jansch

93 Wayne Kramer of the MC5

92 Fred "Sonic" Smith of the MC5

91 Robby Krieger of the Doors

90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper

89 D. Boon of the Minutemen

88 Dave Davies of the Kinks

87 Joan Jett

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

85 Randy Rhoads

84 Eddie Cochran

83 Neil Young

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

81 Derek Trucks

80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids

79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)

78 Robbie Robertson of the Band

77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat

76 Ali Farka Toure

75 Adam Jones of Tool

74 Johnny Winter

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

72 Joni Mitchell

71 Lightnin' Hopkins

70 Eddie Van Halen

69 Steve Howe of Yes

68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape

67 Link Wray

66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour

65 Hubert Sumlin

64 Mick Ronson

63 Danny Gatton

62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band

61 Ike Turner

60 Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead

59 Ed O'Brien of Radiohead

58 Dickey Betts

57 Roy Buchanan

56 Tom Verlaine of Television

55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple

54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane

53 Mickey Baker

52 Lou Reed

51 Paul Kossoff of Free

50 Pete Townshend

49 John McLaughlin

48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith

47 T-Bone Walker

46 Les Paul

45 Frank Zappa

44 Scotty Moore

43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic

42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson

41 Clarence White of the Byrds

40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival

39 Brian May of Queen

38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac

37 Bo Diddley

36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's

35 John Fahey

34 Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth

33 Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth

32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service

31 #### Dale

30 Buddy Guy

29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges

28 Stephen Stills

27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

25 Freddy King

24 The Edge of U2

23 Warren Haynes

22 Mike Bloomfield

21 George Harrison

20 James Burton

19 Richard Thompson

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

17 Jack White of the White Stripes

16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones

15 Carlos Santana

14 Jeff Beck

13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones

9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

8 Ry Cooder

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

6 Chuck Berry

5 Robert Johnson

4 Eric Clapton

3 B.B. King

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

1 Jimi Hendrix

17. Jack White -- WTF!?!?!?

Also I read through twice without seeing Buddy Guy... I was going to throw something through my computer.

Ben Harper --- incerdible guitar player, uses anywhere from 6-10 diffent guitars in a show --- certainly better than Robert Randolph, who plays a simillar style-slide guitar

17. Jack White -- WTF!?!?!?

Also I read through twice without seeing Buddy Guy... I was going to throw something through my computer.

Ben Harper --- incerdible guitar player, uses anywhere from 6-10 diffent guitars in a show --- certainly better than Robert Randolph, who plays a simillar style-slide guitar

Buddy Guy is #30.

I guess I should have stated, i had enough patience to read through a third time... saving my computer from certain doom.

Don't kill the messenger (computer), it can be very costly. The list is problematic, to say the least - but as long as you consider inclusion among the top 100 rather than rank order, I agree with a good deal of it.

Exclusion of Charlie Christian (the FATHER of the friggin' electric guitar) is inexcusable, especially when other archetypal influences like Robert Johnson are included. Exclusion of Buddy Holly (Rock and Roll's first guitar hero) is also bad.

For pure stunt guitar brilliance, leaving Vai, Satriani, or Eric Johnson off is odd.

Even as overlooked as the Dixie Dreggs are, Steve Morse should have made the list, especially since Danny Gatton and Roy Buchannan did rightly make the cut.

I like the White Stripes quite a bit, but didn't Jack White start playing guitar like, last Thursday?!?

I have to admit there are a lot of players on here that this old man doesn't know, so I can't make an honest evaluation. Get me my walker, Sonny...

johnny ramone 16???

i liked punk rock and thr ramones were one of my favorites but cmon on..you have to know all of 3 chords to play punk..then guys like eddie van halen are number 70 and angus young 95??

perhaps the greatest guirtarist of all time..peter kath from chicago (atleast thats what jimi hendrix said) didnt even make the list...

Johnny Ramone & Kurt Cobain are both in the top 16... :puke

Did either guy ever manage to play more than 3 chords in their entire lifetime?

