Story on ESPN.com

Bighurt52235

Sportscenter had a special with Dibble called "Contender or Pretender"

Dibbs had three contenders and two pretenders:

Pretenders:

Rangers

Reds

I think Buck is going to whip that Texas team into something good. If they can get any kind of pitching, they're going to be there in the West.

So their number 3 pitcher has drawn comparisons to Jesus Christ but that is because he arrived in Chicago only to walk across the waves of Lake Michigan. Kerry Wood is more likely to have his arm fall off or walk more batters then he K's each game he goes out. Matt Clement is as hot/cold as Jon Garland. One game he looks like Cy Young. The next outing he looks like Todd Ritchie. All the analysts expect a HUGE year from Zambrano even though he has yet to pitch a full ML season. And who is their number 5? Cruz? Gimme a break.

Prior is the real deal. Wood is as shaky as Dan Wright in my mind. Clement had a good season last year, who knows what will happen this season. Shawn Estes who had an awful season last year is their number five.

Quite frankly experts see that if things fall into place their starting staff will be real good, and that Dusty will pull out his usual magic.

Pretenders:

Rangers

Reds

I think Buck is going to whip that Texas team into something good. If they can get any kind of pitching, they're going to be there in the West.

I'm in agreeance with you Ian. Buck will do a good job down there. If they are healthy, they may just win the division, although I'm picking Seattle.

Pretenders:

Rangers

Reds

I'm in agreeance with you Ian. Buck will do a good job down there. If they are healthy, they may just win the division, although I'm picking Seattle.

Showalter is like Billy Martin.... Good for one or two years, then loses the team because he's a control freak.

Agree with you on their starting rotation Critic, but when it comes to the bullpen I will have to see it first, especially since they are without a closer for 6 weeks.

Remlinger is a quality arm ( and has closed ), Veres still has some gas in the tank, in my opinion ( and has closed ), and Borowski is still somehow getting people out. I was VERY impressed by what I saw of Angel Guzman, and if Farnsworth ever gets his head on straight he could dominate. So I think their bullpen will be much improved over last year, even though their best reliever last year is now on the Sox!

OK, enough Cub talk from me!!

Speaking of the Scrubs, which I absolutely hate to do, I never understood why the Marlins traded Clement and Alfonseca for Julio Tavares a little over a year ago. I know, I know, they wanted to dump some salary. Clement is a pretty darn good pitcher and Alfonseca was coming off a good year in 2001. You know they could have gotten a lot more than Julio for those guys. Ever since that trade I lthought the Scrubs had dirty pictures of the Marlins' GM. This is the same team that just got Mike Hampton from the Rockies with that obnoxious contract, which has since been dumped on the Braves, but Florida is on the hook for much of it.

I think I have come up with an idea for a new thread: "Stupid General Managers." The guy leading the Marlins should be at the head of the class. Trading Clement for Julio?

Speaking of the Scrubs, which I absolutely hate to do, I never understood why the Marlins traded Clement and Alfonseca for Julio Tavares a little over a year ago.  I know, I know, they wanted to dump some salary.  Clement is a pretty darn good pitcher and Alfonseca was coming off a good year in 2001.  You know they could have gotten a lot more than Julio for those guys.

That's the only reason. If the Marlins would have gotten fair-market value for Clement and Alfonsixa, they might have ended up adding salary over dumping it. The sCrUBS got lucky in 2001 when they acquired McWhiff from the D-Rays..... in yet another salary dump..... this time by the Florida AL team. Why aren't the Braves dumping salary when the White Sox are a contender? :huh:

I think I have come up with an idea for a new thread:  "Stupid General Managers."  The guy leading the Marlins should be at the head of the class.  Trading Clement for Julio?

How about the GM who traded 3 young arms for one Todd Ritchie? :huh:

I second that

I'm in agreeance with you Ian.  Buck will do a good job down there.  If they are healthy, they may just win the division, although I'm picking Seattle.

Agreeance? Isn't that what Fred Durst said a few weeks ago? :o

Texas is going to mash the ball no dount about that. They have to be able to hold the team down, and Showalter won't put up with any s*** either. If they aren't picking up the ball, he's gonna start busting heads.