Awful Experience at Sox Park (Cellular Field)

southsideirish

I went to the Sox/Twins game Tuesday night and had an absolutely awful experience. I loved the way the Sox played and I love the stadium itself. The problem I have is with the people that go to the game, and not all of the people.

This is the first time in a long time that I have actually sat down either base line. I usually sit in the outfield seats, so this problem may have existed for a while without me actually noticing it. I have 2 problems with the people that go to the games:

(1) Smoking in the seats

I can't believe nothing is done about this. It seems like a pretty easy thing to take care of. Plus I can't believe people would be so rude and ruin the game and experience for other peolpe.

(2) Getting up and walking the aisles in the middle of an inning while play is going on.

This is something I can't believe exists. What is going on with our "fan base"? I thought that this was a well known courtesy in the baseball world, is it not? Have consideration for others that are actually watching the game and go in between innings or if there is a pitching change. If you don't want to watch the game then why are you going? I was actually embarrassed for these people for not knowing any better. Why can't the White Sox do something about this problem and have people at the top of each aisle chain off the stairs until the inning is over or play has stopped? When play is stopped you can let the people back down. Other stadiums do it, so I know it can be done. This really killed my experience of the game as I was stretching my neck on almost every single pitch. I am a fan that takes pride in the fact that our fan base is so knowledgeable of the game. After seeing this take place I am beginning to think our fan base is not so knowledgeable after all. Either that or they just don't give a s*** about others around them. Either way it is very sad and disappointing.

Edited by southsideirish

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Why can't the White Sox do something about this problem and have people at the top of each aisle chain off the stairs until the inning is over or play has stopped? When play is stopped you can let the people back down. Other stadiums do it, so I know it can be done.

What stadium does that?

Someone was smoking near me monday night too and I dont like that but the seat thing is goin a little far. Sure its a pain when you have to get up for people when someone has to go to the bathroom or is going to get food but that is just part of the experiance of being there IMO. You cant force people to stay in their seats and if you had to go to the bathroom at the end of an inning you come back after it started they cant expect you to wait.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
Someone was smoking near me monday night too and I dont like that but the seat thing is goin a little far. Sure its a pain when you have to get up for people when someone has to go to the bathroom or is going to get food but that is just part of the experiance of being there IMO. You cant force people to stay in their seats and if you had to go to the bathroom at the end of an inning you come back after it started they cant expect you to wait.

It is not that I have to get out of my seat. We were sitting in a row with no one else in it. It is the fact that our fan base, which looks like you are included in it, don't mind getting up and blocking others from watching the game. If it is part of the experience then it shouldn't be. If you come back to go to your seat while play is going on then you should wait until play is stopped. That is the way to do it. You are expected to wait. I don't know when this became so common.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
It is not that I have to get out of my seat. We were sitting in a row with no one else in it. It is the fact that our fan base, which looks like you are included in it, don't mind getting up and blocking others from watching the game. If it is part of the experience then it shouldn't be. If you come back to go to your seat while play is going on then you should wait until play is stopped. That is the way to do it. You are expected to wait. I don't know when this became so common.

If you don't like it, then goto Wrigley, yuppie.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)

99.9% of the time if you go get food or go to the bathroom it takes longer than the break in between innings and im sure as hell not waiting for the next break to go sit down.

QUOTE(sickness212 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
If you don't like it, then goto Wrigley, yuppie.

Unreal! This is our fan base? You really don't understand do you? You are ruining the game for others around you. Maybe you should go to yuppie Wrigley ont he Northside because you would fit right in. There are 30,000 other fans over there exactly like you that don't give a s*** about what is going on on the field or about others around you.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan56789 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
99.9% of the time if you go get food or go to the bathroom it takes longer than the break in between innings and im sure as hell not waiting for the next break to go sit down.

If you wouldn't then that is an asshole move IMO.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Smoke being blown in my face and not being able to see what is going on 90% of the time = awful experience!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure it was 90% of the game.

You said you were the only people in your row, how can people be blowing smoke in your face?

People walking up and down the aisle doesn't distract me at all. They are gone in the blink of an eye. And you said nobody else was in your row so you obvisously didn't have people getting up and trying to get by you at any point.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
I'm sure it was 90% of the game.

