Sox Needs

Chisoxfn

I'm trying to stay level headed, and not just have this slump cause me to "give up" on the season. I'm trying to take a true view at what the team has, what it needs, and what it would take to get it. Right now all signs point to "wait a little bit longer to see how the team plays"

That's the easy answer for now, but that can't be used for much longer. Sure, our division is very winnable with a few moves, but i want more than the division. Sure, it'd be great, but if KW is going to give up Reed/Borchard/Rauch/XXX/Add payroll, this team better do some damage.

Does this team have it? Or is making the acquisitions to acquire the necessary parts worth it (will the team have it then?)

Right now, I think we all have a somewhat skewed view of our team, saying that this is what our team really is going to play like.

I, for one, know this. That was NOT Mark Buerhle I saw pitch last night. He has clearly NOT been himself lately, you can tell because when he was on earlier in the year, when he missed his spots, he missed outside or low, not right over the plate. Also, the hitters seem to be catching up to him. When he is on, even at his 91 MPH fastball, it blows right by the hitters, there's a little, oh, let's say giddyup, on it.

Right now - I am not seeing the Chicago White Sox on the field. Tonight - meh, it's the fifth starter, if we win we should all give the Father a prayer tonight. Hopeefully the Sox/Cubs game will get these guys jacked and give them the kick-in-the-ass that is needed. While some say that this is the wrong time to play the Cubbies, I disagree in the aspect that this team needs an emotional series to get this team pumped up, and hopefully get them to play the baseball that we all know they're capable of playing.

I thought this up the other day, and I'd ship Maggs to Boston for Williamson and Nixon. Only problem with Nixon his health. He only has 22 AB's, and I don't really know what the injury is.

The offense is fine without Magglio. The pitching has been downright nasty. The Sox can win without Magglio.

Well, the bullpen has officially become the #1 need.  The drastically need two relievers so Jackson and one other (be it Politte or Darensbourg or whomever).  I'd say one would like to be a really proven reliever, but there are a couple guys that are veteran type relievers that put up good numbers and could come to Chicago and really add depth to the pen.  Personally I like the Brian Meadows idea from earlier.  He's a quality reliever that could probably be had for a mid level prospect, maybe even for a Jason Grilli. 

The other would be Eddie Guardado or Ugie Urbina.  If the Sox got either, they would be adding a bit of payroll, but both are quality relievers.  Urbina is struggling in Detroit however, but he's still a quality reliever.  Braden Looper would be another good pickup, although I have no idea if the mets would be interested in moving him with the team out. 

The Sox could also go a little cheaper and pick up another lesser name guy like Stephen Randolph who does pretty good for the Dbacks and seems to have some upside. 

I personally feel this move is more important than getting a 5th starter because a bullepn is really key to winning the first 4 games.  This can help the Sox get back into shape and then the Sox can work on picking up their ace.  They should be able to acquire two relievers without giving up an arm and a leg. 

If they get someone like Guardado, then I'd like to see it as part of a big deal including Garcia.  A package similar to Rauch, Borchard or Reed, and then another good prospect depending on what the Mariners want. Maybe even an additional prospect if necessary.  I'd assume that the Mariners would want a position prospect because they have good pitching prospects in their own system.  This would be pretty far fetched though, but throwing it out there. 

Its more likley they just get Garcai for Rauch/Borchard and maybe someone else. 

Either way, I think Kenny needs to first focus on the bullpen.

1. Glavine/Garcia/Batista

2. Urbina

3. Finley (lesser need)

The end.

2. Urbina

3. Finley (lesser need)

The end.

Brando - first, your new sig rocks. :headbang

Second - what would it take to get Glavine, because I'm also intrigued by him. I guess it would probably depend on how much money we picked up, but would a Rauch/Borchard pack do, or is that too much?

thing is, slumps come when the bats stop. The bats arent stopping, the pitching is. And all at once. Thats not a slump... i wish it were... i'm really worried about his season. I think a Maggs and prospects for Garcia, Guardado, Finley would be amazing... to bad it aint happening

2. Urbina

3. Finley (lesser need)

The end.

I think the Mets will be buyers not sellers. Though ATL may have some bullpen and SP guys who could work. [smoltz anyone?] They'll be out of it come the deadline and need to get new blood.

I think the Mets will be buyers not sellers. Though ATL may have some bullpen and SP guys who could work. [smoltz anyone?] They'll be out of it come the deadline and need to get new blood.

I don't think the Braves are going to surrender unless they're mathematically out of it before the trade deadline. I don't think they'll throw away a shot at 13 straight division championships unless they stand to substantially profit from it.

I don't think the Braves are going to surrender unless they're mathematically out of it before the trade deadline.  I don't think they'll throw away a shot at 13 straight division championships unless they stand to substantially profit from it.

