Jerry Manuel always...

SoxFan1

Everytime I see them get a pic of him roaming the dugout, he looks stoned as a mothertrucker! No wonder he can't manage, hes always high! Anyways, I like Manuel, he can make some good and bad decisions. But hey, he benched Paulie and Aaron while they were slumping. I say we should keep him. It will pay off. I think! :huh:

I don't think he necessarily looks stoned. However, I do think he looks like he has a clueless look on his face like he doesn't know what the hell he's going to do next. Perhaps that's because he doesn't know what he's doing.

I disagree. He is a decent manager. He won Manager of the Year, remember!

The 2000 team won manager of the year.......Jerry was occupying the position at the time so he was awarded it.

I couldn't agree more. The way we played that season, anyone could have been manager. Everything clicked on the field and IMO, it had nothing to do with what JM was doing as manager.

I disagree.

Pitching, you had Eldred for 1/2 a season, and Baldwin, Parque, and Sirotka (who has never pitched again). Manuel had something to do with the success of 2000 to manuever that pitching staff to 95 wins.

It is unfair to give one person all of the balme for everything that you don't like but no credit when succes is achieved.

Everyone will complain about him endlessly for everything else but he should get his proper respect for 2000.

Jerry is simply a laid back, casual guy.

He is a devout Christian and sometimes people read that as being soft or too conservative. I like that approach in a MLB manager Lou Pinella hes not and thank goodness.

I will take JM any day of the week over most of the managers in MLB.

Here are his records as a Manager:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers...manueje01.shtml

Comments on the link, great link!

How come we only played 161 in 99'?

Manuel had had 3-5 seasons winning seasons!

A .512 WINNING PERCENTAGE IS REALLY GOOD!

Never finished worse than 3rd in the division!

414-395 combined record!

1 Division title.

That is a great resume. The numbers prove JM is not a bad manager!

Comments on the link, great link!

How come we only played 161 in 99'?

Manuel had had 3-5 seasons winning seasons!

A .512 WINNING PERCENTAGE IS REALLY GOOD!

Never finished worse than 3rd in the division!

414-395 combined record!

1 Division title.

That is a great resume. The numbers prove JM is not a bad manager!

out of those 5 years, how many have we overachieved, and how many have we underacheived. that is the true mark of a good manager. Not the crap about oh you shouldn't have put that pitcher in... it is the results on the field. And with the talent that has been provided Manuel he should have been better than he has done.

Take out 2000 annd he doesn't make .500

I'm sorry you can be a devoted Christian and it doesn't mean you gotta be cluless. Sometimes fired up managers work just look at Tampa, Even tho there's going to be bad this season they have played well against Boston Ny anbd others.

I dont know why some Sox fans have a false sense of what our team is.

Of course we all want them to win every game, folks its not going to happen.

Also, if you dont think we majorily overachieved in 2000 then your very wrong. We had no business winning 95 games.

Give JM the credit for that and the credit for keeping this team above water when the talent has been slim and the pitching staff has been far from pleasant to the eye.

Still, its not his fault the players werent playing up to expectations!

Doesn't player motivation fall under the realm of the manager? To the main extent how a player plays is up to the manager, but good managers have the ability to get players to reach higher levels than they would on their own. Look at what Mike Scocia got out of the Angels last year. Look at the job Tom Kelly did with terrible teams in Minnesota, also the Montreal teams that were young and overmatched of years past.

We chronically have underachieved under the tenure of Jerry Manuel, dispite frequent changes to improve talent.

Doesn't player motivation fall under the realm of the manager? To the main extent how a player plays is up to the manager, but good managers have the ability to get players to reach higher levels than they would on their own. Look at what Mike Scocia got out of the Angels last year. Look at the job Tom Kelly did with terrible teams in Minnesota, also the Montreal teams that were young and overmatched of years past.

We chronically have underachieved under the tenure of Jerry Manuel, dispite frequent changes to improve talent.

If a player has to be motivated to go out there and do his job then I dont want him on our team.

Yes the manager should help lead the team, motivation for player performance is a seperate issue.

Let me try that again so it makes sense...

To the main extent how a player plays is upto HIMSELF,...

:bang :bang :bang

One of Gripes with Manuel is that he doesn't stand u for his players. A player can get hosed by an Ump and he doesn't say Squat. Just stands in the dark corner of the Dugout. You can lose players respect like that

That is one of the most overrated cliches in MLb if not sports. A coach doesnt stand up for a player. JM has many of times stood up for his players thru the media and on the field. Just because the guy doesnt show emotion doesn't mean he doesn't have emotion.

He is never going to be a Billy Williams style manager. His type of managing skills seemed to work just fine for the 2 teams in the World Series last year.

Please tell me when he's stood up for his players on the Field??? NOT MANY TIMES

ANOTHER Thing if i'm a player and get hosed and my Manager doesn't back me and I',m right well not going to respect him much IMO

Please tell me when he's stood up for his players on the Field??? NOT MANY TIMES

ANOTHER Thing if i'm a player and get hosed and my Manager doesn't back me and I',m right well not going to respect him much IMO

I don't have the stats for that but he gone out there and argued pelenty of times, not as much as some might, but he's been out there. And he has been tossed for arguing.

He is never going to be a Billy Williams style manager.

Billy Martin?

Ted Williams?

I do not recall Billy Williams ever managing. :huh:

My apologies it was a typo I meant Billy Martin of course.

Hope that settles that mishap.

It settles nothing because now I have a picture in my mind of Billy Dee Williams managing!

I picture a bad call at first and out from the dugout to argue comes Lando Calrissian! It will be a very suave argument though! :lol: