kenny to be on espn1000

Kogs35

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is exactly what I said. he reads the ball, takes control and has a good arm ... good attributes to a centerfielder.

Completely agree. Spod in left is a range upgrade over Lee and Dye has a better arm then Maggs and is a good defensive outfielder. Don't know how much he's lost range wise, cause when in his prime he was a gold glove outfielder. Now he's probably a notch below that.

As far as whose in Arizona, I got no idea. Maybe Clements agent, maybe he's talking with the Dbacks GM? Maybe he is there with JR or maybe he's there negotiating an extension with Konerko who lives there.

Who knows, but there is a decent shot that he's there for a reason. Especially given his answer. I mean if he was on a vacation with family he'd of obviously stated that.

One season the guy makes like 4 starts.  His minor league numbers were absolutely amazing and he has pretty good, deceptive stuff.  Neal Cotts is a keeper.  Had the Sox had his arm stretched out he would of been by far the best 5th starter the club had last season (minus a healthy Scho, who was very good for a 5th starter). 

Cotts should turn into a good pitcher, although I wonder how stunted his development will be in the pen.  He's got the courage though and seems to pitch well out of the pen.  I think his numbers will really dazzle this year.

I'm just amazed by the fact that he can get by with a slightly above-average fastball, time and time again. the only time he gets beat is when he goes off-spead. once he learns how to throw his changeup and/or curve, he'll be fine.

I really like him and Adkins going into this season. I think both will be much improved.

I agree with that, but I think if the Sox don't have someone signed by then (ie a starter signed by Dec 20th) or if they have questions to that, then they will sign Scho to a deal.  Worse case you have him and deal him somewhere cause he should be rather affordable. 

Plenty of teams would have some interest in him.  You wouldn't get much, but you could mvoe him.  I also have long thought he'd make a great reliever.  However, with as deep as this bullpen is now, I don't know if the Sox would pay to keep him. 

He is a good reliever though, especially with the addition of the cutter and changeup to his arsenal.  Plus he's got a good sinkerball.  Its nice to have a guy like that coming out of the pen.

Wasn't he supposed to go to the Yankees last season before he was hurt, but they backed off because they would have used him in the bullpen, and they thought he wouldn't have a good attitude about it?

I'm just amazed by the fact that he can get by with a slightly above-average fastball, time and time again. the only time he gets beat is when he goes off-spead. once he learns how to throw his changeup and/or curve, he'll be fine.

I really like him and Adkins going into this season. I think both will be much improved.

Exactly, once he figures out those pitches, which have improved during his time in the majors, he's going to be an even better strikeout pitcher and continue to limit hits. I do think he'll always have a more than average number of walks because he tends to pitch that way, but they should decrease.

His control is better then you'd lead to believe, he gets up ahead of a lot of guys and than has trouble putting them away at times. They just continue to foul off his fastball (which they are way behind). As he learns to drop a pitch in the dirt he may get them to chase it cause they are so worried about the fastball.

The radar says its 88-90 but the eyes say its 94 due to his release point. He's going to be a good one, but also one of those guys that takes a little more time to develop. We'll see him make big strides this year.

However, my feelings on Adkins are that I think he's a journeyman reliever who will have a couple good seasons but you'll never know when those seasons will be. I think he'll bounce around a lot. I also don't think he makes the club and that he's dealt sooner or later. Wish him the best though.

My opinion could change if he finds the fastball he had two years ago. But as of now he has little movement and no above average pitch.

Exactly, once he figures out those pitches, which have improved during his time in the majors, he's going to be an even better strikeout pitcher and continue to limit hits.  I do think he'll always have a more than average number of walks because he tends to pitch that way, but they should decrease. 

His control is better then you'd lead to believe, he gets up ahead of a lot of guys and than has trouble putting them away at times.  They just continue to foul off his fastball (which they are way behind).  As he learns to drop a pitch in the dirt he may get them to chase it cause they are so worried about the fastball.

The radar says its 88-90 but the eyes say its 94 due to his release point.  He's going to be a good one, but also one of those guys that takes a little more time to develop.  We'll see him make big strides this year.

yeah, it's definitely faster than what the gun says. you can notice that just by watching him up close. I remember Alex Rodriguez said, when he was asked about it, that it looked like it was 100MPH.

yeah, it's definitely faster than what the gun says. you can notice that just by watching him up close. I remember Alex Rodriguez said, when he was asked about it, that it looked like it was 100MPH.

Ya, that was Cottsy's best start. Only mistake he made in that game was after keeping Arod in check he gave up like a 3 run homer or grand slam to him. IIRC

OF course I watched Neals' first start down in Anaheim...that whole series was ugly.

Does anyone feel a tiny bit nervous knowing that Ben Davis is going to be our starting catcher?  We have made no upgrade at catching this offseason so far..it doesnt seem to be a priority..But I always thought Kenny loved the 3 catcher idea..who do we have left?  Make a trade for Sandy! :headbang

I definately do. I hope the Sox look at AJ, even if Levine said they probably wouldn't.

I think right now the needs are: SP, Catcher and then middle infielder.

Does anyone feel a tiny bit nervous knowing that Ben Davis is going to be our starting catcher?  We have made no upgrade at catching this offseason so far..it doesnt seem to be a priority..But I always thought Kenny loved the 3 catcher idea..who do we have left?  Make a trade for Sandy! :headbang

Can't talk to Sandy until after May. Regardless.. his time to coach has come.

I definately do.  I hope the Sox look at AJ, even if Levine said they probably wouldn't. 

I think right now the needs are: SP, Catcher and then middle infielder.

for me, it's SP, middle infielder and catcher.

the reason I put middle infielder first is because I'd like a little depth there.

if we are strictly talking about a starter, then I have to say catcher.