How Bout Ray Ray

Chisoxfn

Here's a question, what if we bring Ray Ray back. I've heard him talk and he says he still loves playing in Chicago and would really like coming back and playing for the Sox and is definately open to the idea.

The question is if is willing to come back at around Manos's price and we can find a taker for Manos why not make the move putting Jimenez at short. To me it would be a great move, just one the Sox wouldn't make.

I'm with you on that. My big reason for this is that Manos isn't as good as Ray Ray and Jimenez is better at short. This would give us a much more lethal infield that is easily just as good defensively. Plus I don't think Harris is an everyday player, but he could prove me wrong.

I do think Harris is a great guy to have and could turn into a Tony Womack type guy thats scrappy, fast, and can play many positions. Keep him here next year with him playing second, and center and if needed left.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I'm with you on that.  My big reason for this is that Manos isn't as good as Ray Ray and Jimenez is better at short.  This would give us a much more lethal infield that is easily just as good defensively.  Plus I don't think Harris is an everyday player, but he could prove me wrong.

I do think Harris is a great guy to have and could turn into a Tony Womack type guy thats scrappy, fast, and can play many positions.  Keep him here next year with him playing second, and center and if needed left.

it would've been nice if he could've hit major league pit.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I'm not saying he won't.  With that kind of speed all you have to do is learn how to bunt and hit the ball on the ground and you'll hit .280 with ease.

don't get me wrong on the way i wrote my post. i wanted him to succeed. i like what he brings to the table. but damn, if he could hit, he would have been sp.

I like the idea, Jason! His aggressiveness on the basepaths were missed in the last third of the season. I too don't think that Harris is an everyday player just yet. Wait a couple years and then he can be an everyday player.

What I think we should do is sign Sugar Ray to a two-year contract, and then use Harris as a back-up on the bench. This would mean that we'd have to get rid of someone who's already on the bench, and I think that would have to be either Liefer (trade him for some minor league talent) or Graffy.

I do like how Ray was loved by the fans.

I must be one of the only ones that didn't give a flying fig when Ray was dealt to the A's. If he wasn't swinging for the fences in every at-bat, he was displaying shoddy range..... albeit better range than K-layton (funny no one picked up and "upper echelon SS" for the playoff run). For all the time Ray spent in a Sox uni, he wasn't what anyone would call a team leader. Say what you will, but I'll take Manos at SS and Jimenez at 2B in 2003 over Jimenez at SS and Durham at 2B.

Guest hotsoxchick1

as much as i like ray ray it just aint going to happen...he uses up too much money....besides didnt anyone tell you guys we are the mlb farm system here.. turn them into great players and when they are about to make too much money we cut them loose.....:o

How can you guys even think that Ray's glove at 2nd is anywhere near as bad as Manos's at short.

To me I'd rather have Ray's bat and glove over manos's with Jimenez at short.

Will it happen, heck no, but maybe their is a guy out their we could sign cheaper as a free agent.

Guest hotsoxchick1

me thinks we are stuck with what we have here already jason.. now if for some strange reason one of our farm hands makes a good showing then theres the possibility of a change.. but i dont forsee it happening anytime soon....

Guest hotsoxchick1

better hope that hummel learns something in the ariz league this winter....he is about the only guy i have ever seen thus far regress in skills at the minor level......he had such a good season last year.. he aint done much this one though.....:(

Humell is a guy I really like and think will pan out. The question is will he learn enough in Arizona to make it to the majors. Last spring Humell impressed, but Ray Ray was here and people pretty much had him pencilled in to start this season. Then he had his terrible AAA campaign.

The question is what kind of a spring would he have to have to make it with the Sox.

Originally posted by soxfan420

i really like harris more he has alot more speed and im not sure on deffense but he plays little ball well he just needs to learn to hit the ball on the ground

Harris really reminds me a lot of David Eckstein, just without the seasoning. I think he needs another year in AAA to get his act together and work on some stuff. There's no point in keeping him at the show when its obvious that A) The Sox probably aren't going anywhere next year and B) he's CLEARLY not ready to handle Major League pitching.

The last thing we need to do is rush a guy who has leather like he does at a position we could use it at.