Mienkiewicz

CubKilla

DM was quoted before tonights Sox game something to this effect..... "The Sox have always had the better players. We just bring our game to another level and not try to do too much when playing these guys."

DM's right in one respect. The White Sox have the better players. The Twins, however, have (in '02 and '03) the better team.

All those players don't mean jack if all they're going to do is swing for the fences. Teams win baseball games. Not players.

DM was quoted before tonights Sox game something to this effect..... "The Sox have always had the better players. We just bring our game to another level and not try to do too much when playing these guys."

DM's right in one respect. The White Sox have the better players. The Twins, however, have (in '02 and '03) the better team.

All those players don't mean jack if all they're going to do is swing for the fences. Teams win baseball games. Not players.

Totally right.

Brains + Heart > raw talent alone.

Right now I would trade anybody on our team for Mienkiewicz straight up.

I wish we had 1 guy with his heart.

Seriously??

Hmm...I hate Mientkiewicz...I think he's a jerk...but that's my opinion and maybe he can play the game well, but I really don't think he has very much respect for people other than himself and his team.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'd give anyone for Mientkiewicz, but if Minny really wanted to, I would love a Lee or Konerko trade for Mientkiewicz straight up( :D ). Mientkiewicz is the same type of player Pierzynski is without being a complete and utter asshole at times(Mientkiewicz can be a dick, but it's all in fun...Pierzynski, from what I can tell, can just be an asshole, and it's not all in fun). I personally believe Mientkiewicz is one of the most underrated players in the game. He draws walks, he makes contact, he hits .300, and in the right situation, could probably hit 20 homers too(the ball he hit tonight could very well have been gone on a warmer night), and his defense is top 3 in the majors IMO(he, Olerud, and Snow are the top 3 in the majors). He is one of the reasons the Twins do in fact keep on winning.

We need a player like Dougie M. We may already have on in AAA, but regardless, we need one nonetheless.

Trade PK for pitching, then designate Gload as the full time first baseman and the next Doug Mientkiewicz.

i know gload has not had alot of at-bats this year but i just don't think he will be good at all as a full time player

i know gload has not had alot of at-bats this year but i just don't think he will be good at all as a full time player

I don't know about Gload either but we are now the only major league team to give him more than 31 AB in a season. He has never really been given the chance that he deserves based on his minor league numbers and he's got the left-handed thing going for him right now.

Here are his 2003 Charlotte numbers:

Year Team Lg. Age Org. Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP SH SF GDP SLG OBP OPS
2003 Charlotte

IL 27 Chw .315 133 508 72 160 40 6 18 70 6 3 29 60 1 5 6 12 .524 .349 873

Less power than Paulie, more like Mientkiewicz. Doesn't strike out too much but doesn't walk much either. I haven't seen them race each other but I'm willing to bet he's faster than Paulie too. I'm sorry but Paulie is a decent player but he also represents all that is wrong with our big, slow, righthanded lineup.

I don't know about Gload either but we are now the only major league team to give him more than 31 AB in a season.  He has never really been given the chance that he deserves based on his minor league numbers and he's got the left-handed thing going for him right now.

Here are his 2003 Charlotte numbers:

Year Team Lg. Age Org. Avg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO HBP SH SF GDP SLG OBP OPS
2003 Charlotte

IL 27 Chw .315 133 508 72 160 40 6 18 70 6 3 29 60 1 5 6 12 .524 .349 873

Less power than Paulie, more like Mientkiewicz.  Doesn't strike out too much but doesn't walk much either.  I haven't seen them race each other but I'm willing to bet he's faster than Paulie too.  I'm sorry but Paulie is a decent player but he also represents all that is wrong with our big, slow, righthanded lineup.

first they have to give him some oxtended play to really know how he is gonna produce

can uribe fill the 1b slot? i'm asking because i like dk's idea of pk for pitching and gload at 1b. but i also understand qwerty's worries (and have the same worries) about gload at 1b fulltime. maybe uribe is the missing piece to this puzzle. he can fill in for gload if he sucks. plus you solve the whole do we play willie, jose, or uribe argument... :ph34r:

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

and props to everyone who spelled his name correctly in the thread -

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

and props to everyone who spelled his name correctly in the thread -

Him and his fellow Twins have beaten our butts the past th ree seasons. They have earned my respect because they know how to win, the kind of respect where I go out and make sure I spell his name right.

Totally right. 

Brains + Heart > raw talent alone.

That only wokrs when the talent level of 'brains + heart' is at least in the ball park of talent alone. You could be the smartest player in the game, and have the biggest desre to win in the world, but if you suck, you suck. However for the Twins vs. the White Sox the last few years, that holds very true!