Record Company Sues Single Mom for

Texsox

Single mom overwhelmed by recording industry suit

Tammy Lafky has a computer at home but said she doesn't use it. "I don't know how," the 41-year-old woman said, somewhat sheepishly.

But her 15-year-old daughter, Cassandra, does. And what Cassandra may have done, like millions of other teenagers and adults around the world, landed Lafky in legal hot water this week that could cost her thousands of dollars.

A record company attorney from Los Angeles contacted Lafky about a week ago, telling Lafky she could owe up to $540,000, but the companies would settle for $4,000.

"I told her I don't have the money," Lafky said. "She told me to go talk to a lawyer and I told her I don't have no money to talk to a lawyer."

Lafky said she clears $21,000 a year from her job and gets no child support.

The record company is going to lose support when they strong arm a single mom because her 14 year old was downloading music.

Nothing like being able to blame the greedy faceless corporation....

Personally I don't believe in people being able to download the songs for free because the artist who creates them can't do it if no one wants to put up the money to support them.

The record companies have to have some way to recoup their money. However sueing a bunch of 14 year olds isn't going to stop anything as just as fast as they can sue them their are more 14 year olds to take their place.

It's really a lose lose situation if you think about it :headshake

Nothing like being able to blame the greedy faceless corporation....

Personally I don't believe in people being able to download the songs for free because the artist who creates them can't do it if no one wants to put up the money to support them.

Aw, c'mon. I thought it was all about the music! And the sex and drugs! While I don't believe in illegal downloading, the music industry's claims of losses are vastly overstated. While some people who download songs turnaround and buy the actual albums, most people who download songs would never have purchased them. So claims of losses are a bit skewed, since the supposed 'sale' would never have happened. Back in the early days of computers (Commodore 64 anyone?) I had tons of games that were not quite legal. The only one I really liked, I went and purchased. The rest, I would never have played them if I had to pay for them.