A.J. Pierzynski

AddisonStSox

AJ would be a pretty good #2 hitter

good hit and run guy

hits lefty

contact hitter so can afford to take strikes when Podsednik steals.

not great OBP, but certainly an upgrade over Davis. I'd platoon burke & AJ, release Davis and his salary.

AJ would be fine batting 6, 7 or 8. He's not a #2 hitter

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that would be why?

No speed; Isn't as good a situational hitter as Uribe, Rowand; can't bunt; Hasn't hit in the #2 hole, want me to go on?

The sox have far better options than AJ for the #2 spot. Ozzie doesn't want a guy who can't score from 1st on a double hitting in front of Frank or Dye.

No speed; Isn't as good a situational hitter as Uribe, Rowand; can't bunt; Hasn't hit in the #2 hole, want me to go on?

He's got average speed, if you've ever seen him play. He's a better bat handler than Uribe. He's got a higher OBP than Uribe. KW says Rowand will bat down in the order. He wouldn't be your prototypical #2, but the Sox don't have one of those. You really want Uribe to be taking strike one and two while Podsednik tries to get a good jump?

I would love this move by signing AJ...He would be great in the 6th hole right after thomas, konerko, dye...When he was with the Twins...he hit great at the cell..The only concern I have is that he only threw out 17% base-stealers last year..But how much better is Ben Davis or Jamie Burke..In my mind, this would be a great move..So Kenny you have my approval..sign AJ

From the Boston Herald:

"The Sox are continuing to have civil, daily dialogue with agent Scott Boras about free agent catcher Jason Varitek [stats, news], but continue to make little progress. Varitek must accept or reject arbitration by Sunday. If he rejects it, the sides will only be permitted to negotiate until Jan. 8. . . .

A report out of Minnesota that the Sox had shown interest in former All-Star catcher A.J. Pierzynski appears to be premature. As long as they continue to have a shot at re-signing Varitek, the Sox will keep their distance from Pierzynski out of respect for the incumbent.

Pierzynski, who batted .272 with 11 homers and 77 RBI in 131 games last season, was put on waivers by the San Francisco Giants earlier this week after Mike Matheny was signed to a three-year contract. The 27-year-old, who was acquired from the Twins on Nov. 14, 2003, made few friends in San Francisco.

Pierzynski was paid $3.5 million in 2004 and is eligible for arbitration. If he clears waivers, however, he'll lose that right when he signs with a new team. . . ."

Interesting. A team can pick him off waivers, but would have to be prepared to probably  pay him more than $3.5 mill. in arb. But if he clears waivers, he'd be free to sign w/ any team, at a lower price.

Would the sox claim him off waivers [or any other team] knowing he'd make at least $3.5 mill? Or wait and try to sign him as a FA? From the sounds of it, the sox have tried to talk with him, prob. to gauge his interest in joining the sox and clear up any questions.

Ya sure this isn't the RED Sox? It is from the Boston Herald.

He's got average speed, if you've ever seen him play. He's a better bat handler than Uribe. He's got a higher OBP than Uribe. KW says Rowand will bat down in the order. He wouldn't be your prototypical #2, but the Sox don't have one of those. You really want Uribe to be taking strike one and two while Podsednik tries to get a good jump?

Yes, Uribe would be fine at the #2 spot if his 2005 is like his 2004 yr. IF the Sox got AJ [and that's a big IF] he wouldn't hit #2. You might want to argue this, but can you see Ozzie Guillen trying to make the case AJ is his best fit for that spot?! I can't.

Avg speed? For a C maybe. Ozzie doesn't want a guy who hit into 27 DP's last yr near the top of the lineup. If that is avg speed for a LH hitter, I'd hate to see what a slow runner would look like

BTW-Uribe hit very well w/ 2 strikes on him last yr, and is a good "bad ball" hitter. He seems very capable in the #2 spot, much more so than AJ

Ya sure this isn't the RED Sox?  It is from the Boston Herald.

I know its about the Red Sox. I was just pointing out the fact that if he cleared waivers, he could sign with any team and not have to go to ARB. [Which AJ cleared waivers, per the WP, and can negotiate a new deal]

I think it's worth a shot putting Uribe in the number 2 slot. He's too aggressive right now, and that may force him to be more selective and therefore make him a better hitter. If he doesn't adjust in the short term, then bail on the experiment but I think it's worth a shot. He doesn't have to worry about his contract for a few years, so he might be open to "sacrificing for the team".

Avg speed? For a C maybe. Ozzie doesn't want a guy who hit into 27 DP's last yr near the top of the lineup. If that is avg speed for a LH hitter, I'd hate to see what a slow runner would look like

AJ grounded into 27 DP's because Bonds was planted on 1B 300 times.

He grounded into 27 the two previous years combined.

Not that speed and DP's are correllated 1:1 anyway. (see Andruw Jones)

But you're right. The book says catchers can't bat in the #2 slot.

AJ grounded into 27 DP's because Bonds was planted on 1B 300 times.

He grounded into 27 the two previous years combined.

Not that speed and DP's are correllated 1:1 anyway. (see Andruw Jones)

But you're right. The book says catchers can't bat in the #2 slot.

Catchers are not suppose to lead-off and kendall is one of the best.

ARow in the 2 hole, EOS.

Uribe? Puhlease! Don't be fooled too much by last yr, the 2 yrs before that he had an OBP less than .300 and you need a good OBP guy up there in the 2 hole. You also run the risk of him K'ing on 3 straight pitchouts. Maybe if he's in a hot streak but otherwise he should be hitting 8th.

Unfortunately with the Lee trade we will probably have to hit ARow 3rd, at least until Frank comes back. If that's the case(and it is) I'd lean towards putting Willie up in the 2 spot, he's a decent OBP, he can bunt, and it bunches our two rabbits together for double steals and running rallies.

My other suggestion, and don't laugh, is putting Crede up there. I have a few good reason why, but y'all are probably laughing too hard to read them so I won't bother.

ARow in the 2 hole, EOS.

Uribe? Puhlease! Don't be fooled too much by last yr, the 2 yrs before that he had an OBP less than .300 and you need a good OBP guy up there in the 2 hole. You also run the risk of him K'ing on 3 straight pitchouts. Maybe if he's in a hot streak but otherwise he should be hitting 8th.

Unfortunately with the Lee trade we will probably have to hit ARow 3rd, at least until Frank comes back. If that's the case(and it is) I'd lean towards putting Willie up in the 2 spot, he's a decent OBP, he can bunt, and it bunches our two rabbits together for double steals and running rallies.

My other suggestion, and don't laugh, is putting Crede up there. I have a few good reason why, but y'all are probably laughing too hard to read them so I won't bother.

Crede at #2 might not be a bad idea. opens holes for him and he'll see better pitches. the only thing I don't like is he strikes out too much. But a damn good suggestion. :headbang