5/25 games

MnSoxFan

Hey Rex, since you are floating around, did you catch the question about Rauch's velocity being back to pre-surgery levels?

I hope I eat my words, and I was always a huge Rauch backer......but his velocity will never be to the 2000 levels (anywhere from 92 to 95), but what's worse his slider and curve have less bite and control.

He can't generate old arm speed and the range of motion isn't the same -- that's what you get after a complicated shoulder surgery. The only way for him to return to his pre-injury "stuff" would be to

1) Pitch through pain

2) Risk re-injuring himself.

He can still be a good pitcher, but he will never be what he was then. Not gonna happen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
I hope I eat my words, and I was always a huge Rauch backer......but his velocity will never be to the 2000 levels (anywhere from 92 to 95), but what's worse his slider and curve have less bite and control.

He can't generate old arm speed and the range of motion isn't the same -- that's what you get after a complicated shoulder surgery.    The only way for him to return to his pre-injury "stuff" would be to

1) Pitch through pain

2) Risk re-injuring himself.

He can still be a good pitcher, but he will never be what he was then. Not gonna happen.

Have you seen him pitch to state his curve and slider have less bite and control?

Not trying to start anything, just wondering how you're sure of that.

I'm almost positive Jon Rauch never touched 95 on any radar. His tops even when he was tearing it up before the injury at A was 93. I watched him ever since he started dominating for the Bees I believe it was. As big as he is, he never has been a power pitcher, just had superior control at that size.

To reiterate my point, Jon Rauch is a complete prick and I wouldn't care if his arm fell off and he never threw another pitch in his life. And no he has no obligation to be nice to fans, just as I have no obligation to say I hope he makes it on this board. It works both ways. And about Borchard, it is fine if you want to rip into me about my praise and like for him, but it is for the fact that he took time out of his schedule to do an interview for this very site and has on other occasion taken his time when he could have been doing other things to talk with me. That is something I can appreciate. If you'd have seen first hand the way Jon Rauch treats fans here in Kentucky (and he is from here; and no this is not just on one occasion) you will realize my reasons for not liking him. But since you are not in my shoes and do not know exactly what I am talking about, perhaps you don't understand. And that is fine, because I respect ya Cerbaho and your points are well-taken always in my book.

Hey Aboz...don't worry about it.  Everyone for whatever reason has a few players they just really don't like.  I'm not a big fan of Rauch, but I do hope for the Sox sake that he can figure things out and dominate.

I'm not worried about it, just tired of having to tell people why I am such a big Borchard fan.

I'm not worried about it, just tired of having to tell people why I am such a big Borchard fan.

I'm a big Borchard fan because he seems like a great guy, however I have my doubts on whether he will develop or not. Thats definately a reason to be a fan of a player. He also seems to play the game hard. I just hope he can put all his tools together and that he's got things figured out mentally and that he will also stay healthy.

Thats whats fun about being a fan. You can choose who to like, who to not like, for whatever reasons you like. I like aboz's reasons for liking, and not liking players personally. I usually get caught up in hating a player because he's not performing, but if I knew any personally it would give me a better view of liking someone or not.

To reiterate my point, Jon Rauch is a complete prick and I wouldn't care if his arm fell off and he never threw another pitch in his life.  And no he has no obligation to be nice to fans, just as I have no obligation to say I hope he makes it on this board.  It works both ways.  And about Borchard, it is fine if you want to rip into me about my praise and like for him, but it is for the fact that he took time out of his schedule to do an interview for this very site and has on other occasion taken his time when he could have been doing other things to talk with me.  That is something I can appreciate.  If you'd have seen first hand the way Jon Rauch treats fans here in Kentucky (and he is from here; and no this is not just on one occasion) you will realize my reasons for not liking him.  But since you are not in my shoes and do not know exactly what I am talking about, perhaps you don't understand.  And that is fine, because I respect ya Cerbaho and your points are well-taken always in my book.

So I guess we won't be getting a "Good Five Minutes with Jon Rauch"? :lol:

My opinion is this - if he can pitch well for us, I don't care how he acts.

Aboz, I have a question. J-Hood, a local radio personality (Don't know if you know him or not), has always said that Jon Garland rubs him the wrong way. Have you ever talked/spent time with Garland? Is he a good guy or what?

So I guess we won't be getting a "Good Five Minutes with Jon Rauch"?  :lol:

My opinion is this - if he can pitch well for us, I don't care how he acts. 

Aboz, I have a question.  J-Hood, a local radio personality (Don't know if you know him or not), has always said that Jon Garland rubs him the wrong way.  Have you ever talked/spent time with Garland?  Is he a good guy or what?

I know nothing about the person Jon Garland is, but the times I've met him briefly, twice at Soxfest this past year, he seemed to be a very nice guy...Didn't say much but he definitely didn't rub me the wrong way.

I'm almost positive Jon Rauch never touched 95 on any radar. His tops even when he was tearing it up before the injury at A was 93

Disagree.

Even as early as 2002, in his call-up, he was hitting 92-94 (93-96 on the "fast" Comiskullar gun). In that start in the s***holedome, he even registered a couple of K's on a 95mph heat - above the belt of course :lol:

And that was post-injury.

Plus I've seen him pitch in 2000, too - consistently 91-93, reaching mid-90s once in a while. Not a true power pitcher - but not a finesser either.

Incidentally, that's the velocity range most publications had him in 'round that time. Not that it matters much since those days are g-o-n-e.

To reiterate my point, Jon Rauch is a complete prick and I wouldn't care if his arm fell off and he never threw another pitch in his life

You can't do that. :nono

Ben Christensen was always a fair game, but Rauch? Never harmed anyone in his life as far as I know, few bruised egos not withstanding.

Let's save some of this vibe for the likes of Robert Fick, John Rocker and Sammy Sosa.