Our starting rotation

soxfan420

That seems like a catch-22 there with either sending Stewart or White down. While Stewart is a young up-and-comming starter who could pitch in the pen if needed, and he seems to have good composure, he lacks that experience. And while White has the experience in big games, he doesn't seem to really "have it" just yet. I'd probably send Stewart down simply because of White's previous experience.

Stewart will go down because I'm 99.9% sure that we just can't send White down without him clearing waivers first.

I know that if you've had a certain # of years in the league, you must clear waivers before being sent down to the minors. How does this whole "clearing waivers" thing work, and how long must you have been in the league for this to take effect?

That seems like a catch-22 there with either sending Stewart or White down. While Stewart is a young up-and-comming starter who could pitch in the pen if needed, and he seems to have good composure, he lacks that experience. And while White has the experience in big games, he doesn't seem to really "have it" just yet. I'd probably send Stewart down simply because of White's previous experience.

At least this is a good catch-22. It is always better when you are struggling to decide which player to send down, than which you have to rush up.

Stewart has to be the one sent down. Now we won't be faced with this problem for a little bit more time. I'm assuming Wright is going to make at least one rehab start, maybe two, so we'll likely have Stewart with us for another 2 starts.

Now that is a very good time to evaluate him. If he's still throwing lights out it makes it real difficult. What would the Sox do, I don't know. Heck, maybe they'd do the odd thing and cut Josh Paul (If Olivo is doing good).

Right now its hard to say, but it will be easier as we play another week or 10 days and are closer to having Wright back.

Either way its a good problem. Also right now I'm not worried about White. Just give him some outings in games that the score isn't close to work his stuff back in and then once the curve is back then I'm fully confident. To be honest I'm pretty confident in him right now, but in a tight game I'd rather have Glover, Flash or Marte in. And then of course Koch closing.

Heck, maybe they'd do the odd thing and cut Josh Paul (If Olivo is doing good)

From what I've seen so far from Miguel, I say the Sox should just get rid of Josh and open up that other roster spot for either another pitcher (Danny when he's healthy?) or another position player (Aaron Miles?). Miguel's throwing arm alone makes him worthy of being on a major league team. He's got a f***ing cannon, and we all know he can hit -- it just might take a while for it to come around at the ML level. The only way he will get used to ML pitching is to face it on a regular basis, so I say keep him up (as long as he's throwing out runners and handling the staff well) regardless of his offensive statistics. Besides, with the guys that we have in our lineup, it's not like we rely on our #9 hitter for offense anyway. :D

Heck, maybe they'd do the odd thing and cut Josh Paul (If Olivo is doing good)

From what I've seen so far from Miguel, I say the Sox should just get rid of Josh and open up that other roster spot for either another pitcher (Danny when he's healthy?) or another position player (Aaron Miles?). Miguel's throwing arm alone makes him worthy of being on a major league team. He's got a f***ing cannon, and we all know he can hit -- it just might take a while for it to come around at the ML level. The only way he will get used to ML pitching is to face it on a regular basis, so I say keep him up (as long as he's throwing out runners and handling the staff well) regardless of his offensive statistics. Besides, with the guys that we have in our lineup, it's not like we rely on our #9 hitter for offense anyway. :D

I couldnt agree more.............

If miguel can play at this level....... Josh Paul has no use on this team.

Call me crazy..... and, yes, I know it was only the Tigers..... but if Stewart can pitch like he did on Sunday to the next two or three teams he faces..... he stays in the rotation. Put Wright in the pen and cut Paul..... do something to keep Stewart in the rotation if he continues to dominate like he did on Sunday. You don't replace Stewart with Wright simply because Stewart is filling in for Wright..... especially since Wright is coming off of an injury.

I agree with you Cubkilla. That way Wright slowly moves up, and then if either Loiaza or Stewart sputter, then we have our guy right there ready to go. I'm a huge Wright fan too. I know we'll have him in the rotation very soon and he'll be pitching great for us.

Or....if Stewart continues to pitch well....and we want to get another good starter at the deadline(assuming Loaiza struggles), Wright becomes decent trade bait.

Let a team have their choice of Wright or Rauch.....Rauch being the one with the most potential, but being no where close to it, or take Wright, who is the better pitcher thus far and does actually have pretty good stuff.

