Profits or World Series?

Texsox

Which is more important to Sox Fans?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to Sox Fans?

• World Series Win
    • Play-off Spot
    • Owner's Bottom Line

I am not going in circles

I do not care about how much the shareholder earn. They can sell the f***ing team today and make hundreds of millions on their investment. And you care if they make a couple million more each year?

You can hug their bottom line, I want a World Series. I don't believe they cannot afford Colon, Maggs, or any of these guys.

I'd say the only team owner that doesn't care about money and is all about winning championships is the Spankees' Stienbrenner. It must be nice to have all that cash lying around to buy your way into the playoffs every year.

One thing they cant buy though is heart and that's why the Spanks almost always lose in the big dance.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The White Sox are not your classic big market team because the Cubs exist in this city.  I don't know how often this has to be mentioned, but it's a HUGE reason our payroll sits at 60 mil or whatever and we don't/can't shell out 15 for Maggs for X seasons.

We all want to win, but it's not our money we are shelling out to pay players. It's not our bottom line. There are things in life we cannot control.

To say we don't care about the bottom line is all nice and dandy, but if the Sox go way in the hole, it could mean bad bad things for this organization. So in an odd way, we do care about the bottom line.

The Sox didn't spend when they drew 2+ million people!!!

I am sorry for venting. It is the realization that I will never see the Sox win a WS in my lifetime. They will continue to try and catch lightning in a bottle. And cry like second class citizens. They will never overtake the Cubs. Do you think the Cubs will lose Sosa to FA?

Y'all believe the shareholders hook line and sinker as far as payroll. It is fact their investment is worth hundreds of millions morre, yet fans want them to make even more. They will argue and defend the ownership's right to make even more money. I guess the joy is knowing the franchise is making money. Enjoy.

I am sorry for venting. It is the realization that I will never see the Sox win a WS in my lifetime. They will  continue to try and catch lightning in a bottle. And cry like second class citizens. They will never overtake the Cubs. Do you think the Cubs will lose Sosa to FA?

Y'all believe the shareholders hook line and sinker as far as payroll. It is fact their investment is worth hundreds of millions morre, yet fans want them to make even more. They will argue and defend the ownership's right to make even more money. I guess the joy is knowing the franchise is making money. Enjoy.

Round and round in circles we go!

How about giving the Sox some f***ing credit for not signing his ass?

I forgot how effective Wright, Rauch, Diaz and Cotts have been. Again trading wins for $$$$. Yeah!! Enjoy the 5th starter dance. You f***ing deserve it. Sho should be our 5th starter.

I am sorry for venting. It is the realization that I will never see the Sox win a WS in my lifetime. They will  continue to try and catch lightning in a bottle. And cry like second class citizens. They will never overtake the Cubs. Do you think the Cubs will lose Sosa to FA?

It doesn't matter if the Flubbs lose Sosa to FA. Flubbs "fans" would be so drunk they wouldn't even notice he was gone till the all-star break.

It doesn't matter if the Flubbs lose Sosa to FA.  Flubbs "fans" would be so drunk they wouldn't even notice he was gone till the all-star break.

The Flub fans won't know and Sox fans will cheer the guy leaving so we have more money to spend next year. :headshake

I forgot how effective Wright, Rauch, Diaz and Cotts have been. Again trading wins for $$$$. Yeah!! Enjoy the 5th starter dance. You f***ing deserve it. Sho should be our 5th starter.

ok - so Colon would be what, our number two, number three, or our number one?

With a 6.00 ERA?

And a 1.57 WHIP?

Making 12.5 Million a year?

But it's all good?

Because the Sox are dishing out money freely?

Hell, let's give Billy Koch some more money too. I mean, he tries hard, so lets pay him. Here you go Billy, ten million next year buddy!

Ross Gload has been a great bat off of the bench! Ross - here you go, you ten million for you too!

Sarcasm off.

I'd rather have me as a 5th starter than Colon for all that money.

ok - so Colon would be what, our number two, number three, or our number one?

With a 6.00 ERA?

And a 1.57 WHIP?

Making 12.5 Million a year?

But it's all good?

Because the Sox are dishing out money freely?

Hell, let's give Billy Koch some more money too.  I mean, he tries hard, so lets pay him.  Here you go Billy, ten million next year buddy!

Ross Gload has been a great bat off of the bench!  Ross - here you go, you ten million for you too!

Sarcasm off.

We did not have a crystal ball when we decided not to sign him. We did not have a salary issue for this year or the next 3 years. The only issue was 1 more year. Who knows how he would be pitching for the Sox. He pitched great the second half, kept us in the first when Mark was :puke . But JR cried poor, and we accepted it. Now we have a giant hole that was never filled.

