Wright

BrandoFan

You know what would make me happy?

Danny Wright (he's 'Wrong' only as a starter :nono ) coming into the ball game against Carlos Beltran in the 8th and unleashing a 96mph four-seamer that tails just enough as to hit the outside corner for Strike 1. Then while the dumbfounded Beltran is looking to cover that location and velocity, Danny uncorks a tantalizing 91mph sinker inside and just low; Beltran is slow to adjust and so he barely tips it with his bat for a foul Strike 2.

Finally, after a waste pitch up in the zone that spins Beltran's eyes, Danny puts him out of his misery by dropped a knuckling hook for Strike 3.

Smirk. Resin bag swipe. Bring on Sweeney.

Next time Wright throws a 96 MPH fastball will be his first. I do not care what scouting reports say.

When he came up, scouting reports had him in the 95-98 zone as a AA starter.

With my own two eyes I saw him hit 96-97 (with tail) numerous times in 2001 in Seattle. That was back when Kip Wells was topping out at 93 on same gun, so if the gun is wrong, it would have to be wrong for everybody. Not possible.

As recently as September 2002, he was sitting comfortably in the 92-94 zone.

As a starter.

As starters, Gagne and Hawkins topped out at 93.

Why couldn't he throw 95-97 as a reliever if he indeed as healthy as Sox are claiming? :huh

You know what would make me happy?

Danny Wright (he's 'Wrong' only as a starter :nono ) coming into the ball game against Carlos Beltran in the 8th and unleashing a 96mph four-seamer that tails just enough as to hit the outside corner for Strike 1. Then while the dumbfounded Beltran is looking to cover that location and velocity, Danny uncorks a tantalizing 91mph sinker inside and just low;  Beltran is slow to adjust and so he barely tips it with his bat for a foul Strike 2.

Finally, after a waste pitch up in the zone that spins Beltran's eyes, Danny puts him out of his misery by dropped a knuckling hook for Strike 3.

Smirk.  Resin bag swipe. Bring on Sweeney.

Brando, if you're going to fantasize, think Anna Kournikova, not Danny Wright. :lol:

I also think Wright's only chance to stay in the big leagues is as a reliever, his 2002 2nd half magic is gone and last season was good in relief. I hope that if the sox do bring him back up, that they put him in the bullpen where he belongs.

I can't recall who pitched in NYY last year who didn't last too long and then Wright came in relief to settle the yanks down and get the win, but that's the Danny I would like to see.

his 2002 2nd half magic is gone

It wasn't "magic"

It's called a "96mph fastball" in 2001 and "94mph fastball" in 2002.

And it SHOULD be called "94-97mph fastball in 2004 as a reliever".

Back when he was in mid-high 90's, batters had to cheat and that exposed them to his solid change-up, to say nothing of that + curveball.

Now that he is 88-91, batters stay back longer so that curve is not quite as effective and that change-up gets smashed.

He also falls behind 2-0/3-0 mre often because hitters are less willing to swing at border-line pitches because they know they don't have to. Watch how Zambrano shut down potent Cardinal offense with nothing more than his moving 94-97mph fastball which they kept chasing out of the zone.

Guest JimH

It has everything to do with the command of his pitches, and very little to do with the velocity.

He doesn't throw a true curveball, it's a knuckle curve.

Until he learns to set up hitters with location, he's doomed to mediocrity. I wish he could've worked things out in his starts here, hopefully he can get it together in Charlotte.

I can't recall who pitched in NYY last year who didn't last too long and then Wright came in relief to settle the yanks down and get the win, but that's the Danny I would like to see.

It was Cotts.

Anyway you slice it, Wright will never be a control pitcher; his hand-eye coordination/motion precision is simply not top-notch. Him and Kock (and some 70% of all relievers) are in the same boat in that sense.

What he needs is 95+ mph tailer to strike some fear into the batters and to complement a low-90s sinker, a solid change and a tough curve.

And with the arm speed he is generating now, he ain't gonna throw 93-94, let alone 95-97.

Either he gets "healthy" in a hurry, or he's in trouble.