Sox minor leaguers

chicago

chicago, thanks for the kind words but I dont worry at all why I dont get the so called recognition of some of the other guys in the org. I have no control over what other people think, all I can do is go out every outing and compete and win. I have no doubt in my mind that I will pitch in the bigs one day. THe whole prospect ranking stuff doesnt always give a clear picture to what a guy has done it is more based on projection and age and velocity play a big role in it as well. Since I dont throw much harder than 91 and the fact I'm 23, my prospect status slips a bit. That doesnt mean that I will never have the chance to pitch at the big league level. Thanks for the question.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim....I think you can make it. Hell, if you look at most of the lefties in the league, they don't throw much harder than 93 or 94.....and that's at the most. Kirk Reuter rarely gets above 90 for the Giants and our own Mark Buehrle touches 92 every once in a while, right? It's all about how you pitch, and not necessarily how hard you throw it....I look for results and to see how the guy pitches....not how fast his fastball is(unless you're a bullpen guy).

Stick with it...I am crossing my fingers for you to get up to the big leagues. :D

Guest hotsoxchick1

hmmmm ldf .. you want to know my favorite minor guys... dang i grew up with so many.........or should i say watched them grow up ..........i would really like to see almonte do something this year... i feel like i have been watching him for a million years now in the minors...lol....and of course borchard and miles have special places in my heart.........they will do good in s.t. i think...... my boy miguel graduated so im glad ill be seeing him up here....and my other guy joey valentine is gone .. i still plan to keep tabs on him over there in oaktown because i want to shove it down kw's throat when he kicks bootay out there on the left coast..........(still wondering why he traded him).......ill be watching to see if hummel improves a bit....and im anxious to see some new faces down in birmingham this year....and kinda nervous about it too.. i guess i have seen some of these same guys for so long its kinda hard to imagine the whole team going through a face lift.....but hey we got the championship this past season.....so lets see how the newbies hold up to that........... :D

I'll be rooting for you too Jim.  You seem like such a humble player with the right attitude. 

All I can say is Jamie Moyer, look what he's done and he can't even touch the 90's. 

Keep working hard and I think you can do it  :headbang

Ok, fill me in - I know little about Jim Bullard other than he roots for the As -

http://ucsbgauchos.ocsn.com/sports/m-baseb...lard_jim00.html

I suppose maybe that's changed now? :D

for people like me unfamiliar with Jim Bullard, fill me in!

Well I wondered this morning what was all the fuss about in Sox Minor Leaguers. Now I know. Hello Mr. Bullard. Welcome to the boards. Your presence brings joy to the fans here. Murcie, Jason, Molto, I propose an official column for Bullard to post at, on sending us articles and such, (when he is availible), it would be real cool.

Mr. Bullard, good luck with your career. You are one of the few gifted athletes in sports who aren't jerks when people like us just want to talk and get sig's at the baseball games.

Mr. Bullard, welcome to the message boards.

Re: The Sox AA club, the Birmingham Barons, are looking like they are going to have a lousy team this year.

The Barons have looked like they were going to be lousy the last three years, yet have made the playoffs all three. The talent level was highest in 2000 yet no playoffs. I wouldn't necessarily write them down as being lousy just yet.

On Munoz:

I don't buy that he lacks stamina. He has not been a starter before, so how would anyone know? The fact that he is smaller and isn't Mr. Muscles probably lead everyone to that conclusion, but who knows. I am guessing that he started in the bullpen because of his age and body type. He pitched well for the Barons many times in 3-4 inning outings. Stamina is something you build and it hard to build when you are used out of the pen in the 6th-8th innings.

The problem with starting him is, where do you put him and the number of innings he has pitched this past year. Do you put him back in AA to start him? Do you wait until there is an opening in AAA and put a guy who has never started before in the rotation? It can be done. Matt Guerrier was converted to a starter in 2001 after posting 26 saves in 2000. It will be interesting to see how the Sox handle him.

And for what it is worth, his stuff is quite nasty. He just smiles all the time and gets people out. I liked watching him pitch.

I liked watching him pitch.

do you live near the team - how do you get to see the players?

thanks for the on the spot reviews, it helps a whole lot for people like me who are mostly clueless as to what is happening in the minors -

since joining this board I have learned a lot, a whole lot.

On Miles:

This is a big year for Aaron. He was a bit old for AA last year and it was his first real breakout year. Aaron is a solid player but he will have to step it up again this year. If he can duplicate or come close to his 2002 numbers, then the Sox or someone will have to take him seriously.

If he goes back to hitting .275 with 8 HR and 45 RBI and 12 SB, then he bascially is showing that he is a AAA player at best. There are a lot of guys who can excel at AA and AAA, but never work out in the bigs. Sometimes it is because they don't get the chance, other times it is because they just aren't good enough to take it to the next level.

My best guess with Miles is that he will end up being that AAAA type player. He'll be solid at AAA but not spectacular. I know Backman liked him and likens him to himself, so it may be a lack of opportunity that holds him back. What hurts him is Jiminez/Harris/Hummel in front of him. They will all get an opportunity before Miles, unless he just blows them away in ST.

Re: The Sox AA club, the Birmingham Barons, are looking like they are going to have a lousy team this year.

The Barons have looked like they were going to be lousy the last three years, yet have made the playoffs all three.  The talent level was highest in 2000 yet no playoffs.  I wouldn't necessarily write them down as being lousy just yet.

