Those Who Pledge Abstinence

LowerCaseRepublican

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/03/18/virgi...s.ap/index.html

The report by Yale and Columbia University researchers could help explain their earlier findings that teens who pledged abstinence are just as likely to have STDs as their peers.

The latest study, published in the April issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health, found that teens pledging virginity until marriage are more likely to have oral and anal sex than other teens who have not had intercourse. That behavior, however, "puts you at risk," said Hannah Brueckner, assistant professor of sociology at Yale and one of the study's authors.

Among virgins, boys who have pledged abstinence were four times more likely to have had anal sex than teens who have remained abstinent but not as part of a pledge, according to the study. Overall, pledgers were six times more likely to have oral sex.

None of the people in the study were ever mentioned to have taken a pledge of abstinence. That's why the study is bogus.

In general none of these studies link educational acheivement (grades) to the interviews. It's a well known fact that kids in suburban schools get better grades than kids in urban schools. Generally speaking of course. I would like to see a study that breaks down actiivity along the lines of grades.

It seems pretty easy to do. Just ask them what their grades are like during the interview process. These interviewers are suppose to be skilled enough to weed out lies so they should be able ot obtain reasonable data there. Then we can get a better idea of how education plays a role in the process.

This was also I might add a big part of of the problem with Kinsey's data.

He never categorized his data with the IQ levels of those being interviewed. We have a good idea of what the national IQ level is & we have a good idea of how that breaks down per profession & locality. This would have been a good barometer for an indicator of how well these samples represent the nation as a whole.

The desire for political correctness should never taint science.

Wow, this is rich, or I must be misunderstanding the article..

First of all, if you're engaging in any form of sexual activity (with another) person, guess what? YOU'RE DOING IT, PERIOD.

Second of all, are there really girls out there who will not engage in vaginal intercourse, but will do anal instead?............and afterward they will still consider themselves virgins? That same woman will climb into bed with her husband on her wedding night and claim she's pure? Hilarious.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Wow, this is rich, or I must be misunderstanding the article..

First of all, if you're engaging in any form of sexual activity (with another) person, guess what? YOU'RE DOING IT, PERIOD. 

Second of all, are there really girls out there who will not engage in vaginal intercourse, but will do anal instead?............and afterward they will still consider themselves virgins? That same woman will climb into bed with her husband on her wedding night and claim she's pure? Hilarious.

I knew someone in college who had anal sex with her boyfriend and still considered herself a virgin.

And isn't the "in through the out door" style considered the most "taboo" act you can engage in? Well, between TWO OPPOSITE SEX PEOPLE, I mean. I'm sure your "morally correct" and your "religious" folk will find other things more evil, but wasn't that style the "final frontier"?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nw...s-campus21.html

This sort of explains how emotions over rule logic in colleges today.

The most alarming of course is the hooking up without the emphasis on safe-sex. A college student should know better whether s/he was taught in high school or not. It's not to much to expect them to research the subject of STD's on their own.

But it's not to hard to figure out why condom's aren't very important

during the hook-ups. They are stone-F'g-drunk when the act occurs!

Apparently they desire to reach that state so they can blame the booze &

not themselves for their actions.

If you're a girl & get date raped or laid while stone drunk you can still retain your honor, but if you do it while your sober you're a slut.

So I guess sluts don't drink :D

I'm sorry. I know it's not funny. It's very sad. A morbid sense of morality born out of a society with decaying morals.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Seems some people still aren't too sure what the definition of "is" is.

They must all be Democrats

Had this same converstation back in the mid 90's (prior to the Clinton thing) with a starch Republican girlfriend of mine. She actually agreed with the Clinton theory, although later on she denied it....double standard perhaps???

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
The unsafe aspect of all of this is disturbing.  I have several friends who sleep with whoever, and don't use condoms.  It makes me glad I'm in a long term relationship.

I guess those are called "sexfriends". :rolly