Steve Finley

whitesox61382

I think Anderson is the "safest" prospect.  By "safest" I mean he's the one I'd put money on to contribute for a long time at the ML level.

Reed is a "grinder".  Nothing flashy, just a good baseball player.  He get the job done.

Sweeney has a ridiculously high ceiling, but will he reach it?

Anderson, by all accounts is just a solid player.  He may not reach super stardom, but there's little doubt that he'll contribute on the Major League level for quite sometime.

Gotta like what the Sox did in last year's draft. Took a safe pick with their first rounder, and then took a gamble with their second rounder. Well done. :headbang

Sweeney has a ridiculously high ceiling, but will he reach it?

People with a "ridiculously high" ceiling do not bat .240 with no power in A-ball.

He's only 19? So were Pujols and Cabrera.

Let's not nominate Sweeney the next Mantle just yet. Especially given that they're now talking about his "future" at 1B.......Hello, you have to put up Jim Thome/Pujols numbers to be a "great" 1B.

People with a "ridiculously high" ceiling do not bat .240 with no power in A-ball.

He's only 19? So were Pujols and Cabrera.

Let's not nominate Sweeney the next Mantle just yet. Especially given that they're now talking about his "future" at 1B.......Hello, you have to put up Jim Thome/Pujols numbers to be a "great" 1B.

Or a .275 BA, with 12 extra base hits, 5 SB, solid D, and decent plate disipline for one of the youngest players in high A ball. Not to mention the fact that he hit .367 this ST and opened the eyes of scouts around the league. We shouldn't overrate him and save him a spot in he HOF just yet, but he has shown a ton of potential, at a very young age, at a realatively high level(for his age). Lets also not forget that Puljos and Cabrera are freaks of nature, and certainly not the norm. Who knows, maybe in 2 years Sweeney will be making his mark in the majors(although there is no reason to rush him).

Or a .275 BA, with 12 extra base hits, 5 SB, solid D, and decent plate disipline for one of the youngest players in high A ball. Not to mention the fact that he hit .367 this ST and opened the eyes of scouts around the league. We shouldn't overrate him and save him a spot in he HOF just yet, but he has shown a ton of potential, at a very young age, at a realatively high level(for his age). Lets also not forget that Puljos and Cabrera are freaks of nature, and certainly not the norm. Who knows, maybe in 2 years Sweeney will be making his mark in the majors(although there is no reason to rush him).

:headbang :headbang :headbang

An Arizona newspaper reported that the Phillies were looking for a centerfielder. The report suggested Diamondbacks veteran Steve Finley could be in the Phillies' sights. "There's no credence to that rumor," Amaro said. "We're always assessing our team and looking to improve, but Marlon Byrd is our centerfielder."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8851973.htm

I wanted Finley since at least the Cubs-Ari series in Ari, but Sox have to be careful not to overpay for this guy.

Remember, 40yo bodies tend to break/tire a LOT sooner, so I hope Sox don't think Finley is gonna put the team on his back and carry them in the playoffs and be as fresh as he is now in August-September.

Borchard should NOT be part of the deal is what I am saying. Find another Rupe and another Francisco and toss them Arizona's way along with Pacheco and have them pick up half his salary.

Guest JimH

Prospects who are likely to get moved in a deal such as this, IMO:

Bajenaru, Rauch, Diaz, Majewski, Josh Fields, Ulacia, Pedro Lopez, Sean Tracey,

Brice, Deinenger, guys like that.

Meaning, decent prospects but not the crown jewels, especially if it's a rent-a-player guy.

It's also possible the price for some of these guys might actually go down (in terms of prospects given up) because teams like Arizona, Seattle won't have the money leverage to get good prospects. Meaning, I'll pick up Finley's salary in it's entirety, IF you give me a better prospect. As time goes on, more of the guy's salary is already paid ... so it's possible the price isn't as steep as we might fear.