Great Falls White Sox Struggling After 9-6 Start

Chisoxfn

Great Falls White Sox Struggling After 9-6 Start

By Evan Solon

July 19, 2004

FutureSox.com

After a solid 9-6 start of the season, the Great Falls White Sox have only been able to muster 4 wins in the last two weeks, dropping their record to 13-14, 2 ½ games behind 1st place Helena.

The Sox didn’t fare well either two weeks ago as they went 2-5 over that span. However, this last week, July12-18, they didn’t do much better, with 2 wins in 6 games. That span has especially been unkind to Donny Lucy, the 59th overall selection in the 2004 Amateur Draft, who was controversially chosen over highly regarded catchers Kurt Suzuki and Jason Jaramillo. In 11 at-bats this week, Lucy only managed 1 hit, which was a single. He also recorded 3 strikeouts and 0 walks.

However, it’s not just Lucy who’s struggling on offense. As a team, the White Sox have batted a measly .233 with just 13 extra-base hits, striking out 50 times, while working just 18 walks in 201 at-bats. The lone bright spot on offense was Daron Roberts, who held a .316 batting average with 1 home run and 6 RBI in 19 at-bats.

The starting pitchers have not fared well either, going a combined 0-3 with a 4.19 Earned Run Average (ERA). The starters have also combined to issue 17 walks, while striking out 24 in 30.1 innings pitched (IP).

The starting pitcher who had the most trouble this week was Grant Hansen, who had a 0-1 record in two starts. He had an ERA of 5.40 in 10 IP, allowing 9 hits and issuing 6 walks while striking out 8.

Demetrius Banks performed well in 3 relief appearances this week. He had an 0.00 ERA, while giving up just one hit while striking out 6 in 4.2 IP.

Other News and Notes: Ray Liotta will get the start tomorrow night against the Idaho Falls Chukars… Great Falls will have a busy schedule in the next 2 weeks with 14 games in 14 days… Great Falls has the 2nd best attendance in the Pioneer League, with 52,858 people attending 17 home games… Great Falls has been an affiliate of the White Sox since the 2003 season. Prior to 2003, they were an affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers… Numerous players have passed through Great Falls on their way to the major leagues, including Pedro Martinez, Raul Mondesi, Eric Karros, and Jeff Nelson just to name a few… Current Chicago White Sox prospect and Kannapolis Intimidators outfielder Ricardo Nanita has the Pioneer League record for consecutive games with a hit, with 30.

Wow, I can't believe there's so much interest in this article.  I never imagined it would get up to 29 hits and 0 replies (not counting this one)! :lol:

LOL, I thought it was good read. Besides Lucy, there aren't too many big name prospects on that team though, which prob shows the lack of interest.

Sometimes its good not to get replies...it can mean you did a good job and didn't make any mistakes :lol:

Usually for every piece I write I get Dan and/or Alex adding in their humor about something I did wrong grammatically, lol.

I liked it though, but you already know that.

LOL, I thought it was good read. Besides Lucy, there aren't too many big name prospects on that team though, which prob shows the lack of interest.

Thanks for the kind words. And, yeah, very true about Lucy being one of the very few big names in Great Falls. However, it's where most of our high draft picks went, so although most people don't really know who they are, they might if some of them start kicking ass in Kanny or Winston-Salem next year.

On a side note, I think that Great Falls and Bristol were the only team's without writers for them, so I figuered I'd at least pick the team that had most of our high draft choices, except for Fields, Lumsden, and Gio.

On a sider note, I think that Great Falls and Bristol were the only team's without writers for them, so I figuered I'd at least pick the team that had most of our high draft choices, except for Fields, Lumsden, and Gio.

Ha we haven't had writers for teams in a long time. DBAHO did 1 writeup on Charlotte, I did 2 on Kanny, Jason did the W-S preview and that's it. While I think it's nice to have team writeups, it's better to have features that are more unique. Anybody can look up the stats of the team.

Your article was well written, but it would be cool to see some unique stats that you might have to do some research to do.