Mariotti Column today

BlackBetsy

I agree that Kenny probably shouldn't have been talking about Magglio's health at all once he was done for the season and could have become a free agent. The only thing it could possibly do is piss off Magglio. If you believe that statement (Magglio has a potentially career threatening injury) to be true, keep it quiet so you can offer him a $11.2 million deal, let him reject it, and you get a draft pick when someone else takes a flyer on him. If you don't believe it, don't say it.

I also agree that you don't take Magglio's money and split it up among 3-4 different players. Spend it on 1 great player or 2 very good ones.

The one real monkey in the ointment (What? Forget it, the metaphor's over, just let it go) is the Expos/Senators - will the new ownership buy players like Pavano, Cabrera, etc. to make the team competitive right away? That could have a dramatic effect on the market.

[Actually, with Tomo Okha coming back next year, and Hernandez, Armas Jr. already inthe rotation... if the Expos add a Pavano or Radke to the rotation, that's a pretty good rotation. Now trade for a Carlos Lee, and sign someone like JD Drew - hey, not too shabby].

I agree that Kenny probably shouldn't have been talking about Magglio's health at all once he was done for the season and could have become a free agent.  The only thing it could possibly do is piss off Magglio.  If you believe that statement (Magglio has a potentially career threatening injury) to be true, keep it quiet so you can offer him a $11.2 million deal, let him reject it, and you get a draft pick when someone else takes a flyer on him.  If you don't believe it, don't say it.

I don't think that has any bearing at all. Any team that would be interested in Maggs would have him checked thoroughly by a doctor. They would be fully aware of the extent of his injury. And there is no way Maggs agent would allow the Sox to offer him arbitration, submit a $11.2 million figure and then not take them to arbitration. Hell, he would get more than that in arbitration if he can prove he is on track to come back by early in the season.

I don't think that has any bearing at all.  Any team that would be interested in Maggs would have him checked thoroughly by a doctor.  They would be fully aware of the extent of his injury.  And there is no way Maggs agent would allow the Sox to offer him arbitration, submit a $11.2 million figure and then not take them to arbitration.  Hell, he would get more than that in arbitration if he can prove he is on track to come back by early in the season.

(1) I agree that it doesn't have any bearing at all if a team is really interested...but may keep 1 or 2 teams that might be interested away.

(2) Magglio Ordonez will not get more than $12-$13 million in an arbitration (what the Sox were willing to pay him anyway). Book that - they look at comparable players, and the Vlad Guerrero (better player at $14 mil) and Garrett Anderson deal (comparable player at $12 mil) really box Maggs in.

Now the question is whether the Sox would even risk an arbitration offer at $11.2 million. I think they probably will. If they get a healthy Maggs at $12 million, then they are doing pretty well. If he signs somewhere else, they get a #1 pick. Plus, they can ALWAYS trade him - arbitration deals do not include no trade clauses - midway through the year in a pennant race and save 1/2 his salary. If he isn't healthy (which I think is a low probability), then, sure they suffer. But the alternatives are A LOT better.

Hey, I think I just talked myself into believing that the Sox would be smart to offer him arbitration.

"What I read in the paper is not fair. I don't understand where it's coming from,'' Ordonez said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm healthy. I'm going to be 100 percent by spring training. I don't know why they're saying I won't be.''

I feel for Maggs.

Our organization is a fxxxing joke.

I just read the column and it pisses me off so much that

we have such a clown for a GM.

KW makes some absurd quote about no flow of blood

to the bone, then one day later, after Maggs' comments

backs off.

Just tell us the obvious truth, KW.

The Sox will never pay to have a World Series team on paper.

The only way we will ever win a Series will be by pure, blind luck.

95 percent of the opening day roster having career years

by sure luck.

Magglio deserves way better.

I really wish the Cubs would take him if we don't want him.

I want to see him stick it up Dork's ass and KW's ass and do

it here in Chicago.

Guys the two big sinister plots being hatched by Kotex-Boy are mutually exclusice. Once again in his rush to screw over someone and steal headlines, his whole article is based on the impossible.

If Kenny Williams wanted rid of Magglio Ordonez so badly, why would he be driving his value down? That is just dumb. If you want to get rid of someone, you increase his value. KW would be talking about how well things are going, how he is recovering, this isn't that big of a deal etc. You try to talk someone into thinking that he is worthy and able for his "Vlad money".

By driving down his value all that means that we aren't going to offer him arbitration AND we aren't going to recieve any draft picks thereof. He isn't going to decline arbitration to take a cheap one year deal to stay here, and KW knows it. His agent would be an absolute dumbass to accept it. And if KW was involved in some sinister plot to blacklist Maggs, it would be as easy as Maggs openning up one of his workouts, and/or releasing his medical records SHOWING improvement. At least Maggs's agent has got to realize that is the quickest way to show he is healthy enough to get his big contract, and yet there hasn't been ANY substantive proof of ANYTHING from Maggs side of this, except innuendo and talk. The burden of proof lies firmly on Maggs side. Those inactions right there tell me that KW might be onto something.

Heck remember when Maggs came back, the team kept trying to talk Maggs out of it? He wanted to play sooner than he came back. Then when he did come back, he wanted to play the OF when the team didn't think he was ready, and he pretty much insisted on doing it. Then that quick he was back on the DL, done for the year. It is obvious the guy was trying to do whatever it took to get back out there, no matter what was best for him. The question becomes, was he out there for his team, or his next contract?

I hate Jay Mariotti and the whirlwind of lies and bulls*** he comes up with. I just wish for once, he would cross the line, and someone would take his ass down for good.

I don't think that has any bearing at all.  Any team that would be interested in Maggs would have him checked thoroughly by a doctor.  They would be fully aware of the extent of his injury.  And there is no way Maggs agent would allow the Sox to offer him arbitration, submit a $11.2 million figure and then not take them to arbitration.  Hell, he would get more than that in arbitration if he can prove he is on track to come back by early in the season.

Spot on, as usual. This is one of those situations where the 'truth will out'.

The Venezuelan League runs late Oct to the end of Dec. Maggs usually plays a handfull of games, last year for the Oriente Carires. If he is really healed and making progress in his rehab - like Mariati protrays - I look for his name to pop up there. He can dispell all doubts and everybody will know what they are negotiating for. If he misses winter ball then I think it will be a real crap shoot for anybody to sign him to a long term. Tim Reich will be carrying Magg's MRI around in his suit case during the winter meetings, but there will be doubt and some teams will be scared.

In any event I expect the Sox to make 'the highest offer to a right fielder in the history of the franchise' and then Maggs to get 30% more somewhere else.

Spot on, as usual.  This is one of those situations where the 'truth will out'.

The Venezuelan League runs late Oct  to the end of Dec.  Maggs usually plays a handfull of games, last year for the Oriente Carires.  If he is really healed and making progress in his rehab - like Mariati protrays - I look for his name to pop up there.  He can dispell all doubts and everybody will know what they are negotiating for.  If he misses winter ball then I think it will be a real crap shoot for anybody to sign him to a long term.  Tim Reich will be carrying Magg's MRI around in his suit case during the winter meetings, but there will be doubt and some teams will be scared.

In any event I expect the Sox to make 'the highest offer to a right fielder in the history of the franchise' and then Maggs to get 30% more somewhere else.

He will get 30% more... if that's what the market dictates!!!