You can accept that hole and think saving the money was good. You can believe taht with a investment that is now worth hundreds of millions more, they cannot pay to keep a proven super star (Maggs)

You continue to accept whatever ownership shovels to you and defend their wallets to the end. Watch them develop players for other teams. Watch the season end in September year after year. Then when you near your final days, bask in the glory that when they sell the team and realize their profits, perhaps they will share the profits with you.

We did not have a crystal ball when we decided not to sign him. We did not have a salary issue for this year or the next 3 years. The only issue was 1 more year. Who knows how he would be pitching for the Sox. He pitched great the second half, kept us in the first when Mark was  :puke . But JR cried poor, and we accepted it. Now we have a giant hole that was never filled.

You can accept that hole and think saving the money was good. You can believe taht with a investment that is now worth hundreds of millions more, they cannot pay to keep a proven super star (Maggs)

You continue to accept whatever ownership shovels to you and defend their wallets to the end. Watch them develop players for other teams. Watch the season end in September year after year. Then when you near your final days, bask in the glory that when they sell the team and realize their profits, perhaps they will share the profits with you.

ok - again you're not understanding.

Ill take it nice and slow.

He - is - making - 12.5 - million - this - year - for - four - years - and - he - has - a - 6.00 - E - R - A - .

Using your logic - I never, never, never want to see you make any post bashing Billy Koch. I mean, how did Kenny Williams know what he was getting?

Maybe the Sox saw a fat guy who put up 'not ace-like' numbers for us, yet was asking for 'ace-like' money, plus an extra fourth year, which many teams, not just the Sox, don't give.

Yet it was stupid for the Sox not resign, just because they didn't know that he would be putting up a 6.00 ERA? What kind of sense does that make?

And you still haven't answered the question on how the Oakland Athletics are competitive each year, but you know, answering that might just destroy any logic you had, so I guess I can see why you don't want to answer it...

Anyone have a picture of a circle?

And you still haven't answered the question on how the Oakland Athletics are competitive each year, but you know, answering that might just destroy any logic you had, so I guess I can see why you don't want to answer it...

aren't they successful with an $85 million budget?

I am sorry for venting. It is the realization that I will never see the Sox win a WS in my lifetime.

Sox make it to ALCS this year and win the WS in 2005. What the f*** are you talking about you will never see a world series? You're only 40yo. Can't you settle for ALCS and wait a year for the Series?

They will never overtake the Cubs.

They don't DESERVE to overtake the Cubs. Wrigley is busting at the seams on Tuesday afternoons in a season where Cubs are below-.500. Their tickets are more expensive and their fans also consume a hellalot more. Their fans have EARNED a 100 Mill payroll. Most Sox fans haven't.

He - is - making - 12.5 - million - this - year - for - four - years - and - he - has - a - 6.00 - E - R - A - .

He wouldnt be putting up the same numbers if he was with us, they have played different teams than us and he might be more relaxed with ozzie as the manager, im not sure how socia manages but id be willing to bet he would do better with us than he is for the angels,

but....we'll never know

Let me compile my thoughts here:

No doubt, I love what Maggs has done for us, and I like the kind of player he is. And of course I want ownership to spend money - to say otherwise and I would just be kidding myself.

But, I have to face certain facts. Such as:

a.)Our payroll is still pretty high, but it isn't going to be Cub/Red Sox/Yankee high. I'm hoping a playoff appearance (more than just an appearance, I hope) will put the payroll up to 70 million or so. In the past, increased attendances have equalled increased payroll.

b.)Unless you're the Yankees, handing out big contracts hamper even teams like the Red Sox. It's been proven time and time again. The Rangers gave Park and A-Rod big contracts, that got them no where. The Mariners lost Griffey, Big Unit, and A-Rod, and yet were still competitive. Even Boston wanted to rid itself of Manny's contract by putting him on waivers this offseason, and the reason the Nomar/Maggs/A-Rod deal didn't go down is because of Manny's contract...

c.)Garret Anderson got 4/48$. That is exactly the type of player I think Maggs is. Twelve million a year. The Sox (supposedly) offered fourteen or fifteen million a year, higher than what Vlad makes, and he declines. At some point it's not about ownership not wanting to win, but a player just not wanting to be here...

Considering the outfield is the Sox strength in the minors, overpaying for Maggs isn't a good thing. All it would do is take us down.

Big payroll doesn't always equal winning. Look at the Mets.

Man, i bet this guy would love to have his question answered...

hawk would tell you its because of the big three, and then he would throw in a "let's see how many games billy beane wins when they don't have three stud pitchers".

of course beane drafted those pitchers...

hawk might then say something about "don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it", he would then convince you why joe crede is a future 8 time all star.

i really do love hawk though.