Chicago Sports Article

whitesox91403

The internets are back up: tribune link.

It doesn't sound promising. I'm guessing Hermanson and maybe Dye will be it in FA for the Sox. I don't think either one is a good idea. After what Felix Diaz did in AAA and out of the bullpen last year, I honestly don't see Hermanson being much of an improvement as a setup man. He did get some saves last year, but he's been so not good for five years that I don't think a couple months of OK relief work merits 6 million dollars over two years. I know it's not much by MLB standards, but it's deals like this that eat away at the budget (and yield little value) that make it impossible to sign a higher priced FA.

It doesn't sound promising. I'm guessing Hermanson and maybe Dye will be it in FA for the Sox. I don't think either one is a good idea. After what Felix Diaz did in AAA and out of the bullpen last year, I honestly don't see Hermanson being much of an improvement as a setup man. He did get some saves last year, but he's been so not good for five years that I don't think a couple months of OK relief work merits 6 million dollars over two years. I know it's not much by MLB standards, but it's deals like this that eat away at the budget (and yield little value) that make it impossible to sign a higher priced FA.

let me put it this way dont even try to guess whats going on in KW's mind and what his plans are its hopeless

After reading this, I just get that sinking feeling that he will not be signing a starter.

Here's the quote you're referring to:

--Williams said that in searching for a fifth starter this season, the Sox are "in different shape than we have been because we have confidence Jason Grilli is going to give us more than what we've gotten out of the 5 spot the last couple years."

I would love to know one person (besides Williams) who is confident in Jason Grilli. This quote was actually quite predictable in the wake of New York signing Jaret Wright.

While some of you undoubtedly believe Williams is not showing his intentions, in an attempt to assure general managers he's not desperate, I believe there is no cryptic meaning in this statement. Any move Williams creates for a starting pitcher will likely include Garland, which still leaves Grilli sucking it up.

After last season, I thought this organization learned its lesson with the 5th starter. Reinsdorf admitted himself the position was directly responsible for our failures! Grilli is our fifth starter in 2005. :puke

So what happened to this $75M payroll I keep hearing about?

--Williams said that in searching for a fifth starter this season, the Sox are "in different shape than we have been because we have confidence Jason Grilli is going to give us more than what we've gotten out of the 5 spot the last couple years."

I would love to know one person (besides Williams) who is confident in Jason Grilli.  This quote was actually quite predictable in the wake of New York signing Jaret Wright. 

While some of you undoubtedly believe Williams is not showing his intentions, in an attempt to assure general managers he's not desperate, I believe there is no cryptic meaning in this statement.  Any move Williams creates for a starting pitcher will likely include Garland, which still leaves Grilli sucking it up. 

After last season, I thought this organization learned its lesson with the 5th starter.  Reinsdorf admitted himself the position was directly responsible for our failures! Grilli is our fifth starter in 2005. :puke

I don't think it's his "intention" to use Grilli, but he's probably hedging his bets. I'd he's still looking for someone, though he may be gambling on Hudson or nothing. Or Zito, though I hope not.

He mentions trying to keep Schoenweis, which as a 5th starter, I could live with Schoenweis. I was actually thinking along the lines as using Cotts at the 5 only if he is going to add Renteria and Dye, and putting Scho in the pen. I could live with that, but he needs to sign Renteria and Dye to make that acceptable, IMO.

I would love to know one person (besides Williams) who is confident in Jason Grilli.  This quote was actually quite predictable in the wake of New York signing Jaret Wright. 

While some of you undoubtedly believe Williams is not showing his intentions, in an attempt to assure general managers he's not desperate, I believe there is no cryptic meaning in this statement.  Any move Williams creates for a starting pitcher will likely include Garland, which still leaves Grilli sucking it up. 

After last season, I thought this organization learned its lesson with the 5th starter.  Reinsdorf admitted himself the position was directly responsible for our failures! Grilli is our fifth starter in 2005. :puke

If Grilli enters the season as our 5th starter then i'm going to Soxfest and :puke on KW's shoes.