I'm hoping for the best....but Murphy's Law always kicks our ass. Something will happen.

I don't know if Rauch has more potential then Wright. I think Wright has pretty fantastic stuff. When I look at Rauch I see good stuff, but not fantastic and that stuff is made better by his frame. He's got a great curve, but he no longer is throwing his slider (Although he's supposed to start throwing it again) and then a solid fastball and a solid change. He needs to develop the change more, stay healthy and get back to throwing his slider (He throws a plus slider) and then work on controlling all of them and he'll be set.

I don't know if Rauch has more potential then Wright.  I think Wright has pretty fantastic stuff.  When I look at Rauch I see good stuff, but not fantastic and that stuff is made better by his frame.  He's got a great curve, but he no longer is throwing his slider (Although he's supposed to start throwing it again) and then a solid fastball and a solid change.  He needs to develop the change more, stay healthy and get back to throwing his slider (He throws a plus slider) and then work on controlling all of them and he'll be set.

Jason, have you seen Rauch pitch? His curve is not even fair. It's like a wiffleball. I think there are much higer hopes for Rauch. He dont throw as hard eventhough he can throw 95 at one time, but he dont have to. He has much better control then wright too. Wright is a hard throwing hillbilly with good movement as far as i'm concerned. :D

I don't know if Rauch has more potential then Wright.  I think Wright has pretty fantastic stuff.  When I look at Rauch I see good stuff, but not fantastic and that stuff is made better by his frame.  He's got a great curve, but he no longer is throwing his slider (Although he's supposed to start throwing it again) and then a solid fastball and a solid change.  He needs to develop the change more, stay healthy and get back to throwing his slider (He throws a plus slider) and then work on controlling all of them and he'll be set.

Jason, have you seen Rauch pitch? His curve is not even fair. It's like a wiffleball. I think there are much higer hopes for Rauch. He dont throw as hard eventhough he can throw 95 at one time, but he dont have to. He has much better control then wright too. Wright is a hard throwing hillbilly with good movement as far as i'm concerned. :D

Ya, his curveball is one of the best out there. It is foul. His slider is also whicked, but he hasn't been throwing it because of his injury but he may of started throwing it in Charlotte, not sure.

I definately like him, but Wright has great "stuff" too. I like Rauch's control a lot though and its one reason I think he will make it.

...and then work on controlling all of them and he'll be set

Isn't that the key though? I am beginning to see the light in that I no longer consder "stuff" to be all that important in evaluating a ML pitcher. Zito, Maddux, Beurhle and Co. have shown time and again that mental toughness, knowledge of hitters, location and mixing up speeds without tipping off is more important than velocity, movement, etc. So, yeah, even Rauch himself admited that he lost it on the mound and need to get "it" back, pronto. With his size and arm/leg span, his fastball will always intimidate hitters even if it's no faster than 93-94. What he does need though is to get control of his change as some of you mentioned already in order to set up his curve without over-relying on it. (Slider which always puts a lot of stress on the arm IMO is a bonus pitch; outside of Pedro, most pitchers can dominate if they can master 3 pitches and slider would be a fourth).

The difference between Jon Rouch the Cy Young and Jon Rauch the Bum is command, command, command as trite as it sounds.

Call me crazy..... and, yes, I know it was only the Tigers..... but if Stewart can pitch like he did on Sunday to the next two or three teams he faces..... he stays in the rotation. Put Wright in the pen and cut Paul..... do something to keep Stewart in the rotation if he continues to dominate like he did on Sunday. You don't replace Stewart with Wright simply because Stewart is filling in for Wright..... especially since Wright is coming off of an injury.

if wright comes back 100%..id move garland to the pen...

Guest hotsoxchick1

if wright comes back 100%..id move garland to the pen...

i dont know i would be all for wright going to the pen for a while coming off injury... im definately all for cutting paul out of the picture though..........

Well if Wright is back 100% then Loaiza or Stewart are the ones that would be moved. No way do I move Garland. I was so impressed watching him throw in spring training that I have pretty much decided he'll finish with an era just under 4.00

We need White in the pen. Some people may not like him but he is a decent pitcher. I say Wright should go down. I know he wont but Stewart earned his spot and until he shows he cant handle it (which might not happen) I have no desire to see him leave...

Based on what you said about Danny Wrights spring training performance in another thread, you should absolutely hate Rick White.