Outfield when Maggs returns

With Magglio Ordonez scheduled to return within the next couple of weeks, Ozzie's gotta begin to think about what he's going to be doing in our outfield. It's a given that nothing's gonna change for Carlos, as he'll remain in LF. But, with the recent surge of Timo Perez, I really don't want to lose his performances at the time Maggs comes back. I seriously think the "odd man out" here would be Aaron Rowand. Maggs could play CF, while Timo stays in RF (or vice versa). Rowand could give either a day off if necessary.

Your thoughts?

This is a good problem to have.  Both Rowand and Perez have been smokin hot the last few weeks.  Only thing I can think of is play Rowand against lh and Perez against rh.  If anything our bench gets stronger.

I agree they are both hot but there are FAR more RHP than LHP therefore Perez would be getting more time. I actually change my mind...Ozzie should base it on how successful the starter has been gainst the hitter and go with the better matchup. That way, you have the other on the bench if needed to Pinch it or run.

I agree they are both hot but there are FAR more RHP than LHP therefore Perez would be getting more time. I actually change my mind...Ozzie should base it on how successful the starter has been gainst the hitter and go with the better matchup. That way, you have the other on the bench if needed to Pinch it or run.

You're probably right. Perez was brought in here to be a 4th outfielder. It's about time Rowand get more consistent playing time. That is assuming we don't make a trade for another cf.

You're probably right.  Perez was brought in here to be a 4th outfielder.  It's about time Rowand get more consistent playing time.  That is assuming we don't make a trade for another cf.

Right, but he's been playing like he wants to be a nearly everyday outfielder. He's hitting and a great percentage of those hits have been absolutely HUGE! I'm not saying that he's as clutch as Jose, but he's becoming clutch himself! He's really "with it" in the field as well.

This is quite a dilemma. And, like Jordan4life said, it's a good dilemma to be in.

well 1 thing for sure you dont want to switch them every day but i think they should maybe switch every series with the exception if their is a pitcher one of them really really hits well off of or one goes into a deep slump

Completely agree here with the switching. The last thing we need is for lineup "tinkering" a la Jerry Manuel, and I highly doubt Ozzie would be in for doing that. But, lineup consistency is key in having a winning product.

I think you got to keep Timo in hes great and put mags in right and put Timo in center thats the way i see it

Timo has been great and not just playing good games but playing great games, like someone else said, he has given us some BIG hits with that in mind Timo should get playing time but I also have to go with switching them out with their success towards the pitchers. This also doesn't mean Clee can't ever have a day off... I have faith in Oz though, besides his high pitch counts, I think he can do a good job dealing with the dilemma. Rowand also HAS to get playing time also, hes been playing good and is better defensivly with his gun, he should never be forgotten.

I think Rowand should get the majority of the playing time, though not a vast majority. Timo should start all games that there is a tough righty on the mound, as a minimum. Rowand's getting to be solid, but those good RHP's will have him overmatched.

If anything our bench gets stronger.

Bingo! Even if Perez, Gload, etc.. don't play as much, they are already hot enough to pinch hit/play on a 5+ days rest on any given day. We had this problem last year when Manuel would pinch hit someone out of the blue who hasn't played in 15+ games and couldn't find his swing (except graffy who mostly delivered.) This makes our bench a hell of alot deeper and will help us in the long run.