Cubs starting pitching

67% of normal save chances for a closer would not only equal out to a blown save per month. It would be way more than that. He is a Cub and a former Twin, so I could really care less.

You're right in one thing. 67% for a closer is s***ty.

Too bad LaTroy hasn't been closing all year, huh?

He has two blown saves and we are into the 3rd month of the season. Therefore, he had 2 blown saves in the first two months of the year. By that math, it is roughly 6 blown saves, or one per month.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking he may have been dealt, but I couldn't remember and I haven't seen his name much. He did solid last year. My bad. ;)

People make worse mistakes all the time.

Hell, I thought Ugie Urbina signed with Cleveland earlier this year. :D

Blown saves for setup guys don't mean s***.

Both were while setting up? I think not. One was coming in in the 9th to close it out. It was the 2nd game of a double header when against Pitt. The one where Borowski blew the first game and threw way to many pitches to pitch in the 2nd game. Hawkins blew that game. He did not come in as a set up guy, he came in as the closer. The other one he blew I don't remember. Any more words of wisdom?

You're right in one thing.  67% for a closer is s***ty.

Too bad LaTroy hasn't been closing all year, huh? 

He has two blown saves and we are into the 3rd month of the season.  Therefore, he had 2 blown saves in the first two months of the year.  By that math, it is roughly 6 blown saves, or one per month.

2 blown saves out of 6 chances. I don't care how you want to rationalize it to make him look better. In save situations he is only 4 out of 6. That is not good.

2 blown saves out of 6 chances. I don't care how you want to rationalize it to make him look better. In save situations he is only 4 out of 6. That is not good.

You don't have to be in a save situation to blow a save.

If you give up the tying or go ahead run(s) in the 7th or 8th(as well as the 9th), you blow a save. However, if you do not close out the game, you are not credited with a save, you are credited with a hold.

Hawkins is not 4 of 6 in save opportunities. I don't know what he is exactly, but I'm sure atleast one of those blown "saves" came in the 8th inning.

Last year, Sox got LUCKY they avoided losing the 1st two at the Cell (Cubs had bases loaded a lot and hung frozen ropes at people a lot, esp in the Danny Wright start), whereas they won the 3rd game fair and square.    Sox were NOT better than the Cubs in 2003 head-to-head despite lucking out with a 4-2 record.     Cubs had a better team than the Sox did and played in a tougher division.   Whether you and other biased Sox fans accept this that I couldn't care less.

Furthermore, Sox didn't face Prior ONCE and only had Wood once (got beat handily).   Zambrano beat us.   Sox did beat Clement, but he was going through his "fall behind, hang a slider" phase - the Clement Sox will face later this month will have an unhittable slider and will not begin to unravel until late July at the earliest.    Finally, Sox beat that loser who pitches for Colorado now.     By the time Sox face the Cubs, there won't be Mitre or Rusch to knock around.  Prior-Zambrano-Wood-Clement-Maddux, the best rotation in the game.

Sox pitching "as good" as Cubs pitching?  Is this a joke?   Stop lying to yourself, you'll feel better.   Our #1 Buerhle would be a #4 on the Cubs - at best.

Sosa will be back with a bang (probably back on the juice cycle, too).   Derek Lee will be riding his typical summer groove.   Alou and Ramirez are always MONEY.   Todd Walker should be out of his slump and Barret is having everybit as good a season as Olivo.  Whatever they get out of bum Patterson and bench extraordinaire Hollansworth would be a bonus.    To say that they couldn't handle Sox pitching is crazy.    Rotations that have Garland as #3 and Shoenweiss as #4 ordinarily don't dominate ANYBODY.

1-5 is what Sox are looking at realistically.   I am not wrong a lot (Willie Harris notwithstanding), but if I am wrong here and Sox end up taking 5 out of 6 or double-sweeping.....well, that suits me just fine.  :cheers  :fthecubs

BLAH BLAH f***IN BLAH. Last time I checked the Sox were 3rd in the AMERICAN league in era while playing half their gms in a HITTERS park. The Cubs are currently 4th in the national league in era while playing half their gms at pitcher friendly Wrigley field. Maybe we don't have the big names like Wood and Prior. But our staff has been every bit as good as theirs this season. On top of that we don't even have a 5th starter. As far as what we did against the Cubs last year? We WON the season series. I don't give a s*** how we won. We won. And as far as not facing Prior last year. Oh f***in well. That ain't our fault. We did beat Prior once in 2002. And we also destroyed Wood TWICE in 2002. So we have no problems against this so called great pitching staff of the Cubs. And as far as the Cubs playing in a tougher division? They won the division with 87 wins. How tough could it have been? Buerhle as their 4th starter at best? Please. I'd say atleast 3 with a good shot at being number 2. Put Buerhle in "pitcher friendly" Wrigley in the National League where he would face the pitcher his numbers would no doubt be better.

BLAH BLAH f***IN BLAH.  Last time I checked the Sox were 3rd in the AMERICAN league in era while playing half their gms in a HITTERS park.  The Cubs are currently 4th in the national league in era while playing half their gms at pitcher friendly Wrigley field

Team ERA includes the bullpen.

Aside from Hawkins and maybe Remlinger and Farnsworth, the Cubs bullpen has been s***ty. Ours, aside from Koch, Politte, and a few Jon Adkins, Mike Jackson, and Neal Cotts outings, has been good.

Team ERA includes the bullpen.

Aside from Hawkins and maybe Remlinger and Farnsworth, the Cubs bullpen has been s***ty.  Ours, aside from Koch, Politte, and a few Jon Adkins, Mike Jackson, and Neal Cotts outings, has been good.

And what was your point? You just pointed out that both teams have multiple guys in the pen doing s***ty.

Even if that's true.  Our pitching overall has been every bit as good if not better than their's..And our 5th starters have been horrible.

It's been every bit AS good STAT wise, but talent wise and results wise, the Cubs is better then ours.

They haven't been playing up to par, and they've had injuries take out their 1-2 punch(Prior for April and May, Wood for probably June, and maybe a little of July), while our rotation has been 100% all year long(our 1-4 that is).

It's been every bit AS good STAT wise, but talent wise and results wise, the Cubs is better then ours.

They haven't been playing up to par, and they've had injuries take out their 1-2 punch(Prior for April and May, Wood for probably June, and maybe a little of July), while our rotation has been 100% all year long(our 1-4 that is).

I'm not saying talent wise were as good. I'm saying as of June 10th, 2004 ours has been just as good if not better. That could change. But as of right now that's my opinion. And results? We're tied for 1st while they're in 5th 2 or 3 gms up on the Pirates.

Both were while setting up? I think not. One was coming in in the 9th to close it out. It was the 2nd game of a double header when against Pitt. The one where Borowski blew the first game and threw way to many pitches to pitch in the 2nd game. Hawkins blew that game. He did not come in as a set up guy, he came in as the closer. The other one he blew I don't remember. Any more words of wisdom?

Give your head a shake champ. Did I mention Latroy Hawkins in the one sentence I posted? No. Do Blown saves for setup guy really say much? No. Nice try thanks.