5/25 games

MnSoxFan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Borchard has played 40 games in the outfield, only 4 of which have been in center.  Reed has played 39 games in center, and 5 games in left field. The amazing thing about Borchard's recent hot streak is that he's doing it from both sides of the plate.  Borchard is now hitting .316-3-12 hitting right handed and .278-6-21 left handed.

In another note, Rauch looked excellent last night in his inning of work.  He was consistently hitting 92, and even hit 93 a couple times.  This compared to earlier in the month when he was hitting 87-88 with his fastball.

Thats very impressive on Borchard. He's always been a better hitter from the left side of the plate then the right side, almost to the point that you could of compared him to Jose Valentin (semi useless against left handed pitching). Its great to see that he seems to be getting everything figured out.

Also nice to see Rauch's velocity up. Hopefully he is 100% and when he gets called up (it at least appears he's going to be the one called up) he can make a permanent home in Chicago.

The question is whether his velocity was up because he was in the pen (usually a pitcher throws a bit harder out of the pen cause they are only used for a more limited basis) or if he's just getting healthy (definately a possibility).

Thanks for the info :)

I think Joe could be an average CF defensively. He doesn't have a whole bunch of range, but he has a nice arm and goes all out usually. Scouts always said he would be better off in RF.

Put me in the camp that does NOT want Borchard in CF. he will not be as good a CF as Rowand, he lacks quickness, his arm is average (maybe a tad above), he can run but takes a while to get going, so he looks good on a triple, but not so fast from get-go. He does not have as good of instincts as a Rowand.

So I would say our defense would get worse with him in CF. I would rather unload Lee and put Borchard in LF.

From what I've seen of Borchard in the few games he's played in the majors, I think he's capable of handling centerfield. He's a better defensive cf at this point then Everett was last season with the Sox, although that doesn't say much.

I think he'd be an average centerfielder, but still, he's a good fielder and will make some nice plays. Plus he's smart.

Put me in the camp that does NOT want Borchard in CF. he will not be as good a CF as Rowand, he lacks quickness, his arm is average (maybe a tad above), he can run but takes a while to get going, so he looks good on a triple, but not so fast from get-go. He does not have as good of instincts as a Rowand.

So I would say our defense would get worse with him in CF. I would rather unload Lee and put Borchard in LF.

Rowand sucks in centerfield...Quit being blind everyone, just because he gets terrible jumps on balls and then makes himself looking great by having to make a tough play because of his bad jump doesn't make him a good outfielder...

Borchard better arm than Rowand....check.

Borchard smarter than Rowand....check.

Borchard better bat than Rowand....check.

Borchard can hit from either side of the plate, Rowand cannot....check.

And the thought of Carlos Lee in CF really makes me want to cringe.

Rowand sucks in centerfield...Quit being blind everyone, just because he gets terrible jumps on balls and then makes himself looking great by having to make a tough play because of his bad jump doesn't make him a good outfielder...

Never said Rowand was a good CF, said he is better than Borchard would be. Guess we disagree.

Where did anyone suggest Lee in CF???

Borchard has played 40 games in the outfield, only 4 of which have been in center.  Reed has played 39 games in center, and 5 games in left field. The amazing thing about Borchard's recent hot streak is that he's doing it from both sides of the plate.  Borchard is now hitting .316-3-12 hitting right handed and .278-6-21 left handed.

In another note, Rauch looked excellent last night in his inning of work.  He was consistently hitting 92, and even hit 93 a couple times.  This compared to earlier in the month when he was hitting 87-88 with his fastball.

Isn't that pre-surgery velocity, or very close to it? Could Rauch finally be getting back to golden boy prospect stuff? Now that would be exciting.

Isn't that pre-surgery velocity, or very close to it?  Could Rauch finally be getting back to golden boy prospect stuff?  Now that would be exciting.

I hope not, he's a jackass and I hope he stays in the minors for the rest of his career. Sorry to be negative, but I will never cheer for Jon Rauch to be successful, he is far too full of him self and I cannot respect the way he has treated fans when I have seen him.

I hope not, he's a jackass and I hope he stays in the minors for the rest of his career.  Sorry to be negative, but I will never cheer for Jon Rauch to be successful, he is far too full of him self and I cannot respect the way he has treated fans when I have seen him.

Never met the guy, but I have heard that before. I hope he is successful more for our playoff run than anything. We HAVE to find a fifth starter if we are going to win the ALC. PERIOD. And if we can find that person without trading anybody, all the better.

