Oscar Thread...

bjm676

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
Eastwood pulled the plug on Hillary Swank’s character when the nurses weren’t around. I remember correctly that they were going out for lunch so at that same time Eastwood’s character injected her, meaning no one was around to hear any alarm of some sort.

... and there goes Eastwood with the Oscar.  :headbang

(saw it Friday night) One Nurse Says to the other nurse, "I'm going for coffee" meaning that the there was a nurse at the nursing station. Plus, how did Eastwood AND Freeman get into the building without being checked in by security?? And once Maggie is discovered WITH HER AIRHOLE UNDONE AND THE MACHINE TURNED OFF why aren't the cops alerted??

as for Maggie giving up? any thoughts on that?

very disappointing movie.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
furthermore, what message does this send to (if he were still alive) Christopher Reeves? more importantly to his family? his accident was some 10 years ago, and all that time he had with his family instead of giving up like Maggie did?

As far as I know, this film was not intended to send any message to Reeve’s family. Let’s not forget that this film (Million Dollar Baby) is fictional. Plus, Swank’s character came into the world suffering and left it suffering as well. That’s all there is to it.

... and there goes Eastwood again. :headbang

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
As far as I know, this film was not intended to send any message to Reeve’s family. Let’s not forget that this film (Million Dollar Baby) is fictional. Plus, Swank’s character came into the world suffering and left it suffering as well. That’s all there is to it.

... and there goes Eastwood again.  :headbang

just curious, but are you under the age 25?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
just curious, but are you under the age 25?

Does my age have anything to do with the conversation we’re having?

BTW, check people’s profiles if you’re curious about age and all that stuff...

Hey guys,

A LOT of people on hear probably haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, so lets not give the ending away.

Can we reflect the fact that there are spoilers or put a warning of some kind?? Perhaps edit previous posts??

I was glad to see Million Dollar Baby win all that it did, I really enjoyed Sideways and Ray also.

...Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby... pretty good portfolio going for Mr. Eastwood :)

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
Does my age have anything to do with the conversation we’re having?

yes. It's called comprehension. I don't think you're less of a person for being younger, I just don't think you most likely have the life experience to grasp the depth of that movie. You're 15 at best, and am glad that you go out and see movies, but don't just jump on the hollywood bandwagon of "critically acclaimed" films.

I just felt it was offensive to anyone who fought for and clung to life despite being at perilous odds. The movie was inconsistent with its characters and very contrived at points.

(the 62 year old man knocking out the 30 year old bruiser boxer guy)

(waiting til the last second to tell Maggie what Meschulaza, (lol, sp??) means...not to mention the 1.5 years that goes by and No one happens to mention to Maggie what it means)

(the unrealistic redneck family characature of orges)

(the blue bear boxer winning the fight, despite the referees warning of DQ...not to mention the fact that hockey players get charged with assualt in cases of malicious hits on each other...The woman boxer would have gone to jail)

synopsis: The movie was flawed, inconsistent, and left the audiance with nothing at the end.

it was disappointing.

edit: Sorry for the spoilers...I won't say I told you so when you get let down when you see it.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
edit: Sorry for the spoilers...I won't say I told you so when you get let down when you see it.

1. You asked him if he's under 25, and going by your profile, you are UNDER 25 also

2. How about going back and editing your posts, just because YOU didn't think it was good, doesn't mean you should ruin it for everyone else.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
yes. It's called comprehension. I don't think you're less of a person for being younger, I just don't think you most likely have the life experience to grasp the depth of that movie. You're 15 at best, and am glad that you go out and see movies, but don't just jump on the hollywood bandwagon of "critically acclaimed" films.

Um, are you 25 yet?

And just because he doesn't like the same movies as your doesn't mean he's jumping on a bandwagon.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
(saw it Friday night) One Nurse Says to the other nurse, "I'm going for coffee" meaning that the there was a nurse at the nursing station. Plus, how did Eastwood AND Freeman get into the building without being checked in by security?? And once Maggie is discovered WITH HER AIRHOLE UNDONE AND THE MACHINE TURNED OFF why aren't the cops alerted??

as for Maggie giving up? any thoughts on that?

very disappointing movie.

I think you need to suspend disbelief. Anyone who looks this far into things needs to get a grip.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
1.  You asked him if he's under 25, and going by your profile, you are UNDER 25 also

2.  How about going back and editing your posts, just because YOU didn't think it was good, doesn't mean you should ruin it for everyone else.

I'm 25 in mere months...semantics young padawin.

and here comes the hippie onslaught.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Um, are you 25 yet?

And just because he doesn't like the same movies as your doesn't mean he's jumping on a bandwagon.

yes, thanks.

I said that he doesn't have the life experience to get why that movie was junk.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
I think you need to suspend disbelief. Anyone who looks this far into things needs to get a grip.

This was a drama, not an action movie. It's not that I can't suspend disbelief, it's just that I refuse to do it 5-6 times in a supposed "best picture".

And I'm sorry that you've got your floaties on...the deep end of the pool is just where I like to swim.

Scorsese was screwed. Again. They really must have it out for him.

Haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, I've heard mixed things about it, but after winning best supporting actor, best actress, and best director you had to expect it to win Best Picture. Logically, it makes sense.

The Scorsese thing is the only thing that is bothering me about this year's Oscars, other than that it was a decent show and moved rather quickly.

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
I guess if younger people use big words, that makes em more mature?

no older people can be stupid too...besides, I said it was about comprehension, not bigs words. If you can't analyze a movie and see it for what it's worth, then what's the point? I thought the first 2/3rds were quite good, however, the movie took a turn for the clear point to invoke false emotions. The actions of the characters were inconsistent with the characters themselves.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
How you guys think chris rock did tonight?

I thought he was great, especially his openning monologue. I thought his self-deprecating humor was great. The sending Cuba Gooding Jr an $80 check after he saw boat trip and then CGJ sending him an $80 check after seeing Pootey-Tang was hilarious. I laughed outloud alot.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Scorese was screwed. Again. They really must have it out for him.

Haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, I've heard mixed things about it, but after winning best supporting actor, best actress, and best director you had to expect it to win Best Picture.  Logically, it makes sense.

The Scorese thing is the only thing that is bothering me about this year's Oscars, other than that it was a decent show and moved rather quickly.

I guess my deal is that in a year that lacked a clear winner, I thought that they could have spread the awards out more (I know that's nearly impossible to do) but I think Swank (winslet or benning?) was just as good as the other ladies and MDB was not Eastwood's best directorship (definitely scorsese), likewise, MDB's best picture should have gone to (aviator or finding neverland)

Foxx for Ray and Freeman for MDB worked for me, because there were both really solid in their roles. (Depp for actor or Alan Alda for supporting could have worked for me)

I just didn't think there was a clear winner in any area, and that should have been reflected in the spread out awards between the films.

The Oscars shouldn't be about who deserves to win because of their body of work or about spreading the winners over a bunch of movies. The Oscars should be about a group of movie 'experts' who make their one choice in every category on whatever basis they chose, trusting that the honor of being in the academy would negate the basis being a stupid one. :)