Gambling on sports

Other than going to Vegas, is there a way to put money on the Sox to win the division or the world series? I've heard about out of country sites. Has anyone used them? Are they safe? Are they legal? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd just like to put a few bucks down and I don't want to go to Vegas.

Thanks

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
I use ********* Are you sure knightni? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I know lots that bet with that site

It is definitely illegal to gamble in the US. Enforcement is next to impossible, so it goes on. I am amazed that they allow advertisements to be aired.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 06:35 AM)
It is definitely illegal to gamble in the US. Enforcement is next to impossible, so it goes on. I am amazed that they allow advertisements to be aired.

I was reading an article that the government is trying to stop advertising from those sites (I think it was in Business Week, way too lazy to look it up right now). They sent one of the major publishers a notice or something telling them that if they continue running ads for online gaming/gambling sights that major litigation would follow. Basically they dropped the ads because it would cost them a ton more in court win or lose than they would gain in advertising. Online gambling is definitely illegal in the U.S. Another reason that these sights are so prominent is that the U.S. can't really do anything about the sites that are out of the country. The article mentioned that they were trying to make life for any U.S. citizens involved with running them miserable, and trying to stop U.S. residents from using them. However, the latter is extremely difficult to enforce, and the former only gets you so far. Look at music downloading as an example. There are reputable sites that can be trusted, but know that it is definitely against the law unless you go to Vegas. Look in the ESPN article about Super Bowl bets (probably in the page 2 section on the main page) for suggestions on where to place bets at.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
I use ********** Are you sure knightni? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I know lots that bet with that site

This is the site I use. Their service/payment has been great.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
Thanks everyone.  Has anyone heard of any problems giving credit card number to ***********?  What if I win a ton of cash?  :headbang  How would taxes be handled?  Just curious of course.  Sox are 4.5 to 1 to win the division there.

Besides myself, I know at least 5 other people that use that site and have never heard anything about CC problems.

I've never won a ton of money on there, but I'd guess they probably have something on the site regarding taxes. If not, e-mail them.

Edited by southsider2k5

Hey guys quick request here. Gambling is illegal and we at Soxtalk want nothing to do with it. You all can talk about it if you like, but please don't post any links to any sites here. We don't want to be seen as promoting any illegal activity. If you want to contact each other privately, that is up to you.

Thanks.

Mike

PS, I am going to remove the specific site references from people's posts.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Hey guys quick request here.  Gambling is illegal and we at Soxtalk want nothing to do with it.  You all can talk about it if you like, but please don't post any links to any sites here.  We don't want to be seen as promoting any illegal activity.  If you want to contact each other privately, that is up to you.

Thanks.

Mike

PS, I am going to remove the specific site references from people's posts.

Sorry, I'll make sure not to mention it on here again.