Unfair trade?

QUOTE(supernuke @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Thats about what I thought and it was the other guy who offered me Blalock.

Pedro was damn near Top 10 in the majors last year in WHIP for starters at 1.17. He's going from a hitter's paradise to a pitcher's paradise.

Consider this a blessing in disguise.

If you can afford to just trade Pedro like that, I'm assuming that you have other stud starting pitchers?

If healthy, he's a shoe-in for Top 10 in wins, strikeouts, and WHIP. Maybe even ERA.

I'm surprised at the feedback in this thread, BTW.

Blalock is good, but I dunno if 1 HR per 20 ABs and a .275 average can even come close to f***ing with a hall of fame pitcher in a pitcher's paradise. I'm just sayin'.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Frankly I am worried about two things.  #1 the New York Mets factor... everyone who goes there falls into some kind of a preformance blackhole, and #2 all of the injury problems, plus the rumors about shoulder surgery being needed at anytime.

I hear you, but the starting pitchers that they've acquired in recent years have been either over the hill, over-achievers in previous years, or just flat out bad. Just to name a few: Tom Glavine, Al Leiter, Steve Trachsel, Pedro Astacio, Mike Hampton, Hideo Nomo, etc.

They haven't really had a kick-ass pitcher like Pedro in close to 15 years now (when Doc Gooden and David Cone were still doing their thing).

As far as offensive players go, again, they go after guys (by and large) who are over the hill, over-achievers in previous years, or just plain awful. Just to name a few: Mo Vaughn, Roger Cedeno, Robbie Alomar, Jeromy Burnitz, Richard Hidalgo, Cliff Floyd, etc.

A stupid franchise, for sure.

As far as injuries are concerned, you have a point, although he has started 29 or more games per year in 9 of the past 10 years. His offseason training habits are legendary. He's still only 33 years old. I think that he'll be fine, although you never know nowadays.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 25, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
Pedro+national league= sub 3.25 era with an awesome whip. This is if he does not get injured of course.

1997-1.90-1 (w/ Montreal)

1998-2.89-2

1999-2.07-1

2000-1.74-1

2002-2.26-1

2003-2.22-1

2004-3.90-9

He finally had an off-year, and all of a sudden, Hank Blalock is perceived as the more valuable player? Hmmm. I'll go with the guy who has won 5 ERA titles in the past 7 years, and easily a Top 10 starter in the history of major league baseball.