ESPN Reporting Sheffield Injured

elrockinMT

It didn't take long for the speculation to start. From the NY Post:

March 9, 2004 -- TAMPA - Magglio Ordonez and Ken Griffey can be had if the Yankees want to take on $14 million or $66.5 million to replace Gary Sheffield in right should Sheffield need surgery on his injured right thumb.

Or Joe Torre can take the trio of Kenny Lofton, Bernie Williams and Hideki Matsui and find who best fits into right field once Williams is healthy. Travis Lee told Torre he is more comfortable in left field than right, but first base is Lee's best position. Other names in the mix are Darren Bragg, Bubba Crosby and Tony Clark.

However, Torre is waiting to see the extent of Sheffield's injury before making other plans. And while Torre may be reluctant to move Matsui from left to right, at least Matsui played the position in Japan. Williams and Lofton have not played there.

"I never played it," said Lofton, who was shocked to hear that Sheffield may miss three months if he requires thumb surgery. "I have never done it before, but if they want me to, I would do whatever needs to be done to help the team."

Lofton quickly understood what his biggest shortcoming would be in right, where the team's strongest arm usually resides.

"I don't want to show off my gun," said Lofton, whose arm strength has subsided over the years. "I have to trick them."

Lofton remembers spending two innings of an All Star Game, possibly 1998 in Coors Field, in left but getting no balls hit to him.

Matsui played left field as a rookie in Japan and moved briefly to right before landing in center field. Torre said he has never used Williams anywhere other than center except for an All Star Game.

"I would do anything the team wants," Matsui said.

As for getting Ordonez or Griffey, at first blush it doesn't seem likely. But how likely did it look that Alex Rodriguez would be a Yankee in the immediate days after Aaron Boone blew out a knee playing basketball a month ago?

Saw on ESPN Bottomline ticker that Sheffield will play with the injury and return later this week.

Yeah, i saw that today, and im thinking, wow, thats some casual news. One second, the Yankees are scrambling to find a new right fielder, the next minute, Sheffield will be fine(in the words of Cashman). I guess anyone in fantasy leagues that got stuck with Sheffy, are feeling much better.