FlaSoxxJim, Aboz, ss2k4, Beatles fans, et al

cwsox

I was just thinking that for many songs and artists there is one way to interpret the song and have a hit. I think the Beatles could have recorded most of their song 10 different ways and had 10 hits. I've yet to here an alternate recording that I haven't enjoyed

I was just thinking that for many songs and artists there is one way to interpret the song and have a hit. I think the Beatles could have recorded most of their song 10 different ways and had 10 hits. I've yet to here an alternate recording that I haven't enjoyed

number 9, number 9, number 9 :puke

Do you have any of these on your computer?  I would kill to hear a few of these.  My wife and I's first dance was to "Here, There, and Everywhere", so that is the one I really would like to hear.  If it is possible for you to email me some of these files, let me know.  I will PM you my home addy.

I have nothing on my computer, but I could probably put together a custom disc. Are you mostly interested in 64-65 outtakes?

What about "Get Back (to where you once belonged)" when it was still that great anthem of tolerance and love, "NO PAKASTINIS"? I kid you not, that's where that one started out.

Cool.  I'll try to get it finished by tomorrow or Wednesday.  If anyone else wants one, PM me your address.

If you don't mind, a selection of ypur favorites would be great, and above and beyond the call og Beatle duty.

Have you heard John's "May Pang Tapes"? I have that one on vilyl - it's stuff from the Rock and Roll album days, when he and Yoko were on the outs. I like that stuff.

If you don't mind, a selection of ypur favorites would be great, and above and beyond the call og Beatle duty.

Have you heard John's "May Pang Tapes"?  I have that one on vilyl - it's stuff from the Rock and Roll album days, when he and Yoko were on the outs.  I like that stuff.

"May Pang Tapes" doesn't ring a bell. I have a number of Lennon bootlegs that I received in trades that I have yet to listen to, though.

"May Pang Tapes" doesn't ring a bell.  I have a number of Lennon bootlegs that I received in trades that I have yet to listen to, though.

'May Pang' is solid rehersal stuff from the 'Rock and Roll' Sessions - the '74 stuff after Phil Spector was done with the project. It's refreshing because I have come to really dislike the Phil Spector production on most of 'Rock and Roll' but I like the music and the spirit of that release.

Looking through my old bootleg vinyl there was some good stuff I had forgot about. One of the better ones is a double LP from New Zealand called "A Knight's Hard Day" and is (obviously) outakes from the studio work for Hard Day's Night. Tex was right - the Lads could have released any number of alternate takes of these tunes and they still would havee been hits.

I've been meaning to get all these old plastic waffles digitized, and having someone around with some more recent authority on the Beatle boot scene ( :notworthy by the way), this might just get me to get it done.

Are you Chicagoland-based? If so, I assume you are a Beatlefest veteran. It seems like I grew up at Mark and Carol's affairs, with "Aunt Terri" (Hemmert of long-standing WXRT fame) hosting, Billy Preston stealing event-goers cd's (inside story), and a couple days of great Beatle bartering every summer. It's been 15 years since I've been away from Chicago, and at least that long since I've been to a Beatlefest. I amassed a goood collection during that span, but I've let the digital world pass me by as far as alternate Beatle stuff.

"May Pang Tapes" doesn't ring a bell.  I have a number of Lennon bootlegs that I received in trades that I have yet to listen to, though.

shewas his girl friend the year and a half he was separated from Yoko - it was prety much over the top party time - why a lot of friends were relieved when he got with Yoko and restored some sanity to his life

Are you Chicagoland-based?  If so, I assume you are a Beatlefest veteran.  It seems like I grew up at Mark and Carol's affairs, with "Aunt Terri" (Hemmert of long-standing WXRT fame) hosting,  Billy Preston stealing event-goers cd's (inside story), and a couple days of great Beatle bartering every summer.  It's been 15 years since I've been away from Chicago, and at least that long since I've been to a Beatlefest.  I amassed a goood collection during that span, but I've let the digital world pass me by as far as alternate Beatle stuff.

I'm in Chicago, but I've never actually been to Beatlefest. My dad got me hooked on the Beatles & now I return the favor with bootlegs on Father's Day, his birthday, and Christmas. I'm only in my late twenties, but I'm about as compulsive as they come if we're talking about music. I have over 20 crates of records-mostly jazz and early instrumental reggae.

I could probably put a couple cds together of jazz and reggae covers of Beatles tracks. There's a Tubby Hayes cover of "Hey Jude" which is just flawless.

I'm in Chicago, but I've never actually been to Beatlefest.  My dad got me hooked on the Beatles & now I return the favor with bootlegs on Father's Day, his birthday, and Christmas.  I'm only in my late twenties, but I'm about as compulsive as they come if we're talking about music.  I have over 20 crates of records-mostly jazz and early instrumental reggae.

I could probably put a couple cds together of jazz and reggae covers of Beatles tracks.  There's a Tubby Hayes cover of "Hey Jude" which is just flawless.

I'm a big fan of vintage New Orleans style jazz myself (had to stop making the Preservation Hall pilgrimages after the kids came along :angry: ) and am also currently really digging some of the seminal bebop stuff I haven't listened to in a long while.

I've been hauling a maybe 400-LP subsample of my vinyl collection (another couple hundred still up with my folks) around for 20 years or so. I actually need to get a new turntable because my old reliable Technics finally crapped out on me. I suppose I should just go to the flea market for that dinosaur gear, huh?

• 3 weeks later...
Got some cds in the mail today from Hammerhead, all I've gotta say is... :notworthy  :notworthy  :notworthy

I got a special treat from Good Mr. Johnson as well and I second that :headbang :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Digging some 1968 deliciousness as I type. And I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with a way to return the favor – Beatle boots are out since Hammerhead puts my old vinyl collection to shame – but I think I have come up with something to put in the mail that will put a smile on his face.

In the meantime, Hammerhead Johnson.... YOU DA MAN! :snr

And I, as well, would like to give public props and gracious thanks to "The Hammer". It was truly amazing listening to this music and thinking about the historical aspects of what I was listening to. I still have the 68 and 69 CD's to listen to and am looking forward to them very much.

Once again, my most sincere thanks. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Sorry, I was too busy listening to post last night.

:snr  :cheers

What he said...

There is soooooo much good stuff on there. I think my favorite was one of the version of "I'm so Tired" where you could just feel the angst from John. The album version of that song was so cleaned up all you got was the tired feeling. In this particular version you feel tired, frustrated, exhausted, fed up, and just generally pissy.

But I love all of the CDs. Very incredible stuff. The evolution of the music is facinating.

I think further listening will mine more gold. I am trying to ID some of the voices. Like who was narrating Sgt. Peppers?

That one was taken from "Arrive Without Aging". Info:

4-track playback w/commentary by George Martin from "Making Of Sgt. Pepper" TV Special

I also took take 2 for "We Can Work It Out" from that comp.

The best source for information online is Bootleg Zone Go to the Beatles section on the left side, and then go to "All Files Alphabetically". Or, you could do a search on particular tracks, although they have a great many playlists without any definitive information. Like the gritty version of "I Want You..She's So Heavy"- I don't know where it came from. It must be Take 1. It dwarfs the album version as far as I'm concerned (always a skipper for me).

I think my favorite was one of the version of "I'm so Tired" where you could just feel the angst from John.  The album version of that song was so cleaned up all you got was the tired feeling.  In this particular version you feel tired, frustrated, exhausted, fed up, and just generally pissy.

But I love all of the CDs.  Very incredible stuff.  The evolution of the music is facinating.

I'll give you everything I got for a little piece of mind!

I like the early version and the Kinfauns version much more than the LP version.