Never met the guy, but I have heard that before.  I hope he is successful more for our playoff run than anything.  We HAVE to find a fifth starter if we are going to win the ALC.  PERIOD.  And if we can find that person without trading anybody, all the better.

I would have him be the last resort, that's how much I cannot stand him.

I would have him be the last resort, that's how much I cannot stand him.

I have heard he is an ass too, but cannot let that stand in the way of what is best for the team, he needs a shot as 5th starter, as someone said, better to have him make it than have to trade and give up lots of value for a 5th starter.

Borchard a better arm than Rowand? Rowand has a good arm in CF, and Borchard's arm is hugely, hugely overrated because he was a quarterback at Stanford. I'd take Rowand's arm, and Rowand defensively in center over Borchard, who is built for the corners.

Borchard smarter than Rowand? Do you have the Caliper profiles to back this up, or are you just comparing Stanford to Cal State Fulerton? Just dumb.

Borchard a better bat than Rowand? Of course. I'd take just about anyone in center over Rowand, bat or no bat.

Borchard is a better left handed hitter, and he has admitted this himself. He looks mechanical from both sides of the plate, but worse off from the right side.

--

Ok, what the f*** is up wth you and Jon Rauch? You basically slobber all over Joe Borchard, who has been an enormous disappointment in his career up this point, and hate against a guy who was awarded a player of the year award by Baseball America, went through arm surgery which has dropped several MPH off of all of his pitches (including limiting the bite on his offspeed pitches), and was grossly misued by KW and Jerry Manuel.

Christ, now you're hoping pitchers are forever banished to the minors because they "aren't nice to you"? Baseball players can be absolute s***heads if they want if they have the talent. Did you think that maybe he's just sick and tired of being dogged? He could have been having a bad day? Come on. Ozzie basically yelled at me during Spring Training, but I still wish him the utmost success. I don't hate Ozzie and love Kris Honel, who was very nice to me, just because of the way they acted towards me. Last time I checked, there were no words in professional contracts that said you have to be a ray of sunshine to fans.

Cerb, Rauch has always had a certain prickness about him. I don't think he has ever been very popular with his teammates and his "makeup" has always been questioned inside the Sox organization from what I am told. This is perhaps why he has gotten passed by for some chances others think he should have had.

I really think Rauch read too many headlines during his POY season, and unfortunately believed them all.

Cerb, Rauch has always had a certain prickness about him.  I don't think he has ever been very popular with his teammates and his "makeup" has always been questioned inside the Sox organization from what I am told.  This is perhaps why he has gotten passed by for some chances others think he should have had.

I really think Rauch read too many headlines during his POY season, and unfortunately believed them all.

Hey Rex, since you are floating around, did you catch the question about Rauch's velocity being back to pre-surgery levels?

No idea..... haven't really talked to anyone in Charlotte lately... sorry

Knights11 is from Charlotte :)

Also in regards to Stanford and Fullerton....aren't we all forgetting that the smartest person in the world goes to Fullerton :D :headbang

Knights11 is from Charlotte :)

Also in regards to Stanford and Fullerton....aren't we all forgetting that the smartest person in the world goes to Fullerton  :D  :headbang

Hey Jason, be careful not to strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back so hard. :lol:

Ok, what the f*** is up wth you and Jon Rauch? You basically slobber all over Joe Borchard, who has been an enormous disappointment in his career up this point, and hate against a guy who was awarded a player of the year award by Baseball America, went through arm surgery which has dropped several MPH off of all of his pitches (including limiting the bite on his offspeed pitches), and was grossly misued by KW and Jerry Manuel.

Christ, now you're hoping pitchers are forever banished to the minors because they "aren't nice to you"? Baseball players can be absolute s***heads if they want if they have the talent. Did you think that maybe he's just sick and tired of being dogged? He could have been having a bad day? Come on. Ozzie basically yelled at me during Spring Training, but I still wish him the utmost success. I don't hate Ozzie and love Kris Honel, who was very nice to me, just because of the way they acted towards me. Last time I checked, there were no words in professional contracts that said you have to be a ray of sunshine to fans.

:usa I was thinking the same thing. Even though no one likes an asshole I think that Rauch is probably sick of getting interviewed. Borchard is a saint to put up with the s*** he puts up with. I still don't think Borchard will do it. This is his 3rd year in AAA. He is going to be another Lee, Konerko, Jose, Crede in the respect that they hit HRs but have awful batting averages. Granted Lee is not that bad, he's just stupid and I think Crede will turn it on.