Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Look it up!  Batting #1 he had a 907 OPS. His 3yr avg is 874 OPS.

I am saying overall. In any season of his career he has never had an ops over .900. I am not just talking about his ops in the lead-off spot. What does it matetr if he cannot get on base?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
i would definately want Soriano. He is far and away one of the best 2B in the league. That's why the Yanks would want him over anybody. He's a superstar 2B. He would be a great leadoff hitter and a better #2 hitter.

Give me some reasons why he would be a great lead-off hitter and a betetr 2 hole hitter please?

I've looked this up in more detail & our biggest weakness the past 3 yrs is our performance against the top 6 opposing pitchers in the ALC (Westbrook, Sabathia, Maroth, Johnson, Radke, Santana). We do not have a winning record against any of them!

I want the guy who has done the best against all 6 of them. I think that's Soriano but I'll look it up to make sure.

OPS does not matter for a leadoff hitter. The point of a leadoff hitter is to get on base.

Alfonso Soriano, for the record, is a terrible leadoff hitter. His highest career OBP is .338...yet people want this guy on our team, and in some cases, want him leading off. While, on the flip side, people are complaining about Harris and his .343 OBP.

Hmmm...

Castillo has virtually no experience against the top 6 in the ALC.

He does have a 774 OPS vs Milwood. But there's really no comparison.

Soriano 2002-04 avg's:

Apr .354A, .399O, .565S

May .253A, ..296O, .490S

Jun .307A, .341O, .494S

Jul .257A, .293O, .511S

Aug .275A, .317O, .504S

Sep .301A, .348O, .556S

Castillo 02-04 avg's:

April .283, .332, .350, .682 Soriano beats him.

May .338, .400, .409, .809 He beats Soriano.

June .305, .375, .390, .765 Soriano beats him.

July .332, .400, .405, .805 He beats Soriano.

Aug .283, .362, .341, .703 He beats Soriano.

Sep .285, .371, .319, .690 Soriano beats him.

Intangibles: post-season

Soriano 03: .267O, .296S, 4R, 9RBI, 71AB/16H

Soriano 02: .211O, .353S, 2R, 2RBI, 17AB/2H

Castillo 03: .291O, .268S 6R, 4RBI, 71AB/15H

It's a tough decision betw these two because Soriano starts strong & finishes strong. Castillo does not. The past 3 yrs the CWS has been in the div hunt entering Sep. They've been weak finishers. Soriano would certainly help that problem.

But you can't negate the fact that the CWS play in the Cell. That means guys with high OBP are needed more than guys with high SLG. Castillo is more likely to raise his SLG at the Cell than Soriano is to raise his OBP.

All things considered using Uribe as an example Castillo would make a better fit for the CWS.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
I looked it up in the Soriano thread.  I'm saying no to Soriano.  MIN owns him.  He will not help us defeat our division rivals.  That's all that matters.

I'm saying no to Soriano because he embodies everything the Sox are trying to get away from.

Horrible Defensively, Obp issues, Nasty Contract, Swings from the heels.

no thanks.

quote:

Horrible Defensively, Obp issues, Nasty Contract, Swings from the heels.

He is not horrible defensively. He is similar to Jose Valentin in regards to his D. Can make the great play & solid on DP's but prone to miss the simple play.

He is a consistent 250+ hitter month to month. Say what you will about his OBP but the CWS have few players on the team than can make the same claim.

He doesn't have a contract! He's an RFA for one more year.

Yes he is prone to the K but he hits on more ab's when he misses. He's never had a slump to cause him to hit so poorly he'd reach Crede's or Davis' average.

You are way underestimating Soriano's value as a hitter. But since he doesn't own the top 6 in the ALC I don't think he's worth the price he would command.

Thought I'd update a little. It looks like the MArlins are in a good position to land Delgado. The Rangers and Mets both needing to clear salary before getting Delgado. And the Marlins offer of 3 yrs and $35 mill, even if deferred, seems the best on the board.

that said, it looks like the Marlins fans know Castillo would have to be moved if they landed Delgado. From various fan sites, it looks like they'd approve.