You said you were the only people in your row, how can people be blowing smoke in your face?

People walking up and down the aisle doesn't distract me at all. They are gone in the blink of an eye. And you said nobody else was in your row so you obvisously didn't have people getting up and trying to get by you at any point.

So no one sits in the rows behind or in front of me? Common sense here please. Where would the people be walking up and down the aisles from?

I feel for you, but welcome to 2005.

Fan consideration is at an all-time low. People walk in front of you when the game is going on ALL THE TIME. I ask them, as politely as I can, to wait until after the pitch. More often than not, they get bent out of shape.

This is one big reason why quickman got his seats in the Club section, less pedestrian traffic and one would assume a better caliber of individual, i.e. people with consideration of others. Sadly, on Opening Day there was a guy who felt he could walk in and out of the aisle whenever he wanted to. Hockey games at the UC became so frustrating in this respect that it was a major factor in dropping tickets after our family had them for over 40 years.

As for smoking around you, it happens but I have zero tolerance for it. I do not take matters into my own hands but I go and get an usher or security and insist they tell the person to stop smoking. Security will always take care of that. There is no way you should have to put up with smoking around you.

Lastly, regarding the level of knowledge of the White Sox fan base ... there are a lot of casual fans there, for one. Second, there are tons of knowledgeable fans but that does not always translate to considerable knowledgeable fans.

Sox PR and stadium management does a decent job with having the players do taped messages on the scoreboard, i.e. Konerko telling people not to throw stuff on the field, go on the field, and so on. They do need to do a better job educating the fan on Fan Etiquetter though. What is common sense to most is a major revelation to some f***tard who thinks rules don't apply to him. Good example, some person who insists on smoking in the seats, even after they hear the announcements and they know damn well they're not supposed to smoke in the seating area. Worse ... they get indignant when asked to put it out.

Sadly, fans need to be told how to behave in many cases. To be very frank here, I do not find White Sox fans to be the most considerate or well behaved. I've been to many ballparks and Sox fans general simple courtesy is on the lower end. Of course, that is a generalization but I think I'm quite qualified to make it. But a big part of that is the casual fan at the ballpark, and the experienced fan not teaching them.

My father taught me how to be a considerate fan a long time ago. I'm convinced that is where it starts and sadly, it doesn't always start there any more. Parents believe they paid big $$ for their kids to go to a game and the kids are running wild all over the place (see: bleacher seats). But the kids are not the worst, not by a long shot. And it's not just too much beer either. Unfortunately, quite a few fans are clueless about decorum and good behavior or should I say considerate behavior ... and they're ready to knock your block off when you point it out.

End of rant. I feel badly for your negative experience. Unfortunately, it happens all too often.

It's not that hard. Just wait at the end of the aisle until an at-bat is over. Then, excuse yourself and come on in. No one expects a person to wait for 1/2 inning. I walk down with my beer or hot dog or whatever and squat down in the aisle, wait for the at bat to be over and walk in.

It's not rocket science.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
So no one sits in the rows behind or in front of me? Common sense here please. Where would the people be walking up and down the aisles from?

Umm, they're going to and from the food stands and bathrooms. And when people get up in front of you, they are walking, not standing in most cases. It's not like they were standing the whole time, were they? (And if people who are standing up behind you are bothering you, thats a little bit weird. Common sense here please.) It's just part of being in a big group of people.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Umm, they're going to and from the food stands and bathrooms. And when people get up in front of you, they are walking, not standing in most cases. It's not like they were standing the whole time, were they? (And if people who are standing up behind you are bothering you, thats a little bit weird. Common sense here please.) It's just part of being in a big group of people.

So do you know what you are talking about any longer? I was responding to the smoke being blown in my face. Common sense here please. Neither of these things I am talking about just happen to be "part of being in a big group of people." It is called considerationg for others around you.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
So do you know what you are talking about any longer? I was responding to the smoke being blown in my face. Common sense here please. Neither of these things I am talking about just happen to be "part of being in a big group of people." It is called considerationg for others around you.

Clarify yourself next time. Common sense here please.

I just think you expect too much from 18,000 people. When I was at the game in Milwaukee there was a group of idiot Brewers fans in front of us who stood up most of the game and all 10 of them had signs which they would hold up during the game.