The "realistic" plan

whitesox61382

Vizquel is a mistake. The Sox should go after Planco. He's a free agent.

They need a #1 pitcher. Likely not a  free agent, but possibly a trade. Maybe Lee or Konerko?

Lowe is over-rated.  He's a converted relief pitcher with one - ONE - good year. His stats gets worse every year... And what if his cancer comes back. I say pass on Lowe...

Planco meaning polanco???

I personally dont like him because he has a VERY low obp.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get vizquel, you would rather have rowand leadoff??

Vizquel is a lot more patient, is faster, a great baserunner, and is a good contact hitter.  I like Rowand at the 2 spot right now anyways.

There's no doubt A-Row is better suited to hitting in the #2 hole or even lower down in the order at #6 or #7 where he get far more RBI oppurtunities. Rex Hudler has already stated though that Vizquel doesn't want to lead-off and it could be some sort of clause in his contract in order for us to be able to sign him. I doubt Ozzie can put up with Willie Harris leading off at 2nd for another year either. The best solution would be to trade Everett and some prospects, possibly in a 3 way deal and try to acquire Juan Pierre or Luis Castillo. Then you can move Rowand to right field, or Uribe becomes your super utility player off the bench.

Yes, considering what we would need to acquire him, that is VERY low.

Polanco's a FA. It wouldn't cost us anything to acquire him except part of our payroll. Would you rather a fat lazy (possibly) Carl Everett for $4 million or a smart infielder like Polanco for anywhere between 2 to 4 mill?

try to acquire Juan Pierre or Luis Castillo.

I wouldnt be surprised if we got pierre, which would be a very big addition to our team. Ozzie loves the guy a lot & would do all he could to help KW acquire him. However, I doubt castillo would be on the team, according to ozzie's "good attitude & TEAM" he wants to create, castillo fails miserably and i think ozzie knows this.

PS. I keep talking about the importance of ozzie because he has a huge influence in who comes to the sox, so latin players and team players are much more likely to come to our club.

Polanco's a FA. It wouldn't cost us anything to acquire him except part of our payroll. Would you rather a fat lazy (possibly) Carl Everett for $4 million or a smart infielder like Polanco for anywhere between 2 to 4 mill?

First off, Polanco will get more than 4 million, 5-6 million and i would rather have cabrera at 6 million(he has a low obp, but still hasnt peaked and is the best defensive player in the league and best gap hitter in the league) and vizquel at 4 million would give us more value IMO.

LOL, and how is he smart???

Highest Fielding Percentage of all NL second baseman of .995.

Placido Polanco (.298-17-55) was probably the Phillies' best situational hitter. He can also be a free agent who doesn't appear to have a position since Chase Utley has been penciled in to play regularly next year.

Hitting

Polanco is a classic No. 2 hitter, but he was willing to lead off or bat further down in the order when asked. He not only has the ability to bunt or advance a runner by hitting to the right side, but he also can turn on a pitch. Best of all, he is intelligent enough to know which approach best suits the circumstances. He has become a more patient hitter, walking 42 times-also a career best. There simply aren't many holes in his swing, as evidenced by the fact that he struck out just once every 13 at-bats.

Baserunning & Defense

Polanco's unselfish style is demonstrated in the field as well as at the plate. When first acquired from the Cardinals in July 2002, he played third base. He started last season at second, his more natural position, but moved back to third without complaint after David Bell went on the DL in July. Polanco has an adequate arm and decent range, but compensates by rarely making a mistake at either position. While not the fastest runner, he can take the extra base and stole 14 bases while being thrown out only twice.

Like witesoxfan said in the other thread, your post lost all credibility right there.

Cabrera isn't even the best SS in the AL East; nor is he the best defensive player on his team...

Some people do not believe in range factor and zone rating. But i feel if they are meaningless they would not be around.

OH!!!!

My bad, I didnt know a good fielding percentage constituted some1 as being smart.

Did you not read the rest of it? He doesn't make mistakes defensively or on the basepaths. He can field his position adequately wherever you play him and he can steal a base you. He's a consummate number 2 hitter. He's willing to play anywhere or hit anywhere in the lineup to help his team. That sounds like a pretty damn smart ballplayer to me.

Did you not read the rest of it?  He doesn't make mistakes defensively or on the basepaths. He can field his position adequately wherever you play him and he can steal a base you.  He's a consummate number 2 hitter.  He's willing to play anywhere or hit anywhere in the lineup to help his team. That sounds like a pretty damn smart ballplayer to me.

And how does this consititute a smart player???

And how does this consititute a smart player???

A guy that doesn't make stupid mistakes in the field or on the pads, that knows how to steal a base, and puts his team first .... defines a smart ballplayer, imo. To say nothing of the fact that it takes an intelligent hitter to be a good number 2 hitter. You have to know when to swing or take a pitch, how to hit behind a runner, how to sac bunt .... it's all situational baseball and it takes a smart player to do that well.