Anytime you see Eddie Van Halen ranked #70 on an all time guitarist list, you know it's a joke.

johnny ramone 16???

i liked punk rock and thr ramones were one of my favorites but cmon on..you have to know all of 3 chords to play punk..then guys like eddie van halen are number 70 and angus young 95??

perhaps the greatest guirtarist of all time..peter kath from chicago (atleast thats what jimi hendrix said) didnt even make the list...

I'm kinda slow...looks like I pretty much copied what you posted! :D

johnny ramone 16???

You mean Terry Kath ... he's the guy who put a bullet through his head playimg a drunken game of Russian Roulette.

Unless you're talking about Peter Green, one of the founders of Fleetwood Mac, along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, he was the guy who wrote Black Magic Woman ... later made famous by Carlos Santana.

Interesting about this list as well ... Stephen Stills well above Neil Young, I wonder how Neil feels about that. Having seen them both dozens of times, I can't disagree. Stills learned his guitar chops from Hendrix and Clapton, and had it not been for substance abuse, Stills would get a lot more credit than he already does.

For three good examples, listen to Stills' guitar work on "Bluebird" by the Buffalo Springfield, the background guitars on Eric Clapton's "Let It Rain" and of course the CSN masterpiece "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes".

Even on some of Neil Young's great songs, it is Stills' guitar work which stands up so well ... witness "Mr. Soul" and any live version of "Down By The River".

You mean Terry Kath ... he's the guy who put a bullet through his head playimg a drunken game of Russian Roulette.

Unless you're talking about Peter Green, one of the founders of Fleetwood Mac, along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, he was the guy who wrote Black Magic Woman ... later made famous by Carlos Santana.

Interesting about this list as well ... Stephen Stills well above Neil Young, I wonder how Neil feels about that.  Having seen them both dozens of times, I can't disagree.  Stills learned his guitar chops from Hendrix and Clapton, and had it not been for substance abuse, Stills would get a lot more credit than he already does.

For three good examples, listen to Stills' guitar work on "Bluebird" by the Buffalo Springfield, the background guitars on Eric Clapton's "Let It Rain" and of course the CSN masterpiece "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes".

Even on some of Neil Young's great songs, it is Stills' guitar work which stands up so well ... witness "Mr. Soul" and any live version of "Down By The River".

youre right the first time..it was terry kath..my bad

youre right the first time..it was terry kath..my bad

Terry was something - a personal favorite, as was the whole band through the first 10 albums even after Terry cashed it in. But the nod from Hendrix I believe is second- or third-hand embelishment. The up-and-coming guitarist Jimi did mention on several occasions as being the guy that blew him away ehen he saw him was actually Billy Gibbons. I think ZZ Top jumped the shark an album or two before Eliminator (And I absolutely thought Recycler sp? was an appropriately named album, as self-derivitive as it was), but Gibbon's guitar work on the early albums doed Texas guitarslingers proud.

Was Billy even on the list? What about Alvin Lee?

As to Stills Vs. Young, I would have put Neil higher on the list than Stephen. And not as a knock to Stills, who was technically the better player in his prime. Style and feel have to be part of the selection process though, and Neil's one-string (hell, sometimes one-note!) guitar solos are nothing but style and feel. He's important as a bridge between the old guard and new guard grungers too.

Underrated (re. the List)

Angus Young @ 96

David Gilmour @ 82

Eddie VanHalen @ 70

Vernon Reid @ 67

Pete Townsend @ 50

Brian May @ 39

BUDDY GUY @ 30!?

Overrated

Chuck Berry @ 6

Stevie Ray @ 7

Jerry Garcia @ 13

Jack White @ 17 (A f***ing joke!)

George harrison @ 21

Edge @ 24

Like I say, I'm noot going to nitpick the order of all but the demigods (Jimi et al), as long as they made the list. I would happily lose Angus from that list if it frees up a spot for Billy Gibbons though. :D

OK, it's also bugging me that not one of the Sreely Dan guitar ringers is on there.  Elliot Randall, Skunk Baxter, Rick Derringer, Denny Dias... one of them at least should have cracked the top 100.

Skunk Baxter & Rick Derringer both belong.