guess who pitched 6 scoreless innings

Ishmookie

I'll never forget when I heard about the trade, the first words out of my mouth were "Where the hell is Brian Giles?" .... I was stunned Giles wasn't part of that deal.  That said, it's history and cannot be changed.

I said the very same thing. I was sitting with a colleague and we had both heard that the Sox were going after Giles. How he mysteriously disappeared from that trade, I have no idea.....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the very same thing.  I was sitting with a colleague and we had both heard that the Sox were going after Giles.  How he mysteriously disappeared from that trade, I have no idea.....

That's one of life's greatest mysteries. :huh:

Did anyone honestly, here, as a Sox fan, see the potential for the numbers he put up in Pitt as a member of the Sox? I sure as hell didn't.

Naah, nobody saw the potential for what he's doing now. And if they say they did, you can bet your last dollar that they were saying the same things about Scott Ruffcorn's potential back in 1993.

Naah, nobody saw the potential for what he's doing now.  And if they say they did, you can bet your last dollar that they were saying the same things about Scott Ruffcorn's potential back in 1993.

Bulls***... Kipper was the starting pitcher for my favorite sox memory, probably his too.

Check out my profile....

HE WAS A KID...

And outdueled Bartolo Colon on that day

Monday, June 19 
» Defeated Indians (35-31), 6-1 Comiskey Park II (18-10) 45-24 Won 8 
» Game Story | W: Kip Wells (4-5) L: Bartolo Colon (6-4)  First --

Naah, nobody saw the potential for what he's doing now.  And if they say they did, you can bet your last dollar that they were saying the same things about Scott Ruffcorn's potential back in 1993.

I've been reading Rex's posts in here long enough to know that if he said he saw Kipper's potential, then I believe it.

Bulls***... Kipper was the starting pitcher for my favorite sox memory, probably his too.

Check out my profile....

HE WAS A KID...

Well, you know what I'm saying. Everyone has potential, but it's the mental aspect that sets these guys apart. It's kind of hard to predict how a guy will progress in that sense.

KIP WELLS!  :fyou  todd richie. he would be # 3 or 4 and fogg would be 5 or our CLOSER remember he was our best closing prospect.

hey, i got an idea....how bout we dwell on the past....

he's gone, get over it.

Well, you know what I'm saying.  Everyone has potential, but it's the mental aspect that sets these guys apart.  It's kind of hard to predict how a guy will progress in that sense.

Which is exactly why I expected great things from him..... Aaron Myette, I questioned. Matt Ginter, there were questions. Garland never talked so nobody knew.

I never had a doubt that given time, Kip would be a very good Major League pitcher. How good he would be is arbitrary, but what he has done has not surprised me one bit.

I said the very same thing.  I was sitting with a colleague and we had both heard that the Sox were going after Giles.  How he mysteriously disappeared from that trade, I have no idea.....

My thoughts exactly to echo YAS and Rex. I thought that any trade with the Pirates would include Giles. I couldn't understand trading two pitching prospects for one pitcher with only a fair history. I think it was the KW mentality of that time to trade propects for what was seen as an established player to help right away. Wells was developing and Fogg never had the chance with the Sox. We have seen how hard it is to bring the young arms around to be consistent ML pitchers. Garland took a long time and Wells was right there too. Rausch is an example of how long it takes to develop. I think this year KW held back the urge to trade our top prospects for someone else's "fair" hurler.

WHO THE f*** CARES!!!!! IT IS OVER AND DONE WITH! GET OVER IT!!!!!!

PERHAPS SOME OF US WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS KIP WELLS. I DO BELIEVE WE HAVE THAT RIGHT. I HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR SO ELOQUENTLY ANSWERED QUESTION OF "WHO THE f*** CARES?"!!!!

PERHAPS SOME OF US WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS KIP WELLS.  I DO BELIEVE WE HAVE THAT RIGHT.  I HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR SO ELOQUENTLY ANSWERED QUESTION OF "WHO THE f*** CARES?"!!!!

