Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Marte isn't a sure thing?

Marte had what many people called his 'worst' season last year, and he still had an ERA under 3.50...

We're at a point right now where we have (IMHO) four solid relievers in Marte, Shingo, Vizcaino, and Hermanson, a couple of question marks with potential to put up solid numbers in Politte and Cotts, and then our long relief guy (who you hope to give you good innings) in Adkins/Diaz.  I'd like to keep it that way...

Exactly. We need this bullpen to remain intact if we want to go anywhere. We can live without Castillo if their price is Marte +.

You know what guys you convinced me.

Marte for Castillo is a good deal.

I totally forgot we even had Munoz. I think that we could survive without Marte and I think Castillo would be more valuable.

However I would want to have the Marlins take Willie as well because he's just taking up roster space that should be used to bring Burke back as the third catcher/backup CIF.

Marte/Harris for Castillo

The more I think about it the better that sounds... :wub:

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I think Marte and Harris is too much to give up unless they send some young prospects this way.

As much as I like Harris he has no value and he does us no good on the Bench (doesn't play SS or 3B). Either he is our starting 2B or he shouldn't be on the team at all. Thus we would have to throw him in to the deal. Unless we keep him at AAA of course but I think he's out of options.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
I would love to see Ozzie and KW bring Miquel Caberea to the whitesox maybe we can give up Marte and Crede.

Caberea  can  be our  new 3B..  I  would be one happy sox fan

Is that before or after SF sends us Barry Bonds for Pods?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
You know what guys you convinced me.

Marte for Castillo is a good deal.

I totally forgot we even had Munoz. I think that we could survive without Marte and I think Castillo would be more valuable.

However I would want to have the Marlins take Willie as well because he's just taking up roster space that should be used to bring Burke back as the third catcher/backup CIF.

Marte/Harris for Castillo

The more I think about it the better that sounds... :wub:

You sound as if Munoz possesses potential to replace Marte's talent.

Sox desperately need a strong bullpen for no other reason than El-Duque's questionable health. If he enters a "dead-arm" stretch, and is unable to eclipse 5 innings, I'd wonder how the bullpen would manage for 4 innings without Marte.

Personally, I can't stand these offseaon moves in which we take one step forward- two backwards. It's obvious with the offense, which was often inconsistent, change was imminent; but our bullpen was never dependable. Politte/Hermanson/Marte/Vizcaino/Shingo is a stellar bridge to assemble from starter to victory. If any of our starters have a mediocre outing, Ozzie will have no restraint in removing his pitchers.

It may sound ridiculous to covet Marte over Castillo, but I believe he's incredibly vital to our teams success.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
As for getting on base Soriano had a 328 while AJ had a 312 OBP. So i guess Soriano gets on base more than AJ

Soriano costs around $6-7 mill, and will cost some solid prospects(at the absolute least, I would see it to be Cotts and maybe a higher up prospect not named Sweeney, McCarthy, or Anderson). AJ Pierzynski cost us $2.25 mill and no players(except Jamie Burke). He's terrible defensively, and the return would not be a ton greater. Also...isn't it funny how he went from a pitcher's park in Yankee Stadium, having put up back-to-back .310 40 100 .870 35 years, and then goes down to Texas, a very good hitter's park, and puts up a .280 30 90 .800 20 season? Consider that the Ballpark at Arlington is a BETTER hitter's park then USCF(its park factor was 111-hitting, 109-pitching...USCF's was 107-106 respectively).

Also...I'm not sure anyone is arguing whether Soriano is the better player then AJP...because Soriano is. However, we are likely going to get .270 average, .350 OBP, and 20-30 steals atleast from Willie against RHP this year, and some cheap veteran 2Bman can be brought in to face LHP, and they should be able to duplicate what Willie does(except the SB number). From the catcher spot, prior to getting AJP, we were going to be lucky to get .250 10 50 .700...now we will be unfortunate to get .270 10 70 .750...because AJP can put up better numbers then that. There is quite a large difference there, especially for the money. Catcher was by far a bigger need then 2B.

I want no piece of Soriano at that price.

Castillo on the other hand, I would imagine, would probably take Harris, Cotts, and maybe another prospect...and then again, maybe not...costs $4.5 mill, which is $1.5-2.5 mill less then Soriano makes, is better offensively in the fact that he gets on base more often and is usually a better base-stealer, and he is better defensively too.

For what the team needs and is looking for, Castillo > Soriano.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Who knows what we're going to get with Marte this year.  He reported to camp last year out of shape with five miles off his fastball.  He's not the same pitcher that he used to be, and while he might get it back, he might get worse.  Why not trade for a sure thing in Castillo?

It must have been just camp that he was pitchig five miles slower. Because during the regular season he was 94,95,96. Ocassionally he would hit 97. He just had one stretch were he could not find the plate, other than that he was great.

