first game of the year and I'm already frustrated.

CWSOX45

The Sox will be all right this year.  They just have to get past the start-of-the-season jitters.

Well, true, but...

It's the start of the season for every team, and the Sox really cannot afford to give away any games. By all accounts, the AL Central is a horrible division, but it could turn out to have one of the best 1-2 races with the Sox and Twins, so we need to take as many as we can against the lower-tier teams. I think Wednesday will be a different story for our guys.

this is the first game of the year folks. granted they should've have had more life for the home opener. but i would wait to see 1/4 way into the season befor i start bashing these guys.

but compaining and bashing to 2 words with 2 different meaning in my own defination of words. so i will stop here.

what frustrated me was not that we lost...its how we lost...same ol s***...losing to a no name pitcher on a crappy team...first game of the year and it brought back all the bad memories of the last two season...

i saw the same lack of fundementals/ bad habits of the last two years...guys pulling outside pitches...a guy thrown out at home(excusable - but it still brought back bad memories of wavin wally :fyou )...no one trying to bunt their way on..everyone looking to hit a 3 run homer with nobody on base...lead off man swinging at a 3-1 pitch down by 2 runs...catcher backing handing a ball inthe dirt instead of blocking it that led to the 3rd run...carlos lee striking out and not even knowing it was the 3rd strike (classic braindead carlos) and yes..even st jose6 error...

like i said its not the loss thats frustrating..it wont be the only loss to the royals..but this loss shows me that this team still hasnt learned the little things about playing winning baseball....

i was watching the cards today...kerry robinson, the 25th guy to make their team , just told today he was on the roster , came up with the score tied in the 8th inning , runner on 3rd ,two outs ..what does he do..lays down a perfect drag bunt and beats it out to give the cards a lead they never relinquished...a bench player drag bunting with two outs for the win???..thats good winning fundemental baseball...plays like that are how good teams win close games...in today's game for the sox..we got 3 hits..did anyone try and bunt their way on base to try and jump start the offense??

that brings me to JM...the sox faced all right handed pitchers today...did daubach or rios get to pinch hit???...why didnt they pinch hit for rowand and alomar???...especially for alomar...i mean why the hell do we carry 3 catchers if we cant pinch hit daubach/rios for alomar???...this is classic manuel...he's in mid season form..

i know this is only one loss..but i couldnt think of a worse way for the sox to lose (outside of someone getting injured)...it already has me wondering if this team really has improved in the fundemental part of the game..and have they kicked the bad habits of the past and really worked to become a group of team players and not individuals??...something manuel promised would happen this year

One of the real weak spots ont eh team is Maunuel. he plays people for the hell of it. Letting Hosh Paul on teh roster was the Sox's yearly roster f*** up.

I can see at least 90 wins.

Absolutely. If Manuel doesn't do something..... anything ..... different to motivate this team after two sub-par seasons and a, what appeared to be half-hearted, effort today, then it will be time shortly to start the Jerry Manuel Death Watch '03. I get sick and tired of seeing him standing in the dugout with his hands in his back pockets all the time. DO SOMETHING GOD DAMNIT! PICK YOUR NOSE! FLOSS YOUR TEETH! ANYTHING BUT f***ING STAND THERE WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR BACK POCKETS LOOKING LIKE BASEBALL'S MANAGERIAL VERSION OF DAVE WANNSTEDT!!!!! f***!!!!!

You're right. We should have pinch hit for Alomar in the 8th inning. We only had 3-4 really good swings all day. I remember when JM was first hired, in one of his first interviews he said that the Sox will be playing National League style baseball -- lots of running, etc. Hope the Sox wake up Wednesday.

Heather, thanks for the welcome! I used to post over at the MLB boards, but I noticed that all of the old posters from over there started posting over here. So I decided to give it a shot. I like these boards better actually, there seem to be more baseball discussions, and less trolls!

CWSOX45

As usual, very great points, Baggs.

Very good points.

In my post, I meant to say Runlys Hernandez or Fernandez or whatever his name is really pitched welll.

I don' t think it was all our ineptness.

If we continue to do the things Baggs pointed out, JM will be gone

a month into the season.

I will not panic after one game, we could blast the R's the next two days

but we did suck on Opening Day, no question about it.

I don't think JM has a long leash this year. He will be gone soon

if we don't win 2 of 3 games in several series.

That's my opinion at least. Although we might be too cheap to can his butt.

By the way I live in KC area and R's fans think Game Two pitcher Affeldt is also gonna stymie our Sox bats.

By the way I live in KC area and R's fans think Game Two pitcher Affeldt is also gonna stymie our Sox bats.

It could happen. I never heard of Affeldt. Don't count on it though. Colon on the mound and an embarrassed Sox team. Will be interesting to see if The Tinkerer can fire the guys up :huh: or will he just stand there, emotionless, with his hands in his back pockets again?

It could happen. I never heard of Affeldt. Don't count on it though. Colon on the mound and an embarrassed Sox team. Will be interesting to see if The Tinkerer can fire the guys up :huh: or will he just stand there, emotionless, with his hands in his back pockets again?

I hope the players can fire themselves up because I don't think Manuel knows how to fire anyone up.

I hope the players can fire themselves up because I don't think Manuel knows how to fire anyone up.

You're right. A few of us here have been saying that for awhile now :headbang