Willie to Milwaukee rumor

WHarris1

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
out of curiousity whats the point of that info... all that matters is major league production... and spod beats willie there anyday

Well since it was in response to the ability to TEACH the SB.... It seems to me that good ole Scotty Pod had to have time to develop. He didn't steal more than 30 bases until he was 26, and that was for the Tacoma Rainer's.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
out of curiousity whats the point of that info... all that matters is major league production... and spod beats willie there anyday

The battle-lines have clearly been drawn on the issue of Willie Harris.

Some are for; others, against.

I just can't wait for his ass to be traded and move on from this little punk.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Well since it was in response to the ability to TEACH the SB.... It seems to me that good ole Scotty Pod had to have time to develop. He didn't steal more than 30 bases until he was 26, and that was for the Tacoma Rainer's.

but i figure that at least pods HAS developed... whereas... well, as we were shown today, willie still cant steal.

(Addy diggin the sig.... nice picture... ;) )

For not being able to steal he sure led the Sox in that category not even playing full time.

::Shrugs::

So when Pods get cs 1 time we are going to say he cant steal?

There are no battle lines either, there are some fans who can see that while Harris may not be the best 2b in the league, that he is very cheap, and has shown that he will hit around .270, has speed, great defensively, and hustles does the right thing on the field.

There are other fans who beleive that Iguchi having played 0 real games will come in and dominate, therefore leaving no need for Harris.

In my opinion, until Iguchi does something to make Harris expendable, Harris can not be traded unless we are getting back some one who can play SS/2b at a higher level than Harris.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
There are no battle lines either, there are some fans who can see that while Harris may not be the best 2b in the league, that he is very cheap, and has shown that he will hit around .270, has speed, great defensively, and hustles does the right thing on the field.

There are other fans who beleive that Iguchi having played 0 real games will come in and dominate, therefore leaving no need for Harris.

Hey, I'm a Harris fan, but those sure sound like battle lines to me... ;)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
For not being able to steal he sure led the Sox in that category not even playing full time.

::Shrugs::

So when Pods get cs 1 time we are going to say he cant steal?

In my opinion, until Iguchi does something to make Harris expendable, Harris can not be traded unless we are getting back some one who can play SS/2b at a higher level than Harris.

SB

Aaron Rowand had 17 SB in 2004. Willie Harris had 19 SB. The fleet-footed Willie Harris had 19 f'ing SB in 2004; nothing to be proud of.

Don't even tell me that's not disappointing.

His base-stealing form and knowledge on the bases have been criticized by everyone. Please. The dude is so tentative on the base paths it's not even funny. It's painful to watch him attempt to steal a base.

Let's see the "magic" Rock can work with him.

He was tentative last year.

This year spring training steals on first attempt.

Then b****ed at by same Sox fans for being aggressive.

Either you complain about him being tentative, or you complain about him being aggressive.

And unlike you, I blame the MANAGER for the fact he did not get Harris to steal more bases.

Ozzie can force Harris to steal whenever he wants.

And sorry, the whole Harris has the green light is a bulls*** cop out by Guillen. Harris was pretty much a rookie last year, unlike a Pods he cant get caught stealing to many bases because he will be benched. Therefore he is more tentative because otherwise people will complain when hes caught stealing.

Rickey Henderson only had 33 sb's his first year, Lou Brock only stole 16 his first and 24 his second.

But these guys suck, they are way to tentative.

I dont know why people think that when a player gets to the MLB, they will instantly be the best at everything. It takes time to develop techniques, to get adjusted to the pitchers and catchers, to get their timing down.

SB

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
Aaron Rowand had 17 SB in 2004.  Willie Harris had 19 SB.  The fleet-footed Willie Harris had 19 f'ing SB in 2004; nothing to be proud of.

Don't even tell me that's not disappointing.

His base-stealing form and knowledge on the bases have been criticized by everyone.  Please.  The dude is so tentative on the base paths it's not even funny.  It's painful to watch him attempt to steal a base.

Let's see the "magic" Rock can work with him.

He hasn't been great, but this is more than a little selective. The vaunted leadoff duo of Pierre and Castillo had 45 and 21 sb last year, in a LOT more pa. (And Pierre's % was awful.) Looking at his success rate (73%), and the total number of steals, I'd say he could probably improve, but he's no disaster at stealing bases.

Personally I have weighed in enough on this topic so I will refrain, but one thing to remember from today's game is Podsednik knows Russ Ortiz's tendancies and pickoff moves, while Harris does not.

Plus it's a spring training game and if there's a chance to test things out, now is the time.

Later in the month I would be slightly more concerned about getting picked off but it is certainly not a major indictment that Harris got picked off. To be honest I was happy he was running. Sometimes getting picked off or thrown out stealing is the way it goes. That's part of aggressiveness.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Personally I have weighed in enough on this topic so I will refrain, but one thing to remember from today's game is Podsednik knows Russ Ortiz's tendancies and pickoff moves, while Harris does not.

Plus it's a spring training game and if there's a chance to test things out, now is the time.