The Braves should be at least 10 games under .500 by the break. By the deadline, they might be 20 games under. With their injuries and lack of offense, they should throw in the towel early.

Yeah, with f***ing Phillies and Marlins (somebody's gotta grab the wild card away from the Cubs) letting me down, Mets all of the sudden find themselevs within reach. That's too bad, really.

I think him being signed past 2004 would have been too big a problem for Sox to overcome anyway. ]

The Jerry = :headshake

The Braves should be at least 10 games under .500 by the break. By the deadline, they might be 20 games under. With their injuries and lack of offense, they should throw in the towel early.

*cough*JDDrew*cough*

Waidaminute, why am I coughing? J.D. Drew

LHP power. Makes 4 Mill this year. Seems healthy enough. Plays best RF in NL.

Trading Konerko is key, though. Lee moves to 1B/DH and you can put Drew in LF.

I believe the Sox greatest shortcomings are:

1. The 5th starters have lost 7 games. The Sox came back to win Diaz' first start and Rauch won today. The other games were all pretty much over after a couple innings, they just had no chance to a win. If the 5th guy could have just treaded water I have no doubt the team would have won at least 3 of these games.

2. 7 blown saves. Blown saves are going to happen occasionally, but even factoring that in, at least 3 of these games should have been won.

3. They can't beat good right handed pitching. This was exposed most graphically during the Marlins series, Burnett, Pavano and Beckett (while they were in there) just dominated. The lefties we have to sub; Gload, Harris and Perez are great guys but are quite a fall off from the quality of right-handed hitting the team has.

The internal solution to problem 1 is Jon Rauch; problem 2 is Shingo Takatsu. I'm hopefull, but I doubt anyone wants to bet the mortgage on them. The internal solution to problem 3 is not in sight; the most promising guy is Joe Borchard but he's unpredictable.

I can't see the Sox winning this year unless they get very very lucky with the internal solutions, or they make some radical moves. Radical in terms of it may cost you talent such as Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, Damaso Marte along with ace prospects or some combination.

So I'm bracing myself for a heartbreak in terms of seeing a favorite leave the team. But I don't think they can win unless they do so.

So I'm bracing myself for a heartbreak in terms of seeing a favorite leave the team. But I don't think they can win unless they do so.

Konerko needs to get on a streak of a lifetime in the next month, so there will be takers for his contract.

I mean, sure, there is always a possiblity that JR gracefully opens his wallet and pays, say, Randy Johnson's and John Smoltz's salaries......But we know that's NOT going to happen, so getting Konerko's money off the books would be the first logical step. Lee is more versatile and has a higher upside than Kong, so he is the one staying.

If the deal does go down, than there should be NO talk about not being to "afford" Drew and Urbina, the two guys Sox haven't talked about. I am presuming they already have the money set aside for Garcia.

I believe the Sox greatest shortcomings are:

1.  The 5th starters have lost 7 games.  The Sox came back to win Diaz' first start and Rauch won today.  The other games were all pretty much over after a couple innings, they just had no chance to a win.  If the 5th guy could have just treaded water I have no doubt the team would have won at least 3 of these games.

2.  7 blown saves.  Blown saves are going to happen occasionally, but even factoring that in, at least 3 of these games should have been won.

3.  They can't beat good right handed pitching.  This was exposed most graphically during the Marlins series, Burnett, Pavano and Beckett (while they were in there) just dominated.  The lefties we have to sub; Gload, Harris and Perez are great guys but are quite a fall off from the quality of right-handed hitting the team has.

The internal solution to problem 1 is Jon Rauch; problem 2 is Shingo Takatsu.  I'm hopefull, but I doubt anyone wants to bet the mortgage on them.  The internal solution to problem 3 is not in sight; the most promising guy is Joe Borchard but he's unpredictable.

I can't see the Sox winning this year unless they get very very lucky with the internal solutions, or they make some radical moves.  Radical in terms of it may cost you talent such as Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, Damaso Marte along with ace prospects or some combination.

So I'm bracing myself for a heartbreak in terms of seeing a favorite leave the team.  But I don't think they can win unless they do so.

Need #1 addressed with Freddy Garcia, Olivo/Reed was a heart break but the team is better today.

Need #2 looks like Shingo may indeed be the answer. He hasn't proven he can in the US over a long period, but he has shown no reason to think he can't. Plus, Politte and Marte gave us everything we could ever ask for.

Need #3 is still out there. The umpire handled Maddux, Zambrano handled himself but Prior got us. We remain susceptable to stud right handed pitching. Even when Maggs comes back the only two guys in the line up who can really hit good righties are Frank and Jose. Come play-offs you need to get through 2 or 3 studs in a row.

I think another heart break is coming.