Is Willie's job in jeopardy???

CSF

Harris' weak bat cause for concern

By Mike Spellman Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Monday, April 26, 2004

Lack of production at the top of the White Sox batting order - particularly from second baseman Willie Harris - tops the list of concerns of both general manager Kenny Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen.

Harris, who was named the starting second baseman and leadoff man late in spring training, saw his batting average plunge to .208 entering Sunday's game against Tampa Bay thanks to a 1-for-18 stretch.

He moved his average well north of the Mendoza line Sunday by going 3-for-4, including a double.

"It's not too early (to worry). Willie needs to pick it up," Williams said. "It's not a news flash. He knows it. He's been told that."

With a lineup that ranks second in the AL with 23 home runs, Guillen said it would be nice for the Sox to have a few runners on base before the big boys get to the plate.

"I'm not worried, I'm just concerned," Guillen said. "I want to have a better performance from the leadoff hitter because the guys we have behind him, they're going to do some damage. We've got 4 or 5 solo home runs. It would be nice to have a couple guys on base for those guys."

It certainly couldn't have been a boost for Harris to see Tampa leadoff man Carl Crawford tearing it up against the White Sox all weekend. The speedy Crawford tied a team record with 3 stolen bases in Saturday's game.

"This kid can be one of the best players in the American League pretty soon," Guillen said. "He reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr., but with more enthusiasm. He's going to be special."

No room in the pen: While absence may make the heart grow fonder, it doesn't necessarily guarantee anyone a roster spot.

Just ask Sox reliever Kelly Wuensch, who is currently rehabbing an inflamed teres minor muscle in Charlotte.

Kenny Williams indicated Sunday that when Wuensch is ready return in a few weeks, there may not be room for him in a Sox bullpen that ranks third in the AL with a 3.20 ERA.

"The bullpen is really shaping up to where we think it's going to be a plus on this club," Williams said. "If we can get Bill (Koch) back to being the old Billy or even close, we're going to be that much better.

"Neal Cotts has come in and done a heck of a job from the left side. He faces left-handers and right-handers and does each equally as well. Right now there isn't a spot for (Wuensch). That's the way it goes sometimes."

Rules of engagement: Ozzie Guillen understands the game of retaliation. That's why he wasn't too upset Saturday when Tampa Bay's Doug Waechter hit Frank Thomas an inning after Danny Wright had plunked Devil Rays leadoff man Carl Crawford.

"Lou (Piniella) did what he was supposed to do," Guillen said. "If that was the opposite, believe me, I would do it too. When my pitchers are involved, I make the call. That's why I went to the mound (after Crawford was hit). I asked Danny (if it was on purpose). He said, 'No, no.'

"We had meetings in spring training. I said if you want to hit somebody because they're kicking your butt, well, you're going to go out there and fight by yourself. I'm not going to have one of my players hurt because you got mad. If somebody does something disrespectful or unprofessional, drill the guy. But don't drill people just because you're mad. Get him out."

The only player I can see the sox hitting the siht out of in that D-Ray series is Robert "dirty player" Fick. I can't stand him.

you like Fick a lot more than I do!

I wonder how adding pressure to Willie by talking about him in the media by the GM will affect him -some people respond, some don't - it also puts the team on notice - and that is not always good - I'd rather work through solmething without it being talked up if it were me personally - but some folks respond to that.

I am thinking that our manager and our GM are talking a tad bit too much to the media.

I wonder how adding pressure to Willie by talking about him in the media by the GM will affect him -some people respond, some don't - it also puts the team on notice - and that is not always good - I'd rather work through solmething without it being talked up if it were me personally - but some folks respond to that.

I am thinking that our manager and our GM are talking a tad bit too much to the media.

Ah, you're just thinking too much. ;)

Seriously, I like the idea they've told Willie he needs to step it up. And I don't mind them relaying it to the media. That might be an intentional motivational ploy by KW.

Little known fact: Bobby Fick played an instrumental part in helping Cubs win NLDS in 2003.

In the first 3 games, before Cox finally wised up, RF:

Couldn't hit.

Couldn't hit in the clutch.

Couldn't field.

Considering how close the games were, had red-hot Julio Franco started from Game 1, Cubs would have been finished in 4 games and we would have been spared the whole 5-outs-away-from-apocalypse thing. Fick just killed every rally for his team and prolonged a rally for the Cubs.