Ewing won't be with IU anymore

I was just going to post it. There were rumors of this for quite some time now. How did you find that link, lol. That's the morning paper, in my hometown.

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...bk03-30-05.html

Ewing To Leave IU Program

Bloomington, Ind. - Indiana sophomore forward Pat Ewing, Jr., has left the Hoosier program and will transfer to another institution at the end of the 2004-05 academic year, IU coach Mike Davis announced today.

A 6-8, 215-pound forward, Ewing started five of the 29 games in which he played as a sophomore. His 4.0 points and 3.8 rebounds per game average included season and career-highs of 15 points against Minnesota on Feb. 12, 2005. He grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds in two games as a freshman in 2003-04, a year in which the Marietta, Ga., native posted 2.8 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.

Despite Ewing’s departure, Indiana returns 2005 Big Ten Freshman of the Year D.J. White and Sean Kline and welcomes the addition of 6-7, 265-pound Auburn transfer Marco Killingsworth and 6-10 freshman Ben Allen next season.

Ewing, the son of former NBA All-Star center and current Houston Rocket coach Patrick Ewing, Sr., said that while he appreciates the opportunity he was given at Indiana, he would like to pursue other options where he can earn more playing time.

“I would like to thank Coach Davis for the chance to play at a storied program like Indiana, and I appreciate how Coach Davis and the other coaches worked with me both on and off the court,” Ewing, Jr., said. “I’ve spent a lot of time with my family and given this decision a lot of thought, and I feel it is in my best interests to pursue my education and basketball career at another school.”

Davis understands and supports Ewing’s decision.

“Pat is an exceptional athlete with a lot of potential, and we’re disappointed to see him go,” Davis said. “We wish him nothing but the best.”

Coach Davis considers this matter concluded and will have no further comment.

Ha I was going to say. I'm going to miss Ewing, but I understand the move. He was probably going to lose a lot of playing time with Ben Allen, Lucas Steijn, and Killingsworth all getting PT. Ewing was probably my 2nd favorite player on this team, and I wish him the best. I hope he does well where ever he ends up.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
You think he might go to his dad's alma mater, Georgetown?

This is what his mom said in an IndyStar article:

Asked if Georgetown was a possibility, the school where NBA great Patrick Ewing -- the younger Ewing's father -- went to college, Campbell didn't hesitate.

"I don't ever think Georgetown is not a possibility," Campbell said.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/233165-5637-094.html

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../504210458/1069

Ewing Georgetown bound

Indiana player will transfer to his father's alma mater, dad tells Houston TV station.

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Pat Ewing Jr. is headed for his father's alma mater, according to a broadcast report.

NBA great Patrick Ewing told Houston television station KRIV on Wednesday that his son will transfer from Indiana to Georgetown.

"My son chose Georgetown," Ewing said. "He was also considering Miami and North Carolina.

"I'm excited. It's a great place for him to be and not just because I went there. The coaches love him and want him to play for them."

The younger Ewing said in March that he planned to transfer. A 6-8, 215-pound forward, Ewing started five of the 29 games in which he played last season, averaging 4.0 points and 3.8 rebounds a game during Indiana's 15-14 season.

Patrick Ewing, an assistant coach for the Houston Rockets, said he isn't worried about his son having to deal with the pressure of following in his footsteps at Georgetown.

"He has had to live and play with my name all of his life," the coach said.

Pat Ewing Jr. will have to sit out the 2005-06 season.