Buffalo, NY: America's second armpit!

BridgeportHeather

After going to Niagara Falls this afternoon, we decided to go over the border into Buffalo, NY, to eat genuine Buffalo wings. Talk about s***ty cities, Buffalo has to rank up there with Detroit as places who have no reason to possess a single ounce of civic pride!

Even in broad daylight, which it was pretty sunny out today, the entire city looked very dingy, even the downtown area. The skyline is nothing to write home about at all! Hell, even Peoria, IL, could appear to be a more happening city than Buffalo is!!!

Anyone else been to Buffalo, and what are your experiences?

I live in nearby Rochester and yeah, you're right, buffalo sucks (except for buffalo '66 a great movie set in buffalo). There's about an 1/8 mile stretch of one street that's tolerable. When the steel industry left in the late 70's/early 80's, the town turned into a deserted industrial s***hole. And yet they have a subway system.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
All of upstate NY has seen better times.

The only place i've stayed recentley in upstate NY is Lake George (Warren County). It's beatiful the whole area (Bolton Landing, Diamoind Point, and Glenns Falls) , just wish the water was warmer. So many things to do up there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
When Manchester College made the Division 3 Final Four in basketball, it was in Buffalo NY.  And you are right, Buffalo reminded me of a big Detroit.  I also was through there on the way to Niagra.  Lets just say Buffalo isn't on my return visits list.

Buffalo would be by definition a "little" Detroit.

However, I would definitely say that the home of the Bills is head and shoulders above Flint, Michigan, Gary, Indiana and Newark, New Jersey.

I went there for a football game years ago... don't really recall it being any worse than some other places I've been. I tend to go places for specific reasons, so I wasn't expecting anything other than seeing the game. I know people who go on vacation to places with no real idea of what they are going to see or do. I never really understood that concept..

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
All of upstate NY has seen better times.

But, I think that Rochester is worse than Buffalo. Sorry maggliopipe.

I buzzed by here tonight and couldn't help but post in this thread--I'm from Rochester, spent the first 18 years of my life there.

Rochester proper is an aging city with no new development going on, but it has its share of charms outside of downtown. The lakefront, Charlotte, High Falls and Park Avenue are all scenic and fun to check out. The suburbs of Rochester are for the most part pretty posh and have excellent schools. But there's a reason I'm "from" there and don't live there anymore...

Buffalo has some cool old buildings (their city hall is a great example of Art Deco), but it's pretty much dead outside of the bars on Elmwood or up near UB. Hope you went to the Anchor Bar for your wings, Heather.

Edited by whitesoxwilkes