Is B-Mac

winninguglyin83

found this article on the Chicago Tribune site.

seems to indicate that B Mac is not going to pitch in the AFL.

Maybe the Sox have decided that 170 innings is enough in one year.

If so, that's a wise decision.

The Arizona Fall League starts on Oct. 5. The Cubs' and Sox's prospects are on the Mesa Solar Sox. The other teams with prospects on the Solar Sox are Colorado, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

The Sox have designated pitchers Jeff Bajenaru, Matt Smith, Dennis Ulacia, shortstop Pedro Lopez and outfielders Brian Anderson and Casey Rogowski to the team

Exactly and I'm so so happy the Sox made this call. He had an awesome season, climbed from low A to AA and has a shot at starting in AAA and will get some time with hte big club in spring.

170 innings is plenty and he's developing into a definate workhorse, front of the rotation guy. I'm excited to see what another year brings.

I'm with ya too on Honel and Wing, especially Wing. They both could put the Sox back on the map with pitching prospects, along with Bmac and Tracey.

I'm happy he's not going too. Though I don't think he was pushed extraordinarily hard this season in terms of workload. Remember even though he is a strikeout pitcher, leading the minors in that category, he was extremely efficient. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I would imagine that his pitch #'s are not the most for the minors even though he was among the leaders in IP.

found this article on the Chicago Tribune site.

seems to indicate that B Mac is not going to pitch in the AFL.

Maybe the Sox have decided that 170 innings is enough in one year.

If so, that's a wise decision.

The Arizona Fall League starts on Oct. 5. The Cubs' and Sox's prospects are on the Mesa Solar Sox. The other teams with prospects on the Solar Sox are Colorado, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

The Sox have designated pitchers Jeff Bajenaru, Matt Smith, Dennis Ulacia, shortstop Pedro Lopez and outfielders Brian Anderson and Casey Rogowski to the team

Interesting they're sending Matt Smith to the AFL, likely to evaluate him for a spot on the 40 man roster. He's a reclamation project from the Mets system, and is a little older, 25 or 26.

Ulacia seems to have resurfaced as a prospect as well.

I don't see Ulacia as a prospect.  Yes, he pitched pretty well this year, but I just don't see him being successsful at a higher level.

They're sending him to the Fall League for a reason.

It may be to showcase him to other organizations so some people on this site get bent out of shape when Williams moves him. :P

From what I know Smith is going to be invited to major league camp this year.  Things may of changed, but last I knew that was the plan, but that was probably a month and a half ago. 

He did a very good job this year though.

He must know how to keep the ball down ... only 2 HR in 78 IP.

26 walks ... not bad, but not great.

The other "change" here is Pedro Lopez instead of Andy Gonzalez, as was initially listed by BA.

Probably a wise move. IMO, Pedro is a bit more advanced than Andy.

The other "change" here is Pedro Lopez instead of Andy Gonzalez, as was initially listed by BA.

Probably a wise move.  IMO, Pedro is a bit more advanced than Andy.

Gonzalez would have to be considered a disappointment, yes?

He really hasn't progressed with the bat, if one looks solely at the stats ... which can sometimes be misleading. He still has time, being 23 later this year, but I thought he'd come along faster and better. BA had him rated really high a couple of years ago ... I guess that shows not to put total faith in BA's assessment of prospects? :lol:

One really good thing about Gonzalez is his eye. He's also really slick with the glove, as is Lopez and Valido. No doubt those three are fun to watch play defensively, although they all are still inconsistent at times, but almost all young middle infielders are.

The one good thing I can say about Gonzalez, is while his stats may not say it, he made great strides. Seeing him play a few games last year and looking at the clips I had of him and comparing that with what I saw of him in a few games this year and I was a lot more pleased.

He had a shorter swing and a much much more comfortable swing. Two years ago he had one of the odder looking swings around, although when he made contact he would hit the ball hard.

Right now he's one of those guys that I think is capable of having a breakthrough year.

Probably a wise move.  IMO, Pedro is a bit more advanced than Andy.

I noticed that too. Personally I think Gonzalez had a better year last year, but considering age Lopez is way ahead. Regardless, Lopez needs to learn to walk if he wants to be a top of the lineup guy. Lopez had an OPS of .675 in W-S, that's pretty bad. His on base was only .328, not good for a top of the lineup guy. Gonzalez had a pretty solid year for the Hogs after not deserving his promotion there in the first place. I'm curious as to why he did so badly in Birmingham though. These 2 guys are definitely interesting cases though.