Our minor league free agent list

Palehosefan

From BA. Any particular losses you are upset over? I can't find any right off the bat.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Jonathan Aceves

C

Brian Becker

1B

Mike Bell

3B

Darren Blakely

OF

Morgan Burkhart

1B

Julio Castro

RHP

Dionys Cesar

SS

Leo Daigle

1B

Courtney Duncan

RHP

Jose Espinal

RHP

Cip Garcia

C

Ryan Hankins

C

Kyle Kane

RHP

Carlos Maldonado

C

Aaron McNeal

1B

Brian McNichol

LHP

Jose Mieses

RHP

Michael Moore

OF

Bryant Nelson

2B

Richard Paz

IF

Oneli Perez

RHP

Ken Ray

RHP

Jose Santiago

RHP

Robert Sasser

3B

Bobby Smith

SS

Reggie Taylor

OF

Edward Tejada

C

Andres Torres

OF

Mario Valenzuela

OF

Jake Whitesides

OF

Patrick Williams

IF

Mitch Wylie

RHP

I really don't know much about the minors (never even seen a Sox affiliate play), but I'm a little surprised that Hankins is on the list. I thought he had a decent year at the plate last season, and read he had a good arm. Plus he plays multiple positions, which you would think makes him a good bench candidate for a manager that loves having 3 catchers for some reason. Does this mean Hankins is gone for sure (I assume it does)?

I really don't know much about the minors (never even seen a Sox affiliate play), but I'm a little surprised that Hankins is on the list. I thought he had a decent year at the plate last season, and read he had a good arm. Plus he plays multiple positions, which you would think makes him a good bench candidate for a manager that loves having 3 catchers for some reason. Does this mean Hankins is gone for sure (I assume it does)?

No. Aaron Miles was in a similar situation like 2 years ago and was resigned by the White Sox.

He did end up being traded, but the point remains.

Julio Castro is a name that caught my attention. At 23(finishing a complete season at high A ball) he is still considered a legit prospect. He had a very dominating season last year. His ERA was high at 5.54, but his peripherals were very good.

52 IP 40 H 18 BB 61 SO - The only problem was that he gave up 9 HR. Next year would certainly be a make or break year for him, but I would like to see what he can do at AA.

Jason, can you scare up a list of the minor leaguers that the Sox have to put on the 40-man roster or risk losing in the Rule 5 draft? I am not sure it is available in print anywhere, so you may have to make a call or two.

Have it on my desk by noon Friday.

Thanks!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Jonathan Aceves

C

Mike Bell

3B

Courtney Duncan

RHP

Ryan Hankins

C

Kyle Kane

RHP

Carlos Maldonado

C

Bryant Nelson

2B

Richard Paz

IF

Bobby Smith

SS

Reggie Taylor

OF

Andres Torres

OF

Mario Valenzuela

OF

Mitch Wylie

RHP

Just because I feel some of these guys haven't been given fair shots or have a lot to prove

All the list posted in this thread means is that these guys are now free agents, able to sign with whoever they want, whoever offers them the most money, the best opportunity, etc.

The control is on the side of the players here. The Sox have to decide which guys they would like to keep and try to re-sign them, just as they do with Major League Free Agents.

Minor League free agents make more money than their teammates (often more than 40-man roster players), signing bonuses excluded, because of this.

Oneli Perez and Edward Tejada I've never heard of....

Bryant Nelson if anyone at all...Hankins too

Exactly what I was going to say. I do not have Tejado or Perez on my rosters, and I think we should have given Nelson and/or Hankins a shot, I would guess we would try to resign them.

Hankins can play every infield position, and is a very consistent hitter.  The Sox turned him into a catcher this year, and he did a solid job.  Why didn't they offer him a contract?

They can still sign him. He is simply a free agent. We don't know what has gone on.