What would have happened

Soxguy

Obviously we couldn't have everyone where they are right now if Bartolo was signed in the offseason. So just wondering what you all think our team would looked like had we signed him this offseason? And also, would you rather have the team like it is now or have had Bartolo resigned?

Just makes me wonder sometimes how something like that can change a whole team around.

With that said I'm quite happy with where we are right now but having Bartolo instead of Danny Wright would have been a bit of an improvement :D

We haven't resigned Maggs.  He is in the last year of a long term deal for $14 mil.

Very well.

But we probably wouldn't have the money to re-sign Lee or presumably go after big time talent at the ASB this year........Once he got his payola, Phatolo would be sleep-walking with us -- after the Detroit start last July he had a 4.40 ERA -- except this time Detoit is a much better hitting team, and I doubt he would have the incentive to bust his ass for a new contract like he did during a pretty good 2nd half in 2003.

He's gonna be a 4.00 ERA pitcher with Anaheim. He doesn't throw 100 anymore and his breaking pitch is very mediocre.

NCorg was right.

i'd kinda been thinking they'd've traded konerko for nothing and not picked up jose's option. i'm not sure whether i'd rather have those two with their numbers from last year or colon. but paulie should be better this year and i agree that colon's in or on the verge of decline, so :fyou colon.

We probably wouldn't have Konerko and would have taken on some of Koch's salary...

How do you figure?

Koch is untradeable and Konerko was too coming into this season. Why do you think the Sox payroll is at 65 Mill instead of 58? They couldn't cut dead weight, so they decided to hold on and hope a fast start would make them more appealing to other teams.

Colon's contract and attitude would have crippled this team just as Konerko's and Kock's is crippling it as we speak.

How do you figure?

Koch is untradeable and Konerko was too coming into this season.    Why do you think the Sox payroll is at 65 Mill instead of 58? They couldn't cut dead weight, so they decided to hold on and hope a fast start would make them more appealing to other teams.

Colon's contract and attitude would have crippled this team just as Konerko's and Kock's is crippling it as we speak.

Well, at least Konerko is helping his cause for staying with the team, or somewhat earning his contract (though good hitting first basemen are easy to come by.) Either way, I think we can agree Kenny overpaid on both of the contracts, but if Paully can hover around 300 for most of the year, I won't be too angry with him...

but if Paully can hover around 300 for most of the year, I won't be too angry with him

The point is. you could get similar production from Brad Fullmer or some other chap for 25% of what Kong is making in the next 2 years (17M) and invest the rest into starting pitching - 4 Mill buys you an Al Leiter at the deadline, etc.

Koch's 6.3 M, too prevented the Sox from getting an Urbina type.

When you have a limited budget, every grossely overpaid player "cripples" the team in the long run. That's not the players' fault -- it's Kenny's.

The point is. you could get similar production from Brad Fullmer or some other chap for 25% of what Kong is making in the next 2 years (17M) and invest the rest into starting pitching - 4 Mill buys you an Al Leiter at the deadline, etc.

Koch's 6.3 M, too prevented the Sox from getting an Urbina type.

When you have a limited budget, every grossely overpaid player "cripples" the team in the long run. That's not the players' fault -- it's Kenny's.

I agree completely. Look at what Boston got out of David Ortiz, perfect example.

He's gonna be a 4.00 ERA pitcher with Anaheim

Once he got his payola, Phatolo would be sleep-walking with us -- after the Detroit start last July he had a 4.40 ERA -- except this time Detoit is a much better hitting team

Man, did Detroit tattoo the donut-chaser today or what!! :headbang