If you get a chance to get Castillo...I think you do it. How many people that are for the Iguchi

signing have actually seen him play?!?...is he an upgrade over Willie Harris? Although I'm not thrilled about giving up Marte for Castillo...I think it's the best move to make since what are the prospects of getting a 2B down the road, whether it's from the farm or otherwise. Hoping that it's Cotts instead of Marte (Cotts, Marte and a lower level prospect). I'd be shocked if KW pulled the trigger on this though. Like alot of you have said...one of the things that I'm pretty happy with to date is the bullpen going into next year. Losing Marte would suck...but if it meant adding Castillo...I think I gotta pull the trigger on that one and PRAY that Cotts or Munioz come through big time.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)

Sox desperately need a strong bullpen for no other reason than El-Duque's questionable health.  If he enters a "dead-arm" stretch, and is unable to eclipse 5 innings, I'd wonder how the bullpen would manage for 4 innings without Marte. 

Personally, I can't stand these offseaon moves in which we take one step forward- two backwards.  It's obvious with the offense, which was often inconsistent, change was imminent; but our bullpen was never dependable.  Politte/Hermanson/Marte/Vizcaino/Shingo is a stellar bridge to assemble from starter to victory.  If any of our starters have a mediocre outing, Ozzie will have no restraint in removing his pitchers.

It may sound ridiculous to covet Marte over Castillo, but I believe he's incredibly vital to our teams success.

No of course i'm not saying that Munoz could replace Marte. I just didn't think we had any other lefties besides Neil Cotts or Kevin Walker we could plug into the bullpen.

Yes Marte is a great pitcher and yes it would weaken our bullpen. Under any other circumstances I would be totally against it. However I don't see Pods as being able to handle being a leadoff hitter for this team. Thus Castillo becomes more important because we can have him lead off and move Pods down to the 9 hole.

Castillo would be the only guy I would consider trading Marte for.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
As much as I like Harris he has no value and he does us no good on the Bench (doesn't play SS or 3B). Either he is our starting 2B or he shouldn't be on the team at all. Thus we would have to throw him in to the deal. Unless we keep him at AAA of course but I think he's out of options.

If you think he has no value you are very mistaken.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)

Sox desperately need a strong bullpen for no other reason than El-Duque's questionable health.  If he enters a "dead-arm" stretch, and is unable to eclipse 5 innings, I'd wonder how the bullpen would manage for 4 innings without Marte. 

Personally, I can't stand these offseaon moves in which we take one step forward- two backwards.  It's obvious with the offense, which was often inconsistent, change was imminent; but our bullpen was never dependable.  Politte/Hermanson/Marte/Vizcaino/Shingo is a stellar bridge to assemble from starter to victory.  If any of our starters have a mediocre outing, Ozzie will have no restraint in removing his pitchers.

Great post.

We have what I see as two question marks in our rotation in El Duque and Contreras. We know what we'll get from Garland, Buehrle, and Garcia -- most likely, the first two will be 210 IP+, while Garcia will be right around 200 IP. Garland will give us a sub-five ERA, and Buehrle and Garcia should be able to put up sub 4.25 ERA's, most likely better than that.

As for El Duque and Contreras... El Duque, when healthy, we know what we'll get from him. But -- how healthy will he be? At some point this year, he'll most likely break down at least once. And, with Contreras -- how many starts will he be unable to get out of the second inning, because of endless walks? We know he'll have his starts where he'll absolutely dominate, but he's also going to have some real s***ty starts, too.

Which makes it such a key to have an excellent bullpen. For those of you Marte nay-sayers, I really don't know why. Marte had an awful year last season, and was still a very good reliever for us.

I'd definitely do Harris+Cotts+PTBNL for Castillo, but I don't want any of our key, late-inning relievers (Vizcaino, Shingo, Hermy, Marte) being part of the deal...

I don't see how anyone could dismiss the acquisition of a top 5, perhaps top 3, second baseman in exchange for a middle reliever. Rarely can one player provide as big of an offensive improvement to a team like Castillo would to this team, you don't let opportunities like those pass you by.

i think we are underestimating the importance of a good setup man. while marte may not be the flashiest/most dominant pitcher out there, it's very important to have a guy you can put in there and know he won't blow a 2-3 run lead. i do think that the addition of castillo would make us an obvious choice for division champs, but if we were the division champs, someone like marte would be priceless in the offseason and in other big games. if we could find a way to work it without giving up someone who is a key to the team, it's an obvious choice. i think it would be acceptable to give up one upper-tier prospect for this guy, if we can sign him.

oh, and winning ugly, to compare AJ's OBP and soriano's is retarded. one is a second basemen who you expect to bat at the top of the order and be successful a lot of the time. the other is a catcher who is a great boost to the bottom of a lineup. no comparison.

Frank