Magglio contract breakdown

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
If I am understanding it right, the last two years are team options.  I think the max they are stuck with is $75 mil.

It isn't optional if he meets some games played or AB goals. I think it's 135 games played the previous year or 270 over the previous two. There is also an AB target. I wonder if walks count in the AB target.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
If I am understanding it right, the last two years are team options.  I think the max they are stuck with is $75 mil.

In addition, Ordonez's salary in each of the option years would become guaranteed if he has 135 starts or 540 plate appearances in the previous season or 270 starts or 1,080 plate appearances in the previous two seasons. If his 2010 salary becomes guaranteed under this provision, it would be at $18 million. The 2011 salary would be $15 million.

The options vest. If he meets those requirements, the options vest. I can't see why the $105 mill couldn't be made while only playing 2 full years.

Tex, that is plate appearances, not AB's. If he has 470 AB's but 70 walks, the options still do vest as he has 540 PA's.

I just wonder if Detroit wouldn't intentionally have him not play during those last two years if he isn't producing well. It wouldn't surprise me, and I actually think it would be the wise thing to do.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
The options vest.  If he meets those requirements, the options vest.  I can't see why the $105 mill couldn't be made while only playing 2 full years.

Tex, that is plate appearances, not AB's.  If he has 470 AB's but 70 walks, the options still do vest as he has 540 PA's.

I just wonder if Detroit wouldn't intentionally have him not play during those last two years if he isn't producing well.  It wouldn't surprise me, and I actually think it would be the wise thing to do.

That (not playing him) was mentioned on one of the Tiger's boards. The downside for the team is they loose credibility with other players if they want to include incentives for other players. One homerun short of $500,000 and worry about getting benched. The only way these incentives work is both sides need to be fair.

I doubt he'll see years 6 and 7.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
That (not playing him) was mentioned on one of the Tiger's boards. The downside for the team is they loose credibility with other players if they want to include incentives for other players. One homerun short of $500,000 and worry about getting benched.  The only way these incentives work is both sides need to be fair.

I doubt he'll see years 6 and 7.

Losing what little credibility they have would hurt them a lot.

I don't think he'll see 6 or 7 either. I think there's a good chance he won't see 2, 3, 4, or 5 either.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Losing what little credibility they have would hurt them a lot.

I don't think he'll see 6 or 7 either.  I think there's a good chance he won't see 2, 3, 4, or 5 either.

I think he plays 2-4 or 5. He may be spending some quality time as DH, which isn't so bad. Baines enjoyed a nice long career after he couldn't play the field so well.

There's something missing in the details that someone commented on in the details written in a Det paper. The 25 gm dl due to knee condition clause exists for every year of the contract after 05. The 05 bonus is really an 06 bonus. It receives it in Nov only if the Tigs decide to retain him.

What it basically means is that Det has greatly lowered their risk due to this knee condition over the entire length of the contract. At the same time they have a full year to evaluate him. If they feel his knee his not up to snuff you can bet for sure they will sit him on that basis to escape the contract. They will have that control & that option in every year of the contract. That's a pretty clever clause & very clever contract. They risk only 6M to see if a near lock for 30/100/300 man can still play.