Rowand Signs Extension

shakes

eh, i would guess that it's not a decision that could be made before the season starts. assuming we do get iguchi, my guess is rowand gets the nod at the 2 spot at the beginning of the year simply because of team seniority. iguchi will get his chances though, and i would predict he becomes the second batter with rowand number 6. it just seems to make the most sense. i guess if dye is disappointing, he could end up number 5. this is all assuming also that frank will be in the lineup.

You may be right qwerty on the numbers. It's hard thing to do in this league, to hit 30 bombs. We'll see. THis might seem contradictory for me to say, but I'd probably hit Rowand 2 if we don't get the Gooch. I don't like hitting him there, but Wllie and Uribe are worse options. We just don't hat a 2-hole hitter. I guess this is better than a month ago when we didn't have that AND a leadoff hitter. Does anyone know enough about AJ's ability to bunt, hit the other way to suggest he could handle that spot? It's not ideal to have a your 2 guy only playh 80& of trhe games, but is he an option?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
You may be right qwerty on the numbers. It's hard thing to do in this league, to hit 30 bombs. We'll see. THis might seem contradictory for me to say, but I'd probably hit Rowand 2 if we don't get the Gooch. I don't like hitting him there, but Wllie and Uribe are worse options. We just don't hat a 2-hole hitter. I guess this is better than a month ago when we didn't have that AND a leadoff hitter. Does anyone know enough about AJ's ability to bunt, hit the other way to suggest he could handle that spot? It's not ideal to have a your 2 guy only playh 80& of trhe games, but is he an option?

Pierzynski is too slow to be a #2 hitter, and he also GIDP's. He'll be down at #6 or #7 in the lineup most likely.

For all you guys that want to rush guys up to the big leagues because they are tearing it up at AA, here is a fine example of why it pays to let them learn the game in the minors.

Aaron Rowand

2005 Age 27 Salary $2.00 M

2006 Age 28 Salary $3.25 M

2007 Age 29 Salary $3.35 or 5 M

He signed for these numbers because he was only arbitration, and not free agent, eligble. At age 27 he is right at the beginning of his prime. Now, if we bring up Sweeney next year at age 21, by the time he's 27 he will be free agent eligle and able to walk away and play through his prime for another team. This is what happened to Kansas City with Carlos Beltran. Sure they traded him, but I'm sure they'd rather have Beltran locked up for the next 3 years instead of what they received in the trade.

Anyone who doesn't believe A-Row won't work his butt off, read this, and his goals for 2005;

No sooner did the White Sox announce that Aaron Rowand had agreed to a two-year, $5.25 million contract than the outfielder raised the bar for himself.

Rowand said he's aiming to hit at least 30 home runs and to steal 30 bases in 2005, a feat never achieved in team history.

"I won't make any guarantees, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility," Rowand said Friday during SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency. "I won't count it out, especially now that I'll play every day from the start of the season. It's nice to know the organization has made a commitment to me. I'll do everything in my power to live up to it."

Even though Rowand wasn't a regular until two months into last season, he produced 24 homers, 17 stolen bases and 69 RBI in 140 games.

"There's no doubt in my mind Aaron can do it," Sox hitting instructor Greg Walker said. "He took a huge step last year, and he's not content to be average."

Rowand has a $3.25 million option for a third season. Otherwise, the team can renew the contract at $5 million for one season.

The contract isn't likely to spoil Rowand, whose training regimen remains among the most intense around.

The day after the 2004 season ended last October, Rowand began his offseason program in Las Vegas. Five days a week, he spent 2½ hours at a workout facility in the morning and three more hours at the ballpark in the afternoon.

"I've got the itch," Rowand said. "I'm ready to go right now."

The agreement with Rowand left pitcher Luis Vizcaino as the only Sox player eligible for salary arbitration. The Sox hope to sign Vizcaino to a one-year deal before the hearings next month.

I strongly disagree. KW is definitely getting a bargain here.

You are forgetting that Rowand is classified as a CF. That means his price is determined by his D as much as his O.

2M - 2005 : below arbit value

3.25M - 2006 : As long as he's strong D even w a 15HR, 15SB season still below arbit.

3.25M-5.00M - 2007 : The White Sox seemed to have broken new ground with Thomas' contract to where they are applying the same principles to the other players. I've not seen many other teams follow this path.

In any case, if Rowand is still strong D, features a 330+ OBP, & a 500+ SLG 5M is still a bargain.

I still think Dye is KW's best off-season move. A player that once put up MVP numbers for less than the price KW spent on Val or Clayton is a steal.

But this ranks right behind it. Locking Rowand up for 3 yrs at reasonable prices makes good sense. That solidifies our OF for 2 yrs. Enough time for the young prospects to mature & get ready for the CWS.

The CWS is one of the strongest teams when it comes to grooming OFers.

That's a testament to KW both before & after he's become a GM.