David Wells' Hangover

LowerCaseRepublican

Was it Doc Ellis who threw a no hitter (or maybe even a perfect game, II have to look this up) when he was higher than a kite and scared the s*** out of the catcher and the batters for 9 innings?

I wonder if they were sober if they could have done it - something about not knowing what you are doing takes the pressure off - but I don't think anyone can make a career this way!

Was it Doc Ellis who threw a no hitter (or maybe even a perfect game, II have to look this up) when he was higher than a kite and scared the s*** out of the catcher and the batters for 9 innings?

I wonder if they were sober if they could have done it - something about not knowing what you are doing takes the pressure off - but I don't think anyone can make a career this way!

ive heard the dock ellis strory before...ohh ..look at all the pretty colors!!!...lol

Alot of the greats were probably s***-faced or hungover a majority of their playing time while putting up HoF numbers..... Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle are two names that come to my mind. Imagine what they could have done stone cold sober! Or, on the other hand, maybe it was the booze that made the HoF numbers possible! :lol:

Alot of the greats were probably s***-faced or hungover a majority of their playing time while putting up HoF numbers..... Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle are two names that come to my mind. Imagine what they could have done stone cold sober! Or, on the other hand, maybe it was the booze that made the HoF numbers possible!  :lol:

Booze and/or drugs have ruined some pretty good ballplayers, too. Doc Gooden, Steve Howe, Darryl Strawberry, Lamar Hoyt... to name a few.

Alot of the greats were probably s***-faced or hungover a majority of their playing time while putting up HoF numbers..... Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle are two names that come to my mind. Imagine what they could have done stone cold sober! Or, on the other hand, maybe it was the booze that made the HoF numbers possible!  :lol:

I heard a story once on Mickey Mantle.....Mantle was drunk as hell one day at the park. The manager talked to him and said "You better as hell go up there and hit a home run." So Mantle walks up to the plate, drunk as hell, sees a pitch, connects, hits it out, runs around the bases and gets back to the dugout(like any guy would for any ordinary homer). He went over to the manager and puked his guts out on the managers lap! :D

Booze and/or drugs have ruined some pretty good ballplayers, too.  Doc Gooden, Steve Howe, Darryl Strawberry, Lamar Hoyt... to name a few.

and I have heard rumors that it was what did in the 1984 Sox.

Can you elaborate on that? Hoyt pitch game 1 of that ALCS and beat the O's if I remember correctly and was scheduled to pitch game 5 if the Sox would have given some support to Britt Burns in game 4. Damn, he pitched a helluva game.

not 83 Sox but the 84 Sox - which was a wasted season beginning to end  which never fulfilled its potential because of the coke machine in the club house - oh, it's wasn't that coke and it wasn't a machine...

Oops... my bad. Yep, that team was a major disappointment.