Later in the month I would be slightly more concerned about getting picked off but it is certainly not a major indictment that Harris got picked off.  To be honest I was happy he was running.  Sometimes getting picked off or thrown out stealing is the way it goes.  That's part of aggressiveness.

Why is it that when uribe got picked off only a couple people complained? He is by far our worst base runner on the team in my opinion and to top it off he got picked off at second. There is no excuse at all for getting picked off at second f***ing base. Willie may be tenative but seems to me when he is on the base he does n ot get stuck in stupid pickles like uribe.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
I can't wait to hear this one.

Please.  Explain.

How many runs did Pods SB's in the past two days lead to?

For stealing 70 SB's last season he only scored 85 runs. What a joke. They don't mean s***.

Gimme a guy who can get on base more often, and doesn't give away outs by getting thrown out. They turn the the line-up over and give the team more opportunities than a low OBP his steals guy.

Uribe hasnt had the same amount of negative press that Harris has.

Its peculiar the way the Sox treat their under contract players, usually teams talk up players in the press, but the Sox seem to think that talking bad about their young players will make them better.

Last year Uribe was caught stealing more times than he successfully stole. We just have to pray that Uribe's last year was real improvement, not a statistical anomaly. Because his previous stats are far worse than Harris.

32bb /90ks generally is not a good trend, sadly its an improvement over his first year of 34/120.

Also I think that alot of people are in the, "If we dont say bad things than they wont be true."

Uribe is as big of a question mark as Harris imo.

SB

Why is it that when uribe got picked off only a couple pe ple complained? He is by far our worst base runner on the team in my opinion and to top it off he got picked off at second. There is no excuse at all for getting picked off at second f***ing base. Willie may be tenative but seems to me when he is on the base he does n ot get stuck in stupid pickles like uribe.

I can't answer your question but I agree it was a bonehead play on Uribe's part.

In fact there probably is no answer to your question. Fans have favorite players who they'll give the benefit of the doubt to ... and often will go out of their way to give them that benefit.

Other players, they just don't like and will point out everything that player does wrong. I suspect we are all guilty of that ... sometimes to validate our opinion or to reinforce our viewpoint.

There is a certain level of "unfair" about that, but it's part of being a fan.

All I know is, after listening to today's game, wow would I love to pry Alex Cintron away from the Diamondbacks. Simply put, that kid can play the game. My dad has watched him play quite a bit since he lives in the Phoenix area and he is not effusive with praise at all ... he says Cintron is "a talent".

Id love Cintron at this point, but I just do not think he is a reasonable goal. We will have to pay an arm and a leg for a guy that is going to be a back up / super sub.

Unless a team comes along willing to give away a utility fielder, the prices will just be to high for what plans we have for them.

SB

Uribe is as big of a question mark as Harris imo.

You are right, there is no other way to put it.

That is why a few people on this site were beating the drum for an experienced guy to be brought in as a backup SS ... someone who could potentially start 90 games if necessary, for whatever reason.

Given their current personnel, the White Sox are awfully thin at middle infield, although I was positively impressed with Pablo Ozuna today. Which means nothing come to think of it :lol:

How many runs did Pods SB's in the past two days lead to?

For stealing 70 SB's last season he only scored 85 runs.  What a joke.  They don't mean s***. 

Gimme a guy who can get on base more often, and doesn't give away outs by getting thrown out.  They turn the the line-up over and give the team more opportunities than a low OBP his steals guy.

Look who was hitting behind Spods as well.. Its not all his fault that he only was driven in 85 times...

I think Cheat is trying to get at the fact that Harris only had 17 less runs in 240 ab's because he had a higher OBP, which meant he was on base more times to be knocked in.

If Pods does not drastically improve his obp, ba, there is a good chance that Harris in a full season could outproduce him in almost every category except for sb and hr.

SB

I think Cheat is trying to get at the fact that Harris only had 17 less runs in 240 ab's because he had a higher OBP, which meant he was on base more times to be knocked in.

If Pods does not drastically improve his obp, ba, there is a good chance that Harris in a full season could outproduce him in almost every category except for sb and hr.

SB

Based on his approach thus far Podsednik has gotten the message.

A couple of bunt singles, line drive single up the middle, ground single to right.

Let's hope he keeps that up.

SB

My point was, He had no one really to drive him in on a constant basis...Jenkins had 93 RBI the next closest person is Overbay with 87 then a huge drop off.. to 60..

Comapred to the Sox Who had Pauly with 114 Then Lee with 99 Then Uribe and the middle of the pack getting 70's.. That is a huge difference.

Pods has so far been great, and I personally think that if he gets over hitting HR's and tries to be an Ichiro type player that he will hit near .300.

Had he hit .300 last year here is how his numbers would of changed;

192 hits (+36), 100 r (+15), and 80 sb (+10)

These are the type of numbers that we traded for.

Between Rowand and Harris our lead off hitter

Rowand (163ab):

31r 52h .319avg

Harris (337ab):

50r 89h .264avg

Uribe (97ab):

16r 28h .289avg

If Pods puts up the same numbers as last year, we might as well have kept Lee because we already had a tandem that could put up similar numbers.

SB