With everything quiet on the 2b front for the sox, maybe they are playing the waiting game, to see if Castillo becomes available. If he does, the sox would go after him in a heartbeat. I'd think they would target him even more than they have Vazquez.

Let's go Marlins, land Delgado!

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
Thought I'd update a little. It looks like the MArlins are in a good position to land Delgado. The Rangers and Mets both needing to clear salary before getting Delgado. And the Marlins offer of 3 yrs and $35 mill, even if deferred, seems the best on the board.

that said, it looks like the Marlins fans know Castillo would have to be moved if they landed Delgado. From various fan sites, it looks like they'd approve.

With everything quiet on the 2b front for the sox, maybe they are playing the waiting game, to see if Castillo becomes available. If he does, the sox would go after him in a heartbeat. I'd think they would target him even more than they have Vazquez.

It makes sense that they'd go after him. He fits our needs. He is more of a known quantity than Iguchi. Also, Ozzie is very familiar with him. That being said, I hope you are right.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)

just reading that put a giant smile on my face. I've wanted luis castillo on this team for years now, he is one of my favorite players in the league and exactly what the sox need. Oh my god, if the sox land castillo, wow....this team would be amazing. One of the most solid teams in the league.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
just reading that put a giant smile on my face.  I've wanted luis castillo on this team for years now, he is one of my favorite players in the league and exactly what the sox need. Oh my god, if the sox land castillo, wow....this team would be amazing.  One of the most solid teams in the league.

Don't forget the fact that we'd have to give something ... something more than just roster fodder ... to get him.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
just reading that put a giant smile on my face.  I've wanted luis castillo on this team for years now, he is one of my favorite players in the league and exactly what the sox need. Oh my god, if the sox land castillo, wow....this team would be amazing.  One of the most solid teams in the league.

yeah wed be amazing but we have to give something up and that could be an awful lot for such a good player, dont think it will happen though

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
yeah wed be amazing but we have to give something up and that could be an awful lot for such a good player, dont think it will happen though

Folks, don't get your hope too high. Mets just offer Delgado 4years/$52 mils. Delgado is heading to NY! And if that's the case, Luis Castillo is heading nowhere except staying with the Marlins.

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Folks, don't get your hope too high.  Mets just offer Delgado 4years/$52 mils.  Delgado is heading to NY!  And if that's the case, Luis Castillo is heading nowhere except staying with the Marlins.

Where did you hear this? I've been looking around and haven't heard anything like this? If true, no one would prob. top that offer.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Don't forget the fact that we'd have to give something ... something more than just roster fodder ... to get him.

If you think about it, which hole is easier to fill, whether in house or via trade---an impact 2b/ #2 hitter/ leadoff hitter, who has speed, and solid defense? Or a LH set up man in a guy like Marte? Even if it created a short term hole, the current bullpen could absorb his loss.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Where did you hear this? I've been looking around and haven't heard anything like this? If true, no one would prob. top that offer.

In the Marlins forum, one guy wrote that WFAN Radio has mentioned that. In addition, according to NY Times, Beltran has called Delgado in trying to lure Delgado to the Mets. According to Jayson Start, the Mets GM Minaya and Mets owner Fred Wilpon will meet with him. If the Mets want Delgado, they WILL get him.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
If you think about it, which hole is easier to fill, whether in house or via trade---an impact 2b/ #2 hitter/ leadoff hitter, who has speed, and solid defense? Or a LH set up man in a guy like Marte? Even if it created a short term hole, the current bullpen could absorb his loss.

:notworthy

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
In the Marlins forum, one guy wrote that WFAN Radio has mentioned that.  In addition, according to NY Times, Beltran has called Delgado in trying to lure Delgado to the Mets. According to Jayson Start, the Mets GM Minaya and Mets owner Fred Wilpon will meet with him.  If the Mets want Delgado, they WILL get him.

The Mets also have a $100 million payroll with something like 13 more spots to fill. Unless they get rid of some salary [what teams will take big money guys like Piazza, Cameron, and Floyd, without dumping their own high priced busts?], Delgado isn't likely to be a good fit. Esp with the Mets horrible bullpen. More likely the Mets would go with an Olerud type at 1B, and get some pitching via trade/ salary dump.