Welcome aboard Hudler. Or should we call ya the wonder dog ;)

This year the Barons could be fun to watch if there pitching comes through like I think it will.

On Munoz:

I don't buy that he lacks stamina.  He has not been a starter before, so how would anyone know?  The fact that he is smaller and isn't Mr. Muscles probably lead everyone to that conclusion, but who knows.  I am guessing that he started in the bullpen because of his age and body type.  He pitched well for the Barons many times in 3-4 inning outings.  Stamina is something you build and it hard to build when you are used out of the pen in the 6th-8th innings.

The problem with starting him is, where do you put him and the number of innings he has pitched this past year.  Do you put him back in AA to start him?  Do you wait until there is an opening in AAA and put a guy who has never started before in the rotation?  It can be done.  Matt Guerrier was converted to a starter in 2001 after posting 26 saves in 2000.  It will be interesting to see how the Sox handle him.

And for what it is worth, his stuff is quite nasty. He just smiles all the time and gets people out.  I liked watching him pitch.

In the very last sentence were you referring to Guerrier or Munoz?

Also, do you get to watch quite a few Birmingham games?

Thanks for all your comments on those prospects. I liked Guerrier in spring last year. I was angered when they dealt him for Marte and Edwin Yan, but in retrospect it looks like a good move. Marte is filthy while Yan has amazing speed and could turn into a pretty good 2nd baseman, although he has a ways to go.

On Munoz:

I don't buy that he lacks stamina.  He has not been a starter before, so how would anyone know?  The fact that he is smaller and isn't Mr. Muscles probably lead everyone to that conclusion, but who knows.  I am guessing that he started in the bullpen because of his age and body type.  He pitched well for the Barons many times in 3-4 inning outings.  Stamina is something you build and it hard to build when you are used out of the pen in the 6th-8th innings.

The problem with starting him is, where do you put him and the number of innings he has pitched this past year.  Do you put him back in AA to start him?  Do you wait until there is an opening in AAA and put a guy who has never started before in the rotation?  It can be done.  Matt Guerrier was converted to a starter in 2001 after posting 26 saves in 2000.  It will be interesting to see how the Sox handle him.

And for what it is worth, his stuff is quite nasty.   He just smiles all the time and gets people out.  I liked watching him pitch.

welcome aboard and i hope to see a lot of your post, esp when the bham season starts. :D

now with ref to munoz, i posted several of the articles from BA where sox management has stated that even tho he has great stuff, he seems to be out of gas when the 40+ pitch count comes around. which if you look at it, he will make a great rp. however after the season and during xmas, the sox management were intrigue with the idea of converting him to a sp. in a article the sox are very interested in monoz as a sp if he can work and build up on his staminia. all that was said of his strenghts came from direct quotes from the sox org.

now in ref to the bham, i can't wait to see who will be there. you are going to have bullard, munoz, stumm i think, cotts. man that pitching lineup is exciting just thinking about it. with many more that i haven't mention. i can't wait to see who of the positional players are going to be there. gonzales, morse, and some of the the class A players who will get promoted.

so the point is, are we to judge bham by its win/lose record? which i think will be very good. are we to judge them by if them make the playoff or anything like that? for me, i wish i was there b/c i will be judging them with the development of the players who will be there and i do think they will do good. these group of young players coming up will catupult the sox back in the top 10 in the farm system ratings, after this 100 prospect have been announce(BA). just mark my words on this. for 2 yrs i been spouting off on the pitching of sfo, the 2 pitchers of oak, the cat in ana. now look. i been on the dime so far. actually very lucky :lol:

either way, these guys have me very excited with the future of the sox. the only problem is in ref to the pitchers, were do we put them?

TO:  LDF.  Right on.  Where do we put them?  That's why we should not be in the market for more slugs like Rick White.  (I do not put the Flasher in that category)

most of the pitching prospect are about 1 yr from being ready, except for maybe rauch.

Were going to have one helluva rotation!

The prospects that are going to be ready soon are why I believe we are going to dominate the central for the next 10 years.

Hopefully with Jim and co. leading the way.

but Jim will prolly win 20 games, a cy young, and leave the organization, because JR wont pay him the money he's worth.

TO:  LDF.  Right on.  Where do we put them?  That's why we should not be in the market for more slugs like Rick White.  (I do not put the Flasher in that category)

most of the pitching prospect are about 1 yr from being ready, except for maybe rauch.

Well Almonte is ready. I think Sanders is ready too. Munoz is ready, but since he threw so much the Sox would be best off working him slowly this year.

TO:  LDF.  Right on.  Where do we put them?  That's why we should not be in the market for more slugs like Rick White.  (I do not put the Flasher in that category)

Well Almonte is ready. I think Sanders is ready too. Munoz is ready, but since he threw so much the Sox would be best off working him slowly this year.

i will respect your opinion, however i might not agree with it. i think all could use at least another yr in the minors. eso sanders and munoz.

Were going to have one helluva rotation!

The prospects that are going to be ready soon are why I believe we are going to dominate the central for the next 10 years.

Hopefully with Jim and co. leading the way.

but Jim will prolly win 20 games, a cy young, and leave the organization, because JR wont pay him the money he's worth.

Cleveland's farm system is better than ours, as of now. Too many high level prospects (in AA, AAA) to pass up, compared to our high level prospects who are in A ball.

i will respect your opinion, however i might not agree with it. i think all could use at least another yr in the minors. eso sanders and munoz.

Almonte is ready. Munoz could pitch up here, as well as Sanders.