Then proceed. However, it seems to be meaningless to me as we will never know how good he would have been with us. Different system, Different pitching coach (Nardi), different stadium. To say he would be doing the same exact things with us and having the same exact success as he is having now is a pretty far reach. I highly doubt he could have ever reached that success here and I couldnt stand his whiny little voice after the horific games he would get done pitching.

Why dont we continue to speculate on the George Bell for Sammy Sosa trade while we are at it. I mean that is only about a decade old now.

This is Soxtalk, not ExSoxTalk.

To say he would be doing the same exact things with us and having the same exact success as he is having now is a pretty far reach.

I never said that at all. I said I knew he would be very good and that it was a major mistake to give up on him like the Sox did. If you don't like my opinion, fine. But I have the right to say it, thank you.

I'm getting mad with these useless NL vs AL debates.

Kip Wells was crap in the AL. Now he's a decent pitcher in the NL.

Why is that so?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that 7-9 hitters in the AL have an avg OPS of 200 F'g POINTS HIGHER IN THE AL!

That's right. Look it the F up! It's not just the pitcher in the lineup.

It's the tail end of the lineup. It's 3 much easier outs in the NL than the AL.

So stop F'g comparing NL performance to AL!

They are worlds apart.

No one here is comparing the NL to the AL. We are comparing Kip Wells the young pitcher the Sox gave up on versus the pitcher he has become and will continue to become. It has everything to do with a young pitcher maturing and NOTHING to do with AL vs. NL, thank you.

If I'm overstepping my bounds and into a place where I don't belong, then I do apologize, but man...............ease up you guys! Right now it's difficult enough having to hear and listen to all the harsh and ridiculing guff from Cub fans. The trashing is absolutely incredible (and it's only game #1).We sure don't need to do it with one another. We're bro's and sis's of Sox fans. If we don't agree on issues, so be it. But man, right now it's very difficult to start off with the same feeling that we did last year.

Chewing on each other doesn't help our situation, but rather brings our frustration and discouragement up another level. There......... I'm done!!!! You may fire your torpedoes at me at will. Ready..............Aim.......................

No torpedos necessary.......

I am just here to express an opinion on occasion and tend not to like being told that my opinion is not wanted. If someone doesn't agree with me, fine, let's debate it. But it irritated me for someone to jump into the conversation basically telling me to stop discussing it. I'm over it now, but that was my issue.

No one here is comparing the NL to the AL.  We are comparing Kip Wells the young pitcher the Sox gave up on versus the pitcher he has become and will continue to become.  It has everything to do with a young pitcher maturing and NOTHING to do with AL vs. NL, thank you.

In a way you are because the pitcher he was with us was a pitcher in the American League. The pitcher he has become and developed into has done so in the National League. There is no proof that he would have done so in the American League or developed into this pitcher with the White Sox. You may not intentionaly be doing so, but still are since that is the way his career has gone.

Ladies and Gentleman, you have just seen a masterful performance. Our man Rex so eloquently and smoothly deflected several verbal jousts and did so with dignity, style and grace.  Rex .... YOU DA MAN!!!!!!

:notworthy

Pucker up big boy. From YASNY's lips to Rex's Ass.

I never said that at all.  I said I knew he would be very good and that it was a major mistake to give up on him like the Sox did.  If you don't like my opinion, fine.  But I have the right to say it, thank you.

Sorry if you took all my comments intended for ONLY you. My comments are intended for everyone of our fellow Sox fans that continue to dwell on what we could still have or what we have given up. I can't stand it. They are no longer part of our team. Everyone should get over it and just move on. We have enough players on our current team that look like they could develop nicely and that we can cheer on rather than dwell on the players we have given up. I don't only disagree with your opinion on this situation but I am perplexed by the number of our fans that like to dwell on these situations. It makes no sense to me.