Na Na Na Hey Hey

Guest wsc425

Steam

early 1970s - 70 or 71

one hit wonders

I thought it was later 70's. I know it was picked as the theme by the south side hitmen in 77.

that song was used excusively by the south side hitman. i remember reading an article from last yr or so where some of the players said that they hated if they were behind and had to hear that song. if i remember that it was an article with dick allen.

Steam

early 1970s - 70 or 71

one hit wonders

I thought it was later 70's. I know it was picked as the theme by the south side hitmen in 77.

that song was used excusively by the south side hitman. i remember reading an article from last yr or so where some of the players said that they hated if they were behind and had to hear that song. if i remember that it was an article with dick allen.

After the first day of the season, WGN had a feature on the south-side hitmen, and their rivalry with the royals. The Royals players said they hated that song.....

Steam

early 1970s - 70 or 71

one hit wonders

After the first day of the season, WGN had a feature on the south-side hitmen, and their rivalry with the royals. The Royals players said they hated that song.....

i remember that time when the sox was its in glory. the late 70's, the old park and what a team.

That was a fun team to watch. Bill Veeck put together a team of retreads and mid-level stars, and they clicked. Eric Soderholm, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble. He traded Terry Forster and Rich Gossage to Pittsburg for Zisk, so hat was somewhat painful. Of course, Veeck couldn't afford to kep this team together as Zisk and Gamble bailed to free agency. Basically, Veeck invented and tried to keep the team competetive with the "rent-a-player" philosophy.

That was a fun team to watch. Bill Veeck put together a team of retreads and mid-level stars, and they clicked.  Eric Soderholm, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble. He traded Terry Forster and Rich Gossage to Pittsburg for Zisk, so hat was somewhat painful.  Of course, Veeck couldn't afford to kep this team together as Zisk and Gamble bailed to free agency.  Basically, Veeck invented and tried to keep the team competetive with the "rent-a-player" philosophy.

yeah but he did try to bring a championship here. those were the yrs that i will always associate with.

When Veeck owned the Sox the first time around, he really made some trades that proved to be horrendous. Trading off Earl Battey, Johnny Callison, Norm Cash, etc. But that was before I was old enough to even know who the Sox were. I do know, that as a fan, I enjoyed having Bill Veeck as the Sox owner. Before the '77 season, I wrote Bill a letter expressing my concern that club was not going to be competetive. He responded, telling methat that he was very positive that the '77 Sox would be a good ballclub. Turned out that he was right. I saved that letter, but I haven't been able to locate it for some time. Bummer. He signed it, and now he is a deceased HOF'er.

Steam

early 1970s - 70 or 71

one hit wonders

never question me on music!

The song was an oldie by the time Nancy Faust started playing it in 77. I have the orginal album - the lead singer of Steam did not sing the song, it was a guest vocal - 71 is my best guess for year it came out. Right now I am in Chicago (Glenview) and far from home but if this thread is still around on Sunday night whem I get home, I can post more info.

oh, it wasn't picked by anyone - Nancy started playing it one day at a game as basically a throw away song during the noise/cheering for a home run and it just caught on spontaneously - it really was a thing that came by accident

The name of the song is Kiss Him Goodbye by the way -

smoke on the water? great song but the 60s are over!

If a theme song arises, it will arise just as Kiss Him Goodbye did, not because it was selected but because it catches on

I'd look at every team between us and the World Series championship and sing Ludicris's "Move b****, Get out the way!" :lol: :headbang

The song is officially listed as Kiss Him Goodbye (The Na-Na Hey-Hey Song) and was released by Steam in 1969. One hit wonders, and it was already an oldie when Nancy Faust started playing it as a throw-away song ... it caught on when the Sox got hot that year (1977).

Depends on which record you get. It was also released as Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye (no parentheses). But it is by Steam and released in 1969.

Steam was a group of session musicians who I don't think did more than the one record BTW.

There was also a big hit in 1994 called "Steam" in Europe by a very lame ass boy band called East 17. But that has nothing to do with anything.